Underseat subwoofers- any use?

mn5587

RMS Regular
Drives
CLK 55 AMG
As per title.

I'm trying to get a sub into the car, it can't be in the boot because I don't want to blast the dogs with bass!

There is enough room for a sub and amp under the front seats. Is it worth the bother?

colin84

RMS Regular
Been looking at them myself to replace the ***** subs under e60 seats. I don't think any are amazing, but Vibe ones get good reviews for what they are.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
I fitted an OEM one in my Subaru. Mainly because the head unit is set up for one and has all the controls , and the OEM sound system is as as good as you'd expect from a jap sound system!

I've had a boot sub in all of my cars , don't expect the same as you'd get from them. Mine is an active subwoofer (i think thats what its called) so it does all frequencies rather than just pure base. Obviously you can adjust how much base it pumps out but i was happy to add a little extra overall volume, and have the base set on the higher end of the level to get it pumping.
Was supposed to be under the passenger seat but i have it under drivers so it feels quite effective.

mn5587

RMS Regular
OP
mn5587
Drives
CLK 55 AMG
I fitted an OEM one in my Subaru. Mainly because the head unit is set up for one and has all the controls , and the OEM sound system is as as good as you'd expect from a jap sound system!

I've had a boot sub in all of my cars , don't expect the same as you'd get from them. Mine is an active subwoofer (i think thats what its called) so it does all frequencies rather than just pure base. Obviously you can adjust how much base it pumps out but i was happy to add a little extra overall volume, and have the base set on the higher end of the level to get it pumping.
Was supposed to be under the passenger seat but i have it under drivers so it feels quite effective.

Cheers for that! My next question that I need to answer for myself is how much to spend lol.

I'll have a look at some reviews.

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
Spend as much as you can! JL is great for the size, but as @CharlySkunkWeed says - don't expect big shakes!
For the record, "Active" means that an Amplifier is included in the package and a subwoofer should only reproduce frequencies in the low range, otherwise it's may be of little effect.
I hope this clears up any misinformation that may have been gleaned from the above posts ;)

Amplified Bass Units, Underseat Subwoofers

Last edited:

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
Spend as much as you can! JL is great for the size, but as @CharlySkunkWeed says - don't expect big shakes!
For the record, "Active" means that an Amplifier is included in the package and a subwoofer should only reproduce frequencies in the low range, otherwise it's may be of little effect.
I hope this clears up any misinformation that may have been gleaned from the above posts ;)

Amplified Bass Units, Underseat Subwoofers
What is the correct term then ? For an under seat subwoofer that has the amp built in and does all frequencies (Just like another speaker really)

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
What is the correct term then ? For an under seat subwoofer that has the amp built in and does all frequencies (Just like another speaker really)
Hi Adam,
First-off: I wasn't having a dig at you - just scanned the thread briefly :p
Anyways, an Active sub is one with a built-in amplifier which is the type that you and Gambit are using, I suspect. The Amp is most probably filtered to feed the Speaker with the low frequencies only. If it gives all the frequencies, then it is not a subwoofer, it is as you suggest, merely another full-range speaker - there is absolutely no point to having a full-range speaker under your seat and I doubt if Subaru ever specced that for your car. If it is playing the full range, then there may be controls to set frequency and gain on the box.

if you want to pop round to my place, I can check it and see (well, listen, really).

Gambit

RMS Regular
Hi Adam,
First-off: I wasn't having a dig at you - just scanned the thread briefly :p
Anyways, an Active sub is one with a built-in amplifier which is the type that you and Gambit are using, I suspect. The Amp is most probably filtered to feed the Speaker with the low frequencies only. If it gives all the frequencies, then it is not a subwoofer, it is as you suggest, merely another full-range speaker - there is absolutely no point to having a full-range speaker under your seat and I doubt if Subaru ever specced that for your car. If it is playing the full range, then there may be controls to set frequency and gain on the box.

if you want to pop round to my place, I can check it and see (well, listen, really).

yeah set adams up then send me all the settings!!

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
I thought I had replied but alas it hasn’t posted...

Audio advice have an 8” under the passenger seat of their work caddy van get in touch with em and pop up for a listen, impressive wee system all round in the van tbh

They had a 6” they were also looking to try out

Last edited:

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
Aye i had it set up pretty well until i unplugged it to lend the loom as a sample , and realise the power loss meant all settings went back to factory 😭

Will get it hooked back up for a look. There is a couple of adjusters on the unit itself .

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I assume these would still work/sound ok in the boot? Thinking about adding something in the A6 and there would be space in either side pocket in the boot. I had an 8” active Alpine in the X5 and for the size/price it was actually hilarious. Was evening thinking about getting the same, and making my own smaller enclosure for it that would fit behind said pocket.

Also tempted just to let AA do it, but have always been afraid of what they’d charge!

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Scratch that, found a thread online where someone added a sub and amp to the existing system, and sub level is controlled through car setting.

They used an amp which doesn’t need a remote wire for signal, apparently some use speaker wire input? Anyone know how to narrow down which amps this applies to? @Del?

74121892-CEE0-4197-B610-525603D2EF47.jpeg

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
Could be an audison or hertz amp?

The mrs has one of them subs in kodiaq now if ya wanted to have a look/listen at some point

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
An under seat one or just aftermarket?

It seems that most amps actually do auto-sensing. Failing that it’s just a case of connecting the remote to an ignition live anyway, doesn’t necessarily need to go to the HU.

Last edited:

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
Just a wee sub in box can’t mind if it’s 6/8 but it slots in under the back row of seating in the boot

Mark Irwin

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Golf
Not under seat but I put a small Blaupunkt active amp in the boot of my mk2 Golf that tucks into the back corner and it sounds really well; not sure if they do under seat ones

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
It’s just the OEM system.

How did you connect the amp to the oem wiring?

Nigelo

RMS Regular
It’s just the OEM system.

How did you connect the amp to the oem wiring?

Is that the Harman kardon upgrade, or the basic one?

I bought a special harness adaptor, which split off the bass channels from the car audio harness at the amp in the boot (while still having the underseat subs connected). I then connected them to a voltage line converter as the HK amp outputs a very high signal that amps (even ones with speaker - level inputs) don't like, then connected that via RCA's to the amp. The line converter also provides a switch on wire for the amp too.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
This is in an Audi, so no Harmon Kardon.

Do you have the make and model of the adapter and I’ll see if it works with any manufacturer?

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Is it a line output adapter?

It’s what seems to be required. However some folk appear to have done the install without 1, though not sure how they connect it al up without RCA’s.

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
My old faithful 12" MTX
20181124_211048.jpg

20181121_124330.jpg

I have had it since my first car at 17, I got it from Halfords Boucher Rd! Lol.
Added it to my Leon now!
Still sounds well!