unhealthy desire for a v10... M5?

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
I loved mine I really did, however mine was the DP’s car so virtually new and in the first 18 months it had £12.5 (I think) if warranty work, and that’s on a new one.

That said, they are at an age now where spares are plentiful and everyone has sussed our repairs and fixes for the most common issues.
Also as @Woodcutter says that V10 is simply glorious, I still get sexually aroused thinking about it 😆

I think if you’ve the want, I’d go for it, they really are quite special, and those Audi V10’s are totally different, much more sedate

dddrrift

RMS Regular
OP
dddrrift
I loved mine I really did, however mine was the DP’s car so virtually new and in the first 18 months it had £12.5 (I think) if warranty work, and that’s on a new one.

That said, they are at an age now where spares are plentiful and everyone has sussed our repairs and fixes for the most common issues.
Also as @Woodcutter says that V10 is simply glorious, I still get sexually aroused thinking about it 😆

I think if you’ve the want, I’d go for it, they really are quite special, and those Audi V10’s are totally different, much more sedate

From all my 'youtube' research it seems the audi variant does appear much calmer. I also prefer the fact the M5 is RWD and likes to get excited.... traction is over rated.

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack

I've still yet to have a run in one (n) though hoping that will change this weekend.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
I have to say they're at a point now where they are very tempting, horror stories or not.

I've only driven one a few times and found that I didn't gel with the SMG box, same as most SMG E46 m3s I've driven. Saying that none were mine so wasn't inclined to drive any way agressively, I think they'd be better at that.

Realistically, how hard would they be to work on if you weren't relying on using it all the time and didn't really mind about resale? Also, how expensive are manual box's from the US versions?

dddrrift

RMS Regular
OP
dddrrift
i loved my SMG e46, takes some getting used to though. Would nearly prefer an SMG over a manual actually!

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
i test drove one a few years ago and wasn't impressed..... the engine is good, gearbox i didn't gel with... and i didn't feel the chassis was great. that said, part of me wished i'd bought a touring one years ago before they shot up... as that woudl be a seriously useful and fun tool for me right now.

as others have said there will never me cars like that again.... as long as you can swallow a 2-3K bill the odd time, and at least be mentally prepared for worse IF you were unlucky.. i'd say for for it...

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
This whole SMG gearbox thing kills me, and I know I’m not the only one.

It gets such bad press but the reality is what
it is designed to do it does remarkably well, it’s NOT an auto, nor is it supposed to be !
It’s a manual gearbox with with no clutch pedal, you need to drive exactly as that and lift slight between changes etc just as you would in a full blown manual.
Between my CSL & my E60 M5 I never had any issues or problems with the gearboxes and also on the American forums they used to rant and rave about the manual box, you know with 6 gears not 7 🤦‍♂️
These engines were designed to work with 7 ratios and the SMG box, if it’s rough it needs to be recalibrated and the bite point adjusted and then honestly imo it’s a joy

Odhran

RMS Regular
Drives
A5 Sportback
No E60.

You can get an oil analysis done to see if there's any sign of impending doom. Not sure how feasible that would be as part of a purchase though!

Someone somewhere runs them to 100k+ miles so they can't all be bad?
It was the F10.

trev 1515

RMS Regular
Drives
E39 M5 Evo ix

it is designed to do it does remarkably well, it’s NOT an auto, nor is it supposed to be !
It’s a manual gearbox with with no clutch pedal, you need to drive exactly as that and lift slight between changes etc just as you would in a full blown manual.
Between my CSL & my E60 M5 I never had any issues or problems with the gearboxes and also on the American forums they used to rant and rave about the manual box, you know with 6 gears not 7 🤦‍♂️
These engines were designed to work with 7 ratios and the SMG box, if it’s rough it needs to be recalibrated and the bite point adjusted and then honestly imo it’s a joy

I drove one about ten years ago and they really are class when everything is working. Bounced in and had no issues with the smg. Still have never tried the e46 smg, although I think it would suit me more than the manual 6 speed.

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack

Very well put Chris, had this exact conversation about the gearbox tonight. Has to be treated like a manual without a clutch 100%.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34

I think SMG boxes are subjective to be honest, in full auto any I've driven have been utter crap.

Driving them the way they're meant to be driven I'm not sure, there are definitely good and bad ones (E46 M3s seem to suffer from this than E60 m5's). Any I've driven I've not pushed too far as they're not mine. I appreciate what they are, but I'd also prefer something less clunky day to day.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
This is classic rms, wants a drivers car.. Every one mentions VAG 😂😂

Whilst I agree with this at base level, there's nothing more utterly cringeworthy than people talking about 'drivers cars' regardless of what they are.