Unpopular Opinions - The Car Edition…

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Given the vast array of interests across the car spectrum, and varied backgrounds of the members on here, I figured this could make an interesting thread.

So, what’s something you don’t agree with the masses on when it comes to cars, or anything car related…? What vehicle does everyone else seem to gush over while you’re scratching your head trying to see the appeal…?

I’ll start with:

People that say “diesel cars are boring” have never driven a decent diesel in a spirited manner, and I don’t just mean a mapped Golf or screwed out D Turbo of yester-year.

White Corsa D drivers have to be some of the worst drivers on the road.

I find ‘super cars’ or ‘hyper cars’ boring and somewhat unnecessary.

Go…

KevM

RMS Regular
Working On It GIF by Hostinger

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
E type jags are nowhere close to the most beautiful car ever made. In fact they're horribly proportioned in general.

Except for low drag ones.

Specific marque owners clubs are full of the worst of the car 'scene', eg ford owners or the Porsche dullards.

Modern turbo cars sound terrible, eg M3/M4s and S3 Audi's etc.

People who think slow cars aren't fun and base their opinion on BHP or 0-60 times don't get fun driving.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
The French, Italian and British car industry gets panned a lot, sometimes for good reason but mostly just because of Top Gear or internet forum sound bites. But they were the most innovative car making nations and made a lot of spectacularly good cars.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Anything Hyundai / the owner.. You just know they will be sheite at everything to do with driving and usually a full on weirdo

Pointlessly large jeep type things cause suddenly the couple have one child. Away and feck, absolutely no need.

Last edited:

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Tesla’s…I don’t get the hype at all. I don’t think they are a particularly nice looking car, design hasn’t really changed over the years, the Model X or Y? Not sure, (the tall one) is a bit ugly imo and the interiors are way too plain for me. The only redeeming feature is the power they have but most EVs are fast these days or at least there’s a fast model among most brands.

@Eager i feel so hurt right now

IMG_3827.jpeg

Chris100

RMS Regular
Tesla’s…I don’t get the hype at all. I don’t think they are a particularly nice looking car, design hasn’t really changed over the years, the Model X or Y? Not sure, (the tall one) is a bit ugly imo and the interiors are way too plain for me. The only redeeming feature is the power they have but most EVs are fast these days or at least there’s a fast model among most brands.

@Eager i feel so hurt right now

View attachment 439187

You forgot terrible build quality.

Nicky

RMS Regular
OP
Nicky
Drives
HiluxSurf
I'd agree with the super/hypercars, just don't like them.
Impractical ornaments for people with more money than sense.

A bit like the 80+ year old bint I met on the road in Clonvaraghan the other day that was driving a Bentley Bentayga. She was 18 inches or more from the grass verge on her side and just stopped dead and looked at me in a unit and low loader… Wasn’t a hope I was getting a wheelbarrow past her, never mind an 8 1/2ft wide loader, so I’d to reverse around a couple of bends to a junction and sit there and wait for her to try and pull over…

Who needs a £200k SUV, never mind an aul critter that age that can’t drive…? 🤦‍♂️

Rigger

RMS Regular
Drives
XJR A4 Avant
Any electric car. Think we're being led down the wrong path by ecomentalists and vote hungry politicians.

EVs are now being sold as mobile white goods imo. Battery goes, well just like your new mobile phone battery that will be too expensive to replace, just buy a new one.

Hydrogen at least you can piece part replace any faulty component on the engine. Though the car industry would rather you spend your hard earned on a new car. Yeah, nah - fck that. Probably why 2nd hand values on EVs are cr@p.

Also, why does Jag still have that old man image and questions over reliability from 50 yrs ago? Had 4 now ( all modern), only replaced them due to upgrading the engine. Also been some of the most reliable cars I've had. Add to that, not one bit of oak or walnut in the interior. Seen more old man wood interiors in BMWs🤣

Edit - @redxl77 , guilty as charged. XJR doesn't even have folding seats 🤣 That's why I bought the A4 Avant😉

Last edited:

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
Also, why does Jag still have that old man image and questions over reliability
Re Jag - my mother in law, my mums neighbour and a fella in work, all have F-Pace that snapped the crank. Only last week my mums neighbours 25 month old car, did the crank driving into a multi storey car park in Cork. Currently lying at the dealer with a solicitors letter going to Jag UK.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
The French, Italian and British car industry gets panned a lot, sometimes for good reason but mostly just because of Top Gear or internet forum sound bites. But they were the most innovative car making nations and made a lot of spectacularly good cars.
I got so sick of people who barely knew what a 155 was in terms of their racing pedigree in BTCC and other similar national championships but could shout 'you're not a petrolhead until you've owned an Alfa Romeo' at you in a forecourt and expect some sort of similar response. The next sentence would be 'I suppose it's rusty as feck and never starts'. Top Gear was responsible for so much ignorance and hatred of certain car marques because of the bull**** that was spouted. I knew of a few British car clubs that had to start vetting members as they were getting people who were finding out where meets were and trying to damage cars 'because they were sh1t'. Top Gear can go in a raging bin fire as far as I'm concerned tbh.

Rigger

RMS Regular
Drives
XJR A4 Avant
Re Jag - my mother in law, my mums neighbour and a fella in work, all have F-Pace that snapped the crank. Only last week my mums neighbours 25 month old car, did the crank driving into a multi storey car park in Cork. Currently lying at the dealer with a solicitors letter going to Jag UK.
I guess I've been lucky (so far);)

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides

The greatest trick Tata ever pulled was convincing the badge obsessed public since 2008 that their cars (labelled as Range Rover and Jaguar) are “premium” vehicles.
It’s genius in fairness.