Urgent advice engine timing

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
Hi all,

Sorry I put his here to get a faster response hopefully.

I'm doing a timing belt change, and upon lining up the marks before removing the old belt. The crank pulley looks 1/2 - 1 one tooth put. Please see pictures.

Should I keep the cams locked and carefully realign the crank pulley before putting the new belt on?

It's a Vauxhall z18xe engine

Thanks in advance,

Warren
20210612_105716_HDR.jpg
20210612_105726_HDR.jpg

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Yes, keep the cams locked and re-align the crank. Most good belt kits like gates have Mark's on the belt too which can be useful.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Tensioned? Spun the engine over couple of times by hand? Are these floating cam pulleys? Not sure you’re going to get it bang on looking at that belt tbh but I’m not an expert.

roverspeed

RMS Regular
OP
roverspeed
Drives
Insignia
Not floating cams, just fixed, yes turned a good few times by hand. Always lined up like that. The cams are perfect the crank is just that little bit out.

I'll turn it a few more times by hand, I don't have the belt off, just been draining coolant etc.

I'll check the belt, it's a Gates powergrip belt kit I have so might well have makers.

At least I know the compression is good in the engine!

Will let you know how it goes lol
It's slack in the belt, one of the tensioners must be tired. Glad I'm changing them.

I moved it with the belt still on and the cam lock on and everything lined up.

Thanks for your help everyone

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
Is this the same family of engine as the 2.0 vectra mk2. I did the belt on one and couldn’t get the timing marks perfect they were always a touch off. Car ran perfect anyway.

roverspeed

RMS Regular
OP
roverspeed
Drives
Insignia
Hi all, sorry ít didn't put my other reply in.

Yes just after I posted I saw the slack on the right and everything sat ok once that was rotated a touch.

Would have been an easy job had the belt tensioner bolt not rounded off and the water pump be totally jammed in the block.

All done now, and running good as ever. Even running cooler than before.

Though honestly, everything I took off looked grand. There was supposed to be 30k on the belt etc and they looked like new. Perhaps someone did the belt and didn't record it. Oh well, all done now