Used Car - Replacement Engine

Steve C

RMS Regular
Hello all, it's been a while. I'm hoping for some guidance.

I recently traded my car into a used car dealer. A really nice guy by the way, and bought a used Grand Vitara from him.

The car had some problems, dpf light, glow plug light, injector light, losing power, etc. I took it back to him and we had a chat. I could have had a refund but did a deal for another car, an i20 with 34k on it.

This was last week. So roll forward to tonight and there was a whine, so my mate (a mechanic) was over and I changed the oil and filters while he was here. The whine turns out to be the gearbox. The car has also had an engine, the number doesn't match the log book and there's marks from a scrapyard on it.

I've dropped the ball here, I know. The dealer has a good reputation locally and I trusted him.

How should I play this?
I'm about £3000 into this by the way.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Go back to him and see what he will do regarding the whine from the gearbox.

I don’t see the issue regarding the engine change though, as long as it’s doing what it should be doing by starting and stopping ok and running fine. I’ve replaced plenty of engines, and I’d nearly bet my last £1 that not 1 of the log books have been updated to show the new engine number.

Steve C

RMS Regular
OP
Steve C
Buying from a dealer though, surely this should be pointed out?

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
He probably wasn’t even aware of the engine change. I doubt any dealer checks engine number against logbooks to be fair.

Steve C

RMS Regular
OP
Steve C
Maybe not but I bought this as a low mileage car with FSH. It's not as described. It certainly doesn't have FSH if there's no record of a replacement engine and I've no idea how many miles is on the engine or how it's been maintained.

The onus is on the dealer to ensure that what he's selling is as described.

Steve C

RMS Regular
OP
Steve C
I made contact this morning. I've to call him after 9.15. I'm sure he's not happy either.

Steve C

RMS Regular
OP
Steve C
This is where we're at. I knew he was a decent guy.

Attachments

• 20190924_155705.jpg
    20190924_155705.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 401

zafturbo

RMS Regular
So I’m on the lookout for a Hyundai i20 next week,what ur saying is not to buy one with 34k miles then .interesting to see if it goes back up forsale or if it gets punted on through the system.

Steve C

RMS Regular
OP
Steve C
I can't fault the guys service at all, I think I've just been unlucky.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
What size of outfit is he running? Couple of cars here and there or a proper sales yard? Hopefully stays true to his word

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Fair play to him for a no hassle return and refund. Unfortunately there’s not many dealers would be as obliging.

I imagine he was very much in the dark regarding the engine swap too, until you brought it to his attention.

Steve C

RMS Regular
OP
Steve C
I think so. He's dealt with this really professionally and even whilst processing the refund he was chatting away, no issue at all. This is him here, and even though it didn't work out for me I'd have no bother recommending him if he has a car you're interested in. Straight guy, very decent.

colin84

RMS Regular
So who was the dealer then?

I wasn't so lucky with one of my cars, it took me 2 years to get my money back from the dealer. Good job yours is a decent sort.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I think so. He's dealt with this really professionally and even whilst processing the refund he was chatting away, no issue at all. This is him here, and even though it didn't work out for me I'd have no bother recommending him if he has a car you're interested in. Straight guy, very decent.

Good to know and thanks for updating the thread.

Chris_702

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
Fair play to him - his response could have been a tad better but at the end of the day it was dealt with accordingly and refund processed.

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
Fair play to him - his response could have been a tad better but at the end of the day it was dealt with accordingly and refund processed.
What I read from that is that he's just realised he's been caught with a rotten plum as well, and so his reply is as polite as he can manage while inside he's fuming. Too happy and cheery about it and I'd be wondering why so jovial, does he not care?