Used Cars NI - Private sales pricing

Used Cars NI

RMS Regular
Hi RMS users,

I'm posting on here to let you know about some price changes that are a direct result of comments received on the RMS forum.

Some of you might remember that we were asking for feedback on our app. At that time, some users voiced concerns over the pricing structure for private sales.

I'm pleased to let you know that cars valued up to £1500 are now free to list on Used Cars NI!

Cars between £1501-£2500 are £7.99 and cars £2501+ are £14.99.

We want to offer as much value for money as we can, thanks for using the site and hopefully these changes encourage you to list cars with us.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
What’s the difference/what are the benefits in a paid advert vs a free advert to justify the price premium when there’s already so many free advertising platforms online?

RubberLover

RMS Regular
What’s the difference/what are the benefits in a paid advert vs a free advert to justify the price premium when there’s already so many free advertising platforms online?
Probably because it’ll get more eyes than a random site and you pay for that privilege. The fee is minuscule in comparison to the price of a car.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Probably because it’ll get more eyes than a random site and you pay for that privilege. The fee is minuscule in comparison to the price of a car.

I’d say Gumtree and now Marketplace would be a couple of the biggest advertising platforms in NI, and if someone’s looking a car they will no doubt check all available sites anyway. I don’t think I’ve ever looked on UCNI other than when someone has sent a link, but the mobile layout enough would have been enough to put you off even looking at the links.

It was a genuine question though and not a dig at them charging whatever they wish to charge.

RubberLover

RMS Regular
I’d say Gumtree and now Marketplace would be a couple of the biggest advertising platforms in NI, and if someone’s looking a car they will no doubt check all available sites anyway.

It was a genuine question though and not a dig at them charging whatever they wish to charge.
Not saying you were having a dig at all. Obviously different companies have different business models.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
I’d say Gumtree and now Marketplace would be a couple of the biggest advertising platforms in NI, and if someone’s looking a car they will no doubt check all available sites anyway. I don’t think I’ve ever looked on UCNI other than when someone has sent a link, but the mobile layout enough would have been enough to put you off even looking at the links.

I think you're in the minority though if you never look at UCNI, I would use it more than any other site for cars in NI.

The vast majority of people buying a car are not petrolheads and not savvy searchers like many RMS'ers would be, so they're likely to go to AT and UCNI before anywhere else.

Good move on the free listings, as that currently seems to be where Facebook and Gumtree are popular.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
So only folk selling sub £2500 cars are seeing any benefit over the current setup?

To be honest UCNI is a site I always begrudgingly advertise on just because I feel I don’t want to miss out on any local interest, however each time I wonder why I actually bother when so few folk seem to use it. I genuinely don’t think I will next time though, it just doesn’t seem to have anything going for it compared to Autotrader for example.

If it was cheaper, and the adverts were live for longer it would make it far more appealing.

Last edited:

Dan.86

RMS Regular
Won’t be using UCNI any more I’m afraid.

With the app currently showing nearly 24,000 adverts, beggars belief why the costs would be that high.

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
£5 for all cars would be a better option. You're going to end up advertising a shed load of <£1500 scrap if you let them advertise for free. Costs are the same to you whether the car is worth £500 or £50k so I don't understand the logic of tiered pricing system.

Personally I hate searching gumtree or marketplace as you have to scroll through a load of irrelevant crap .

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
I expect there'll be an influx of people listing expensive cars for £1 too, to get them advertised.

Same as people do with mileage- 106 is actually 106k etc.

Exactly. One fixed price for everything would help stop that sort of nonsense.

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Autotrader - £4.99 for 4 weeks - Have an app - Block your phone number with an alternative number which cuts out time wasters - up to 20 pics

What does UCNI offer again?

I was a big fan of UCNI back in the day, £4.99 for 4 weeks plus a further 4 weeks free if it didn't sell. I don't even look on UCNI any more as at £50 to advertise a car its likely they will be over priced to start with!

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
You guys are having a laugh! When it was £7.99 for 2 weeks it was too expensive compared to competition, never mind making those who aren't selling a 15 year old Toyota foot the bill for everyone else. You've listened to nobody and the only reason you're offering free ads for sub £1500 cars is to get traffic to your site and as there are very very few cars advertising on UCNI under £1500, it won't hit you in the pocket. How about you actually listen to your potential customers and drop the price in line with everyone else, until then, I'll continue to advertise successfully on Autotrader for 1/3 of the price for 4 times as long.

I advertised on UCNI a number of times and never had a single call or text from it, Autotrader on the other hand is £4.95 for 8 weeks and covers 40 times the population, not to mention has an app that we can actually accurately refine and search on.

RallyCiaran

RMS Regular
Drives
Nova 1600 8v
I don’t think you’ve listened at all. A fiver for Autotrader vs. £15?! Plus you get much longer on Autotrader

Autotrader - £4.99 for 4 weeks - Have an app - Block your phone number with an alternative number which cuts out time wasters - up to 20 pics

Autotrader on the other hand is £4.95 for 8 weeks and covers 40 times the population,

Can someone tell me how to get the £5 Autotrader listings? I'm trying to sell a car and have never seen it at that price.

Steve

RMS Regular
Drives
Bus
I expect there'll be an influx of people listing expensive cars for £1 too, to get them advertised.

This is exactly what I thought reading the first post. The real price will be in the description.

Smick

RMS Regular
Drives
CLA45
I wonder have they thought of the use case of listing it for £1 (free) and then editing changing the price to >£2500 ;)