Using 0000 steel wool on a windscreen

Walder

RMS Regular
After a friend recommended using 0000 steel wool on the windscreen to remove imperfections I laughed at him then googled a bit, read a bit on detailing world.

Then I closed my eyes and gave my windscreen a rub and I have to say it done a fine job getting rid of loads of little pit marks etc windscreen looks crystal clear. I have no before picture as it's lashing down here.

I would introduced it as part of a cleaning routine maybe once a year or something as I would be too scared of destroying the window. But I would definitely recommend it and for. 3 quid from amazon.

-Pete-

RMS Regular
good to know. I have some out in the garage so might be worth a try as mine is pretty speckled up and I'm ready to get it replaced on the insurance at this rate. worth trying before I get to that stage.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Great tip! I need to do this on my workhorse, it has loads of fine swipe marks from the window wipers over the years, wrecks me in winter with other people’s lights.

Laundrymike

RMS Regular
Drives
T4, S3, Mini
Thanks for the tip - gonna practice on my existing (cracked) screen before I get it replaced!

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
I’ve seen this recommended on here before either by bigpete or bigpimp can’t remember which

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
I think @Big Pimp recommended fairy liquid when he told me about this a while back. I would imagine lazer to do an equally good if not better job?

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
Yep. 0000 wire wool and a soapy solution will get rid of scum marks and years worth of dirt and crap on the windscreen

Walder

RMS Regular
OP
Walder
I just blattered away circles and straight lines depending on the reach of my t rex arms.

I never spent more than 5 minutes on the whole windscreen as I was dubious and didn't want to over do it. But no issues noted.

Last edited:

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Gonna give this a go here, got Some 0000 out of homebase for a couple of quid so hopefully it gets rid of the fine swipe marks from the wipers and grit over the years

Ghost

RMS Regular
Gonna give this a go here, got Some 0000 out of homebase for a couple of quid so hopefully it gets rid of the fine swipe marks from the wipers and grit over the years
Interested how it turns out.... Before and afters?

Stu Beck

RMS Regular
I tried this myself and it has made the windscreen like new. Unbelievable difference. I sprayed on some glass cleaner and used it to lube it a bit. Then used kitchen roll to take it off.