VAG 2.0 TDi CR engine

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Looking at a water damaged Sharan on CoPart at the minute, half tempted if it doesn't go for silly money (most likely will though!)

Question is, are the 2.0 CR engines fairly similar in the same layout of car, ie, Golf, Passat, Leon etc.

I know that the older PD engines block and head were basically the same throughout the various outputs, just external hardware, and injectors really.

CR's vary in price from £500 - £3,000, so hoping the cheaper one will work if the worst happens and its bent a rod or 2!

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
The engines are basically the same, yes. Only thing to watch out for is the early 2.0 CR engines had a seperate EGR valve on the intake manifold whereas later ones were built into the EGR cooler on the back of the block, and the early ones had a ‘Gen 1’ fuel system that had an auxiliary electrical fuel pump in the engine bay in the timing belt casing area.

AMG

RMS Regular
OP
AMG
Drives
Anything
The engines are basically the same, yes. Only thing to watch out for is the early 2.0 CR engines had a seperate EGR valve on the intake manifold whereas later ones were built into the EGR cooler on the back of the block, and the early ones had a ‘Gen 1’ fuel system that had an auxiliary electrical fuel pump in the engine bay in the timing belt casing area.
So if i stick to an engine of same age I should be OK and swap bits of existing engine over?
Not that I think I will have much bother with it, just trying to do a bit of homework.

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
So if i stick to an engine of same age I should be OK and swap bits of existing engine over?
Not that I think I will have much bother with it, just trying to do a bit of homework.
Pretty much! Not many differences in them. Base motors are all really the same.

Reactions: AMG