VAG CR TDI 170 experience

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Anyone have first hand experience of the CR 170 TDI vag engines (2010ish onwards) and what they are like MPG wise in real life? Any real issues to watch out for on them? Anything i can find online generally seems to be positive but seems to be a lot of people confusing this engine with the same PD that came just before it? Pokey enough for what they are?

Is it right the timing belt is recommended at 130k?! :eek: Or should that be 'or 10 years, whatever comes first'?

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
Pokey enough. Been averaging 35 in an A4 Allroad manual, mix of town and country roads. Hasn't needed anything unusual. 2wd car would do better obviously.

HairyPotter

RMS Regular
Drives
Exeo
Had an Exeo 170 CR for about 7 years as a daily, mostly going Portstewart - belfast and back (60 miles each way), averaged 45-47MPG
biggest bill i had was changing the cambelt, i think it's 120k /5 years recommended

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
I look after a VRs Octavia with the CR engine, in the space of 6 months it's had a turbo and has failed to start twice due to what I can only assume is due to being switched off mid regen, it has certainly put me off owning one but other than that, he loves it and is getting a steady 50mpg running Bangor to Holywood twice a day for school runs.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
Fella in work had a Leon fr with the 170 engine mapped to over 200 hp and he has had no bother. It only had about 70k on it though so maybe not the best car to gauge by.

bmurf

RMS Regular
Drives
200sx
Skoda superb 170 and engine wise so far no problems so far. 2 1/2 years and never had a dpf regen. I did get it at 50k miles and has just turned 80k now. I had a 2008 mondeo 140, and 2007 vectra 150 cdti before. The Skoda is a bit harder on diesel than both on short runs ( not sure mpg) but close to the same on longer runs motorway (around 50mpg). I have a tdi tuning box on it and it goes well enough, hopefully getting a remap soon enough too

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
Drives
Stuff
Missus had a 170 in a 2011 Scirocco for around 3 years. She used it as her company car on the road every day all over Ireland. It seen a lot of motorway use but also a lot of ***** roads and she drove it flat out everywhere. It never put a foot wrong and needed nothing other than the usual services, belts etc when they were due.

It was never mapped but it was nippy and nice to drive. I think it averaged low to mid 50s MPG wise.

She sold it with around 100k on it. I think she got it with 45k or so.

Ian A

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Audi A4 with one fitted.

Find it gutless enough, some software would definitely help but big heavy estate, it’s not bad.

No issues, but only owned for 3k now

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
I had the 170 in the superb estate guise and loved it… as a family wagon it did everything effortlessly and still went ok

Could handily achieve 50-60mpg on good runs too

Serviced every 10k never needed anything over and above oils and filters… ran a tuning box for a while too

Missus had 170 in the a4 tho and it needed a turbo at about 60/70k

Tam9n

RMS Regular
Drives
Polo 9n3 GTi
Had a B7 Passat estate with the CR170 in it, driven over the past 3 years and covered nearly 50k in my ownership. It’s now touching 155k and hasn’t had any engine related issues at all. Just servicing as needed.

Get about 750miles out of a tank on average, and it’s a Celtic tuning map too for good measure

BurningSmell

RMS Regular
Have a 2012 Alhambra with the CR170, sitting at 97k.
Nice to have a bit more poke for something big, especially when we load it camping with 3 kids and roof box, can shift for a big wagon.
Bought from dealer and issues within first few months fixed under warranty with AdBlue, then have had injector issue 18 months ago and again a few weeks ago, also changed fuel rail pressure sensor which seemed to be the main issue for us.
Normally getting around 40mpg mixture of school runs and days out.

Last edited: