VAG Headunit

fj1200aa

RMS Regular
Drives
Seat
Head is pickled looking for a decent Chinese Android headunit, there is way to much to choose from.
What is current flavour of the month.
For a MK2 TT.
Cheers
@Coog would appreciate your thoughts

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I’d say @Lyons would know better than I would tbh.

I normally stick an Erisin unit in. 8gb ram, digital equaliser, wireless CarPlay. Specs might have moved on a bit since last year but that seems to have everything I need. I’d avoid the cheaper android units and the older OEM ones tend to work well but look like they have screens lifted out of a colour etch a sketch.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Wouldn’t be too clued up on my Chinese units. I do usually consider them, but then always end up defaulting to a Pioneer or something!

I had a Pioneer in both my Mk2’s, easy enough job with the fascia surround and correct wiring adapter.

If you stick to an Erisin as Coog has mentioned, then at least it would be plug and play with no fascia’s etc needed.

IMG_2966.jpeg

fj1200aa

RMS Regular
OP
fj1200aa
Drives
Seat
Cheers guys will take a look at a suitable Pioneer head unit.

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
I’d say @Lyons would know better than I would tbh.

I normally stick an Erisin unit in. 8gb ram, digital equaliser, wireless CarPlay. Specs might have moved on a bit since last year but that seems to have everything I need. I’d avoid the cheaper android units and the older OEM ones tend to work well but look like they have screens lifted out of a colour etch a sketch.

I'm considering an Erisin unit for the MK5. I want android auto etc however I need a physical volume knob in my life and not too many aftermarket units offer them. Kenwood kept rotary volume control a bit longer than the other big name manufacturers but seem to have dumped them now too.

I've been looking at this one

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I'm considering an Erisin unit for the MK5. I want android auto etc however I need a physical volume knob in my life and not too many aftermarket units offer them. Kenwood kept rotary volume control a bit longer than the other big name manufacturers but seem to have dumped them now too.

I've been looking at this one

Im the same. I hate button volume and much prefer OEM look too.

This is the one I have in my MK5. The one you linked appears to be a newer version.

It links to canbus and so steering wheel controls work out of the box. You can also link it to a ODB reader for diagnostics and onscreen stats if you’re that way inclined (I’m not).

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
After a lot of research I decided against one of the cheaper android units. Some have no problems with them and some have a complete nightmare and knowing my luck it would be the latter for me.

I'm going with a JVC unit. It doesn't have rotary volume control but has gesture control which is the next best thing. DAB+, wireless and wired android auto and carplay so ticks all the boxes for me. Haven't ordered it yet as I've a couple of cars to sell before funds can be released 😂

Link to the US version. UK version is the same except has the DAB

Last edited:

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
So the hinky Chinese android unit in my mk5 golf has decided to restart every 5 minutes. I really only use it for DAB and for maps now and then. The Erisin units above are in the running. Any others I should consider without going silly money for a 17 year old car?

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Erisin still working well in my mk5. Occasionally the wireless CarPlay will fail to connect which will need a reboot of the machine, otherwise absolutely brilliant and just as good as the set up in my mk7.5 to be honest.

Avoid the cheaper Chinese ones they’re absolutely crap!