Van Tax - Euro 4 Compliant?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Cunning

RMS Regular
Maybe someone can help,

I have searched the forum and the web but haven't uncovered much. I bought a van a couple of days ago, its a 2006 Renault Trafic 1.9tdci. Having looked at van tax rates online I expected it to cost me £140/year to tax. Got the old man to tax it for me yesterday and they charged £232.50.

As I understand, to qualify for £140 tax bracket the van has to be "Euro 4 Lights Good Vehicle" See below screenshot from gov tax website:

upload_2017-1-25_11-58-14.png

So the next question is, how do I know if my van is Euro 4 Compliant? My research says that its to do with CO2 emissions, and according to wikipedia, Euro 4 has a CO2 g/km limit of 0.74 (see screenshot)

upload_2017-1-25_12-1-14.png

So, back to the DVLA website, and according to results by entering in reg plate (see below) one would conclude that the van is Euro 4 Compliant? (see CO2 Emissions)

upload_2017-1-25_12-2-15.png

Can anyone help to clear this up, I imagine the post office chuck your reg into their system and it automatically tells them the rate of tax, but given the grey area and lack of information on the web it might be worth a fight for the guts of a hundred quid?

Anyone else any experience of this?

Cheers

Mark_C

RMS Regular
I would think there is something wrong with the info on that site, as 0 is not a sensible value for a diesel engine.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
If it's Euro4, it will say it on your V5.

But....around that time it seems to be strange, and can also depend what it was initially registered on.

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
Half the vans in the north were register incorrectly and at the normal tax bracket, a 2006 caddy is euro 4 for example and a few years ago was £140. As stevie says if not on your taxbook prepare to pay the full rate of tax. You can argue your case in swansea with certificates of conformity from renault stating your van with vin number is euro 4, if you are not planning on keeping the van a few years or mor its not worth the hassle.

Bryan

RMS Regular
I only ever had one van that fell into that cheaper category over the years and it was an ex Royal Mail Fiat Doblo 1.3JTd. Even my old Kangoo 1.5dci cost over £200 a year to tax.

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
Wasn't 2006 a changeover year for different tax brackets? Early 2006 vehicles are on the old system and anything after that will be on the newer system. I suspect it will come down to month of registration rather that any engine euro4 compliance

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Wasn't 2006 a changeover year for different tax brackets? Early 2006 vehicles are on the old system and anything after that will be on the newer system. I suspect it will come down to month of registration rather that any engine euro4 compliance

There is definitely an element of that. The lower tax costs around 2006 do cover almost only a few months it seems.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.