Vectra 2.2 DTi engine

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

TRDcelica

RMS Member
Drives
350z
any one know what the Vectra (02/03) 2.2 dti engine is like for reliability?

any known issues etc

ZS

Banned
Drives
Astra 2.0DTi SXi
2.2DTi is pretty much a long stroke (ooh er) version of the 2.0DTi engine I have, though there's a few differences.

Simarities between the engines are it's a chain driven single cam, 16v engine with direct injection.

The 2.2 has a variable vane Garrett turbo, and I think still has a EGR system in place, compared to the 2.0DTi just has a standard Garrett and thankfully no EGR.

The 2.2 also has balancers shafts to reduce the heavy vibration you get on hard acceleration. The 2.2 outputs 130hp and 210lb/ft torque - a conservative remap will see 150hp and a good 260lb/ft.

Only main issue with the two engines is the VP44 injection pump, which can take a dump if you use poor quality diesel. The VP44 gives the same issues on all engines it's used on - it's a high pressure electronically controlled pump and poor quality fuel will make it seize up and die horribly.

If you use decent diesel you shouldn't have any issues though, I've seen them still running at well over 200k on the original pump and only maybe it's second turbo.

If the 2.2 is anything like my 2.0, yo'll be wise to ignore the 20k service intervals. Mine has the oil trashed to death after 6k if it's dealer fitted semi-synth. I use a synthetic 10W40 for diesels, and the engine runs much better on it.

Any other queries, let me know. ;)

Bibby

RMS Regular
Drives
Holden Omega Ute
they are the same engine as in the saab 93
mechanical issues, the rubber piping on the injectors go providing it's not the common rail engine
the intercooler pipes blow off, or burst
the mass air flow meter's go, and if realy unlucky, they start burning oil bad and stop lubing the top of the engine, stick valves and need new heads, have done quite a few lol
the timing chains also stretch if heavy driving or high miles causing the valves to bounce also
but they are a nice looking motor!

soundz_good

Drives
Avensis T-Spirit
Bibby said:
they are the same engine as in the saab 93
mechanical issues, the rubber piping on the injectors go providing it's not the common rail engine
the intercooler pipes blow off, or burst
the mass air flow meter's go, and if realy unlucky, they start burning oil bad and stop lubing the top of the engine, stick valves and need new heads, have done quite a few lol
the timing chains also stretch if heavy driving or high miles causing the valves to bounce also
but they are a nice looking motor!

I have one it gets serviced every 7-10K.
I put 50k on mine from I got it, I have only had to replace rear shocks, probably due to towing. I also had a problem with all the feckin micro switches but vauxhall replaced them no probs. Nice big (not very exciting) car that will go well if looked after.

ZS

Banned
Drives
Astra 2.0DTi SXi
My 2.0DTi Astra was used for towing by the boy who had her before me. 32k of heavy use, and I drive the crap out of it and it's sitting at 45k now without a problem (other than new brake discs and ARB link arms).

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.