Vectra front wheel bearing

PieMan1

RMS Regular
Hi all

Changed a front wheel bearing on a 2.0 DTI vectra , the new wheel bearing has a different style connector for the ABS wire.

Would I be best cutting the two ends and joining the two wires ? as this has given me an abs and TCS light.

Regards.

PieMan1

RMS Regular
OP
PieMan1
@OZRACER I'm actually completely aware that ABS is for anti locking on the brakes.

Still doesn't negate the fact that the two plug connectors are different.

OZRACER

RMS Regular
Drives
Ford
Well you know, yes I'm no mechanic but I would have checked that the connectors were the same. Before I would of carried out the work and then I wouldn't have to ask on a car forum why I got it wrong?

PieMan1

RMS Regular
OP
PieMan1
@OZRACER I would of too mate, good thing is , it's not my car nor my problem, its a mates. so I was only trying to help him. car works fine bar a few lights on the dash. just wanted a simple answer is all.

OZRACER

RMS Regular
Drives
Ford
That's a great attitude, not my car. Jesus wept. I could say more but I'd be banned.
Lol, at the lights on the dash.

PieMan1

RMS Regular
OP
PieMan1
@OZRACER no, go on please say more? attitude-wise you are the one severely lacking. I've only asked a simple question, only requiring a simple answer.

cheers anyway chum :grinning:

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
that escalated quickly ...

ile not jump down your throat @PieMan1 an would suggest if you get a second hand abs sensor that is correct for the hub (wouldn't risk a new one incase it doesn't work) cut wires and do a hard connection,

knowing Vauxhall id say that the wiring to the sensor is probably the same just a different abs sensor,

second thing I have in my mind is find where the sensor splits / unplugs usually before or just through the chassis of the car and see if the multiplug is the same for the correct sensor for the car and just buy a sensor and plug new one in
also shot in the dark but I do know that the 2.0 dti and 2.2 dti have different hubs

Boksic

RMS Regular
Hi all

Changed a front wheel bearing on a 2.0 DTI vectra , the new wheel bearing has a different style connector for the ABS wire.

Would I be best cutting the two ends and joining the two wires ? as this has given me an abs and TCS light.

Regards.

No don't join the two wires.
The car will be looking for a signal from the abs sensor, basically pulsing on/off to record speed of rotation and using it for ABS/traction control etc. If you join the two wires to each other there'll be no signals and it will give an error/warning lights.

You would probably get away with cutting the end off the wires, putting spade connectors on and connecting them onto the new connector on your new bearing. Will more than likely be ok and put lights out on the dash.

If it doesn't, swap the two spade connectors round incase you've mixed them up.

If it still doesn't work then you'll have to just buy the correct one and re do the job.

Note that you'll have to drive about a little for the ABS signal to start functioning and the car to record that all is ok and put out the warning lights.
May also need to be started/stopped a few times.

Good luck 👍

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
No don't join the two wires.
The car will be looking for a signal from the abs sensor, basically pulsing on/off to record speed of rotation and using it for ABS/traction control etc. If you join the two wires to each other there'll be no signals and it will give an error/warning lights.

You would probably get away with cutting the end off the wires, putting spade connectors on and connecting them onto the new connector on your new bearing. Will more than likely be ok and put lights out on the dash.

If it doesn't, swap the two spade connectors round incase you've mixed them up.

If it still doesn't work then you'll have to just buy the correct one and re do the job.

Note that you'll have to drive about a little for the ABS signal to start functioning and the car to record that all is ok and put out the warning lights.
May also need to be started/stopped a few times.

Good luck 👍

I'm pretty sure that's what he was suggesting by saying connect the two wires - i.e. bypass the plugs.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
It's the internet, it's hard to know what anybody means unless they spell it out.. you know what I mean?

Sort of. Mind you 'cutting two ends' was clear enough for me to be honest :joy:

Boksic

RMS Regular
Sort of. Mind you 'cutting two ends' was clear enough for me to be honest :joy:

I read it as joining the two wires like you would with a breakpad wear sensor to make a full circuit and fool it?.. Especially when cutting the two ends off leaves 4 wires and not 2 (2 wires car, 2 wires sensor), but hey ho 👍
He can connect them and try, then switch them if it doesn't work and curse a little 👍

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I read it as joining the two wires like you would with a breakpad wear sensor to make a full circuit and fool it?.. Especially when cutting the two ends off leaves 4 wires and not 2 (2 wires car, 2 wires sensor), but hey ho 👍
He can connect them and try, then switch them if it doesn't work and curse a little 👍

Cutting two ends off will leave two wires, not four. It's a pulse signal along a single cable. The pad wear indicators are a breaker loop.

Not an expert by any stretch tho so I stand to be corrected!

Boksic

RMS Regular
Cutting two ends off will leave two wires, not four. It's a pulse signal along a single cable. The pad wear indicators are a breaker loop.

Not an expert by any stretch tho so I stand to be corrected!
Screenshot_20190916-192347~2.png

In/out, positive negative, whichever.
Seems to be available in either a black or grey connector for Vectra/93/signum.

Although in fairness, he'd only have to cut the car side and put spades on, the sensor side can stay as is.

I'm no expert either, but he asked for advice and I gave some 👍

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
View attachment 250796

In/out, positive negative, whichever.
Seems to be available in either a black or grey connector for Vectra/93/signum.

Although in fairness, he'd only have to cut the car side and put spades on, the sensor side can stay as is.

I'm no expert either, but he asked for advice and I gave some 👍

And if one way doesn't work give it the old switcheroo to the other way round lol

Dandy

RMS Regular
Drives
If it was a Saab 93 bearing you were given cut the connector, and join the wires but the wire colours need swapped, iirc it's a black and white wire, you need to join the black to white and white to black.