Vectra SRi CDTi 150bhp

Jonesy

RMS Regular
Ok, so I know I said I was gonna be sensible and do MOT work to the car first, but this was listed for a tenner less on one eBay shop than virtually all other eBay shops and allegedly on a “limited supply”, needless to say I fell for the marketing ploy (especially after spending 30mins searching against other eBay shops) and bought one.

The car needs a service anyway so I may as well have bought an updated filter whilst I could.
i was offered one new at £8 posted and never took it but still may do

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Well I’ve had a few nerve racking days with the Vectra. Due to having no money I was unable to replace parts I thought the car needed for MOT, one of which was a roll of brake line so that I could replace the drivers rear section.

With that in mind I went for a bodge and got the emery cloth out and rubbed down the pipe all the way from the rear flexi to where it meets another pipe under the drivers footwell. Coated it in zinc primer and a fresh coat of satin black paint. There were a few areas that I couldn’t get cleaned as I’d have liked to, were it clips to the floor.

However I’m either to critical of my car or the MOT man was feeling benevolent as the big girl passed the MOT this morning with only a minor defect noted, drivers side inner driveshaft gaitor is cracked, not split though.

I’m a happy man who’s even more in love with the Vectra!!

Attachments

• AC78A3BC-3CB3-490E-99B4-65FC4CDBBF08.jpeg
    AC78A3BC-3CB3-490E-99B4-65FC4CDBBF08.jpeg
    188.6 KB · Views: 208
  • F1C87FC2-0E4B-45D4-86BA-FFFD609B9BCE.jpeg
    F1C87FC2-0E4B-45D4-86BA-FFFD609B9BCE.jpeg
    118.5 KB · Views: 237

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
My first “modification” to the Vectra today, a little roof mounted sunglasses holder. I’m surprised the SRi’s weren’t specced with this from the factory.

Attachments

• 3F6375FC-329B-49EA-8EB5-5503BEA306C7.jpeg
    3F6375FC-329B-49EA-8EB5-5503BEA306C7.jpeg
    100.3 KB · Views: 180

miniator

RMS Regular
Drives
'72 Mini
My first “modification” to the Vectra today, a little roof mounted sunglasses holder. I’m surprised the SRi’s weren’t specced with this from the factory.

SRI = Stuff Removed Inside, the bog standard sri's really are basic. i mean, no electric rear windows and no Traction Control in a 10 year old car!

Nice addition though, my sunroof button is in that hole so the previous owner has the glasses hold where the grab handle is

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
SRI = Stuff Removed Inside, the bog standard sri's really are basic. i mean, no electric rear windows and no Traction Control in a 10 year old car!

Nice addition though, my sunroof button is in that hole so the previous owner has the glasses hold where the grab handle is
Funny I wondered about the traction control, all my Vectra B SRi’s has traction control so I was baffled when this one didn’t!

miniator

RMS Regular
Drives
'72 Mini
Funny I wondered about the traction control, all my Vectra B SRi’s has traction control so I was baffled when this one didn’t!

indeed, twas an "optional extra" .....talk about cutting costs/corners lol. Unfortunately its not just a case of buying the switch and plugging it in - new pump with tc etc

Autolights and wipers is a fairly straight forward retro fit btw - just got mine all working there recently.
Auto dim rear mirror is easy too

Last edited:

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
I was just looking at an auto-lights switch there on eBay, I presume it needs a sensor?

Jonesy

RMS Regular
Yeah maybe im wrong though. Be nice if it was easy as i would like them as used to other car having them and find myself forgetting to turn lights on

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Today I bought a few wee silly bits for the Vectra. I got a 2nd hand working window regulator for the drivers side, a window switch for the passenger side front door, a battery cover for the eh . . . . battery, a drivers side drive shaft (I was given a minor advisory for a split inner cv boot at MOT), a space saver spare wheel and a drivers side front wing.

I had no intention to get a wing, but the guy spotted the small rust spot on the current wing and said he had one in the same colour, so why not lol.

There’ll be a few updates in the next few days as I do the jobs.

Jonesy

RMS Regular
Today I bought a few wee silly bits for the Vectra. I got a 2nd hand working window regulator for the drivers side, a window switch for the passenger side front door, a battery cover for the eh . . . . battery, a drivers side drive shaft (I was given a minor advisory for a split inner cv boot at MOT), a space saver spare wheel and a drivers side front wing.

I had no intention to get a wing, but the guy spotted the small rust spot on the current wing and said he had one in the same colour, so why not lol.

There’ll be a few updates in the next few days as I do the jobs.
Are the wings the same as a zafira? glued in 2 pieces and need to remove small front window? Did you see i tagged you in my breaking zafira thread, its going to @southsky sunrise for gearbox /clutch flywheel removal then scrap incase you need anything

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Are the wings the same as a zafira? glued in 2 pieces and need to remove small front window? Did you see i tagged you in my breaking zafira thread, its going to @southsky sunrise for gearbox /clutch flywheel removal then scrap incase you need anything

No mate, wings are bolted on and no front window to remove. Drop the bumper and side skirt, pop headlight out and there’s about 6 or 8 bolts the guy told me.

Might get in touch with him about the flywheel, would be good to have a spare just in case!

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
With the impending snow on its way and knowing that my front tyres realistically need changing (legal but barely) and that the Vectra was crap during the last snow fall, I decided to get some new ones fitted.

The window regulator etc . . . will have to wait until the Beast from the East has passed, as I’ve no shed to do the work in and I’m currently battling the cold/man flu.

bmurf

RMS Regular
Drives
200sx
My vectra was dreadful in the snow and I had put brand new tyres on, they were cheap ones though

miniator

RMS Regular
Drives
'72 Mini
I was just looking at an auto-lights switch there on eBay, I presume it needs a sensor?

just seen this post mate.

Yes you need an EX sensor and bracket - to do it right you can change the windscreen but in the mean time i have just glued the bracket to my current screen

then you just need some coding done with Tech2 or Vauxcom - i can help you with that.

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
just seen this post mate.

Yes you need an EX sensor and bracket - to do it right you can change the windscreen but in the mean time i have just glued the bracket to my current screen

then you just need some coding done with Tech2 or Vauxcom - i can help you with that.
Good to know! I’ll start hunting for cheap parts lol

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
I bought a pair of second hand nighteye led h7 bulbs recently that I was advised had missing fitting rings and I foolishly assumed this was something that would be easily obtained, but alas it wasn’t the case.

A brand new set wasn’t that expensive anyway so I ordered some and they arrived yesterday. Had to wait until today to fit them because I didn’t want to get my hair wet yesterday :laughing:

They look pretty cool and I can’t wait until tonight to see the difference they make to the Vectra’s shockingly poor headlights.

Attachments

• F542B294-61BE-4F63-822F-AEBC79220934.jpeg
    F542B294-61BE-4F63-822F-AEBC79220934.jpeg
    153.4 KB · Views: 139
  • D37D9061-1BCA-414B-8390-066DCCED84D5.jpeg
    D37D9061-1BCA-414B-8390-066DCCED84D5.jpeg
    217.7 KB · Views: 130

_Stu_

RMS Regular
And the obligatory night picture:

Are these a big difference at night? I’ve given my B5.5 Passat to my sister to borrow for a while and the headlights are so poor she won’t drive it at night because she lives in the country and it genuinely scares her. If this was a cheap enough upgrade I’d throw a set in it for her.