Often
Just seen it myself , very keenly priced
He's looking a bigger car for the kids

Screenshot_20180124-211022.png

G N K

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Seriously? I wonder what the real reason for getting rid of the Vectra was then? He told me it was because his wife said it was too fast for her and that she wanted a smaller car!

The vectra was too fast Lol (any car actually) what you do is just don't push your right foot that far in.

Vectra looks clean car, definetely more suitably sized for for your needs.

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
Who knows?
The vectra was too fast Lol (any car actually) what you do is just don't push your right foot that far in.

Vectra looks clean car, definetely more suitably sized for for your needs.
It seems to be fairly clean to be honest and your absolutely right it is much more suitable for my needs.

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
Who knows?
How long you keeping it though
Lol!

Well, let’s put it this way, I love the car, it’s been a long time since I’ve loved a car and even then it wasn’t a flashy or expensive one!

It was a 1.8 8v Cavalier hatch in Lagoon Blue Pearlescent that I had owned for around a year and a half. I spent a clean fortune on her! Poly bushed, 2.0 8v SRi 130 engine, Peco exhaust system, GSi interior, Sri skirts and boot spoiler, dropped 40mm on 15” Stealths, Kamei grill, “depo” style headlights, a “custom” front bumper . . .

Attachments

• 984CA393-E9E3-472C-AB87-74781054FF6F.jpeg
    984CA393-E9E3-472C-AB87-74781054FF6F.jpeg
    121.4 KB · Views: 195

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
Who knows?
Thanks, I thought it was nice lol. was yours the wee red Corsa? Yea about ten years ago. I met my wife about this time ten years ago and she convinced me to sell the Cavalier to get a mk3 Golf GTI, worst mistake ever!

I guess I can blame her for my relentless search for a car to fill the same void! Though I wouldn’t say it to her face! :laughing:

CHARLIE11

RMS Regular
Drives
like a nutta
Thanks, I thought it was nice lol. was yours the wee red Corsa? Yea about ten years ago. I met my wife about this time ten years ago and she convinced me to sell the Cavalier to get a mk3 Golf GTI, worst mistake ever!

I guess I can blame her for my relentless search for a car to fill the same void! Though I wouldn’t say it to her face! :laughing:

tell her, u can then come and live in my garage LOFL

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
Who knows?
:joy::joy: It was only a matter of time before you could use that line against me @CHARLIE11 lol!!

So I’ve been out working at her today. Handbrake wasn’t great and at the same time it felt like the brakes were binding.

The pads on the drivers side have worn at a funny angle but the caliper seems grand, sliders and piston moving in and out grand, so I cleaned up the caliper and a set of new pads fitted and that side seems good.

Round to the passenger side that was holding but was also binding, piston is seized, will not go back in at all no matter what type of “persuasion” I’ve tried lol. So a new caliper ordered and will be picked up shortly.

However not all bad news as I’ve had a very quick cursory look and it seems fairly clean in the rear arch area.

Jonesy

RMS Regular
:joy::joy: It was only a matter of time before you could use that line against me @CHARLIE11 lol!!

So I’ve been out working at her today. Handbrake wasn’t great and at the same time it felt like the brakes were binding.

The pads on the drivers side have worn at a funny angle but the caliper seems grand, sliders and piston moving in and out grand, so I cleaned up the caliper and a set of new pads fitted and that side seems good.

Round to the passenger side that was holding but was also binding, piston is seized, will not go back in at all no matter what type of “persuasion” I’ve tried lol. So a new caliper ordered and will be picked up shortly.

However not all bad news as I’ve had a very quick cursory look and it seems fairly clean in the rear arch area.
She due an mot?

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
Who knows?
She due an mot?
Yes mate, I’ve it booked for Valentine’s Day of all days! Lol

I’m trying to do a new thing (for me anyway) which is to take the car and see what it fails on, however brakes is an area I’m a bit fussy on and I as I said I wasn’t happy with them so I’m sorting them out at the very least lol

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
Who knows?
So after a wait for the motor factors to get me a caliper I finally got it fitted and bled with the help of my 11yr old son. Trying to show him a few jobs on cars, explaining to him how certain things work in the hope he’ll have a good understanding and a bit of base knowledge on cars when he’s older.

Attachments

• 99A28B66-1DD9-45C8-A004-A6B0471C0AA8.jpeg
    99A28B66-1DD9-45C8-A004-A6B0471C0AA8.jpeg
    291 KB · Views: 153

miniator

RMS Regular
Drives
'72 Mini
So after a wait for the motor factors to get me a caliper I finally got it fitted and bled with the help of my 11yr old son. Trying to show him a few jobs on cars, explaining to him how certain things work in the hope he’ll have a good understanding and a bit of base knowledge on cars when he’s older.

How are the brake lines looking?

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
Who knows?
How are the brake lines looking?
Well that’s a good news, bad news situation! Lol

Bad news is it looks like the drivers side rear is going to need replaced from the flexi to the connection under the drivers footwell as there are “rust” coloured stains along various parts of it, but that was only at a quick look, the weather kinda hampers my play lol.

Good news is that the fuel tank doesn’t need to come out and that the previous owner must have had the passenger rear done in the recent past so I don’t need to worry about it for a little while anyway.

I haven’t looked at the front yet, main reason being that I knew the rear brakes needed urgent attention so to speak.

I’m doing a forklift course all of next week so it’ll most likely be another week away before I can get another look or any more work done.

I need to get a roll of brake line and some Male fittings, typically I’ve a some copper brake line in the shed but it’s about 6in short of what I need! :sweat:

miniator

RMS Regular
Drives
'72 Mini
Well that’s a good news, bad news situation! Lol

Bad news is it looks like the drivers side rear is going to need replaced from the flexi to the connection under the drivers footwell as there are “rust” coloured stains along various parts of it, but that was only at a quick look, the weather kinda hampers my play lol.

Good news is that the fuel tank doesn’t need to come out and that the previous owner must have had the passenger rear done in the recent past so I don’t need to worry about it for a little while anyway.

I haven’t looked at the front yet, main reason being that I knew the rear brakes needed urgent attention so to speak.

I’m doing a forklift course all of next week so it’ll most likely be another week away before I can get another look or any more work done.

I need to get a roll of brake line and some Male fittings, typically I’ve a some copper brake line in the shed but it’s about 6in short of what I need! :sweat:

not so bad then. my mechanic reports that the fuel tank does indeed stay in, but the rear subframe needs dropped

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
Who knows?
not so bad then. my mechanic reports that the fuel tank does indeed stay in, but the rear subframe needs dropped
For the drivers side as well? Or just the passenger side?

From what I could see on mine I was thinking I should be able to get away without dropping anything for the drivers side?

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
Who knows?
So I wasn’t happy with how the brakes felt and thought I’d re-examine my work.

First was a rookie mistake, I didn’t torque up the banjo bolt on the new caliper, I had simply pulled it as tight as a wee 13mm spanner would allow. That said I did fall short of the recommended torque figure in the Haynes manual which was 40nm! I went as far as 15nm and even at that I was worried about the bolt snapping.

Then I pretty much flushed out the brake fluid to both rear calipers with new fluid and now I have a much better pedal!

bmurf

RMS Regular
Drives
200sx
So I wasn’t happy with how the brakes felt and thought I’d re-examine my work.

First was a rookie mistake, I didn’t torque up the banjo bolt on the new caliper, I had simply pulled it as tight as a wee 13mm spanner would allow. That said I did fall short of the recommended torque figure in the Haynes manual which was 40nm! I went as far as 15nm and even at that I was worried about the bolt snapping.

Then I pretty much flushed out the brake fluid to both rear calipers with new fluid and now I have a much better pedal!

Is it an awkward job to replace calipers on the vectra. My drivers front is starting to stick quite badly now, I've got limited time in the mornings so was just gonna attempt it if it wasn't an awkward job to do

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
Who knows?
Is it an awkward job to replace calipers on the vectra. My drivers front is starting to stick quite badly now, I've got limited time in the mornings so was just gonna attempt it if it wasn't an awkward job to do
Can’t answer that honestly as it was the rear caliper I was replacing, however I would imagine it’s not that awkward as there will be no handbrake cable to remove from the caliper.

The hardest part of replacing the caliper will be the bleeding of the brakes afterwards. At first I used my 10yr old son as the willing apprentice to pump the pedal but in retrospect I’m wasn’t the greatest idea as he hadn’t really the strength in his wee legs to keep pumping lol

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
Who knows?
Dunno bud, i got all mine done at the same time!
That was probably a sensible idea! I can certainly see how having the subframe removed would make it easier for doing both sides together but not necessary for the drivers side alone if you get me?

It just means I can’t pre-shape the pipe before I fit it.
But that’s the joys of being a tight-ass who can do most of his own work lol.

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
Who knows?
Ok, so I know I said I was gonna be sensible and do MOT work to the car first, but this was listed for a tenner less on one eBay shop than virtually all other eBay shops and allegedly on a “limited supply”, needless to say I fell for the marketing ploy (especially after spending 30mins searching against other eBay shops) and bought one.

The car needs a service anyway so I may as well have bought an updated filter whilst I could.

Attachments

• D60020BA-CEC9-4700-A464-02B403938F16.jpeg
    D60020BA-CEC9-4700-A464-02B403938F16.jpeg
    142.5 KB · Views: 121