VF750FD Throttle cable issue

David19

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk7. 5 GTIPP
Have a vf750fd that I'm trying to put back on the road again after it having been of the road for a number of years.
Managed to get it started but I'm unable to rev it as the throttle is stuck.
Any one have a similar problem?
Being a V4 it's not easy to get at the carburettor throttle pulleys and really don't want to be removing carbs unless necessary.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
I think this model has cable to first carb (front right?), then rod link to front left, then rod link to rear right and then another rod link to rear left.
Check what you can see if the cable is ok, then after that, One of the wee rods might have got tangled up or bent and it binds up the complete system. All I can suggest is that you will have to lift the tank off and then it should become clear when looking straight down from above and work through logically from cable and see where it's jammed.

David19

RMS Regular
OP
David19
Drives
Mk7. 5 GTIPP
Thanks for the reply and yes your right about how they operate from what I can see with having the tank off. I def don't think its a problem with any of the rods as nothing ever been distributed there.
I'm thinking either the lingage rods have just sized up or could it be the carb slides with it having been sitting?
Fuel is draining OK from the bowls and cable connection at the carburettor end haa never been disturbed.

David19

RMS Regular
OP
David19
Drives
Mk7. 5 GTIPP
No not moving at all, was able to get some WD40 in at the hande bar end but made no difference. Really arkward to get at the carburettor end of it cable or connection rods.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
I’d try and disconnect the cable from the carb end to eliminate the cables being stuck. See if the arms on the carbs work with no cable attached.

David19

RMS Regular
OP
David19
Drives
Mk7. 5 GTIPP
Yes I'm thinking that myself, it's just looking really arkward to even get at the cables connection down at the carbs.
Will have another poke around.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
I stripped my cbr and even though it was an inline 4 it was still a nightmare working round the carbs hooking up throttle cable etc.

David19

RMS Regular
OP
David19
Drives
Mk7. 5 GTIPP
It looks an even bigger nightmare on a V4 lol I'm wondering how they even managed at the factory.
I'm thinking connected up at the carburettor before engine put in frame and then cables connected up at the handel bars.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
I looked at a mates vfr400 years ago had a poke about the carbs and went nope not touching it lol. Try looking for owners forums there may be some secret trick to do it.

David19

RMS Regular
OP
David19
Drives
Mk7. 5 GTIPP
Managed to get a bit further.
Removed the air filter housing and that let me get to the carburettor intake manifold which I removed and that's given me much better access to the carb mechanism. Hopefully can get things moving better.
Thanks for all the replies.