VFR1200?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
These are grabbing my attention because they seem cheap secondhand; early ones down into 5 to 6k region. I've read that they are bit of a drinker and maybe lack some character but anything else?
Anybody had one for a while and like/hate?

I'm coming from a ST1300 Pan Euro, although I haven't sold it yet. Just fancy a change really as I don't need a full-on tourer.

genman

G
Very capable bike but doew indeed seem thirsty like most v4s....well kitted out and comfy....no real idea why they are so cheap vs equal age spec rivals.
Just didn't seem to take and touring accessories didn't flow either at the time
Had a short run on a demo bike when they came out...enjoyed it but was a bit too bulky for me so stuck to the hayabusa.

nobby

RMS Regular
Drives
Jap stuff
i own the Crosstourer and the v4 1200 is an absolute peach of an engine
i personally believe the vfr is a great package ... i went for the XT purely on the basis of me coming from a tiger and they suit my size more albeit a vfr would be ok. its definitely on my radar if/when i decide to change the XT.

plus its a Honda!!!

:grinning:

Apis

RMS Regular
OP
Apis
Drives
various
i own the Crosstourer and the v4 1200 is an absolute peach of an engine
i personally believe the vfr is a great package ... i went for the XT purely on the basis of me coming from a tiger and they suit my size more albeit a vfr would be ok. its definitely on my radar if/when i decide to change the XT.

plus its a Honda!!!

:grinning:
Yes I like the look of the XT but a bit too spendy for me at the minute. Good to hear your comments, thanks

NotKG

Banned
a mate had the vfr 1200 and it got knocked over, fairing is one piece and a fortune, sat so long waiting on parts he settled with insurance and dealer and a few months of toing and froing. to get another bike on the road. then took the xt, gutless compared to the vfr but more than capable. looking to change soon again i hear.

nobby

RMS Regular
Drives
Jap stuff
@kenG ... you saying the XT is gutless?
bloody hell the thing just pulls ... its got loads of runt low and mid range ... 1st time i heard this report!
happy for you to try mine any time!"

NotKG

Banned
depends what your used to riding before i suppose.
another friend of his i'd been out with a few times,{ one of the ones you know to see a few times but only remember their bike over their name} , (dementia with me) had the vfr1200 maybe a year before him, and he got a 1200crosstourer, i remember him even saying the crosstourer was a let down in power. but found it a better for long trips and mile munching in comfort and fully loaded.
both these boys were headers just a few years previous, and considered themselves lucky to be still about by the way they rode. guess you have to calm down just a wee but when you hit 60. AGE/MPH lol

nobby

RMS Regular
Drives
Jap stuff
thats interesting for sure ... my previous tourer was a 1050 tiger and i had a run on the explorer as well but the XT was a lot better in power
It's a great bike for mile munching etc ... its effortless based on the grunt it has IMHO
interesting to hear other opinions ... certainly not something i would have thought though

Apis

RMS Regular
OP
Apis
Drives
various
Can I just check @nobby ....when you say "XT" I was thinking you meant a Honda 1200 Crosstourer? Like you're not talking about a Yamaha by any chance?
I'm asking because I keep seeing the Crosstourer labelled as VFR1200X (with no T).

NotKG

Banned
next step has to be a MT10,, like stick a pic up of a xt superT and a mT10 side by side, there's a little racist inbreeding going on there with a big power bump in it.
when they're a lot cheaper i do want one. ugly or not. it just needs a wall-E screen on it a bit over those ugly headlights.

nobby

RMS Regular
Drives
Jap stuff
Can I just check @nobby ....when you say "XT" I was thinking you meant a Honda 1200 Crosstourer? Like you're not talking about a Yamaha by any chance?
I'm asking because I keep seeing the Crosstourer labelled as VFR1200X (with no T).

Yes the crosstourer as we were discussing its sibling. Easier to say xt than official model name

nobby

RMS Regular
Drives
Jap stuff
LOL I was talking about the Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X or XT for those that own one refer to them as!
The Crosstourer has same engine as the vfr but fettled with for low and mid range grunt etc not the high end reving of its sister!
This thread was about the VFR1200 ... why would i bring in something about Yamaha?

im getting confused now ffs!

this beasty but this is the pussy variant with the DCT tranny ... buy a real man's bike with a manual shift :grinning:

TBH the DCT is a great system btw

2015-VFR1200X-Crosstourer1.jpg

NotKG

Banned
don't knock the DCT, wheelies off the line and can change gear without dropping the wheel.
rode a few, i wonder now if they done the dct in a st1300 like mine ? that would be sooooo good

dross432

RMS Regular
Drives
subaru wrx sti,
Vfr1200x is my favourite bike in hondas range followed by the africa twin and blade. If you want to be lazy and enjoy the cruising dct is a good way to go. But if your out for a scratching session manuel is hard to beat. The newer vfr1200x will be coming out with gen 3 dct which is already on the africa twin. Which should be very good. I just feel the africa doesnt have the grunt for dct when your riding abit harder. All in all if its a honda there should be nothing to complain about really.

nobby

RMS Regular
Drives
Jap stuff
Dct is a great product but I just prefer a manual gb as well.
As you say when you fancy a gunning session it's hard not to beat a manual albeit the dct will do the changes far faster

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.