Vibration / Shudder under acceleration

Shannonsir

RMS Regular
Drives
Camaro SS
Folks,

The wife has a 2012 CR-V 2.2 i-dtec which has developed a shudder / vibration, only under moderate / heavy acceleration. On very light acceleration there is nothing from it until under heavier throttle. It coasts absolutely perfectly at all normal speeds in gear and out of gear. No bent shafts identified or anything else untoward. Does anyone have any knowledge of these or where else I might look? Don't want to be throwing fortunes at it, as it's not worth much but it's driving me mad. She hasn't hit anything or bent anything in that respect. The fact it's only there under load is the confusing aspect of it all, but it is felt throughout the entire car when it comes into it.

Cheers.

Shannonsir

RMS Regular
OP
Shannonsir
Drives
Camaro SS
Was also one of my initial thoughts but it's so quiet upfront. I always assumed a flywheel failing / failed would rattle its brains out? There's forums suggesting transmission fluid changes have helped them with similar, but surely not? Could it be the gearbox or diff under load?

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
Auto or manual? U get torque converter shudder but that is usually under light acceleration, up slight gradients stuff like that rather than decent acceleration. If it was that you get additives to stick in with new gearbox oil that can get good results.

Shannonsir

RMS Regular
OP
Shannonsir
Drives
Camaro SS
Auto or manual? U get torque converter shudder but that is usually under light acceleration, up slight gradients stuff like that rather than decent acceleration. If it was that you get additives to stick in with new gearbox oil that can get good results.
Its manual. I'll change the gearbox and diff oil anyway and see where there takes me. Might even do the old swapping wheels about and getting a balance and alignment done and go from there. Doubt I'll be that lucky!.

Gavlar

RMS Regular
Sounds silly but check the wheel nuts. My merc did this after a tech was working at it, one of the wheels the nuts weren't properly tightened, when I pulled over one of the rear wheels only had one loose nut left on it

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
Its manual. I'll change the gearbox and diff oil anyway and see where there takes me. Might even do the old swapping wheels about and getting a balance and alignment done and go from there. Doubt I'll be that lucky!.
Have never heard of anything like that being manual gearbox oil but far from an meckanic, is it 4wd? Done prop shaft uj, transfer case etc maybe

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
Check also engine mounts.
I had a nut on an engine mount loosen and would shake under acceleration.

However I would also put money on clutch/ flywheel tbh

brendy7

RMS Regular
Had this on my sister's CRV front shafts inner joints can cause this I wasn't able to see anything wrong with them but after checking everything else and doing abit of research it seemed to be a common enough problem ended up putting both shafts in it and sorted it out alrite

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
I had this on a Golf, light acceleration it was fine, anything more and there was a lot of vibration. Swapped both inner and outer cv joints from one driveshaft to the other. Wear in the joints is in forward direction so swapping them round can do the trick. Wouldn't work with a completely failed joint of course.

Come to think of it I pulled that engine and gearbox, shafts etc and they're in my son's car now still going the best.

Last edited:

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Already said but inner cv joints give that issue and it doesn't take very much play in them to cause it. Had a C30T5 doing it and you could barely feel the play in it.

Shannonsir

RMS Regular
OP
Shannonsir
Drives
Camaro SS
Brilliant gents thanks very much for all the input. Hopefully something as simple as 2 new shafts / joints all being well!.

Duke

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf Gt
Brilliant gents thanks very much for all the input. Hopefully something as simple as 2 new shafts / joints all being well!.
I had a 2009 CRV and put 2 driveshaft’s in it, Colin Adams on Beersbridge road belfast was where I got them the last time as my local motor factors couldn’t get them. I think there was £20 surcharge roughly with the old shaft