Viewing a motorbike that's been sitting for 2 years.

cupraricky

RMS Regular
Heading with a friend on Fri night to view a bike that's been sitting for around 2 years. I know the history as its owned by a friend of mine. Before lying up it had full service and a new back tyre, its been under cover for the two years, on a stand.
Im bringing a power pack to make sure the electrics all work as the battery is toast. If he decides to go ahead and buy the bike, obviously it'll need a new battery. I was also saying an oil change, coolant drain and refill, fuel drain and refill, plug change would probably need done before riding.

Do you think thats all necessary or is there anything i have missed that need be considered?

Thanks

Lee

RMS Regular
Can bikes take the same powerpack you'd use on a car/bigger vehicle? Genuinely don't know, just thought I'd read something before.

Dave..

RMS Regular
Heading with a friend on Fri night to view a bike that's been sitting for around 2 years. I know the history as its owned by a friend of mine. Before lying up it had full service and a new back tyre, its been under cover for the two years, on a stand.
Im bringing a power pack to make sure the electrics all work as the battery is toast. If he decides to go ahead and buy the bike, obviously it'll need a new battery. I was also saying an oil change, coolant drain and refill, fuel drain and refill, plug change would probably need done before riding.

Do you think thats all necessary or is there anything i have missed that need be considered?

Thanks
I always bring an edescope and check the bores better safe than sorry.
My `gut` is always the decider if it doesn`t feel right I walk away.
Good luck.

Dave..

RMS Regular
Can bikes take the same powerpack you'd use on a car/bigger vehicle? Genuinely don't know, just thought I'd read something before.
I start most of them from jump cables from a car battery, no problems yet.

Reactions: Lee

cupraricky

RMS Regular
OP
cupraricky
Good luck.

Guts good on this one, as i say i know the owner and its well cared for its just been unused for a couple of years.

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
If its been kept in a warm and dry garage I would say you'll have no issues, if its been kept in a cold wet shed you may remove the cover to find a pile of rust.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Good luck.
!! That can't be too handy on a lot of modern bikes?

Dusty

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda CR-V
Should be fine, will probably want all fluids changing and check the calipers as mentioned above. I'd also check the tyres anyway or flat spots or for any cracking if it hasn't been moved at all. As long as the price reflects any sort of work which needs done, go for it if it seems ok.

Good luck.