Vinyl wrapping vs dipping

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Ceebl

RMS Regular
Drives
330d/C2 Loeb
Is there a difference in the durability of finish between wrapping and dipping? (Obviously i know a wrap will be one piece of material where the dip is kind of a coating. Don't want it peeling off after a wash with the powerhose like the last grille i painted lol...

Is there much of a cost difference in it either?
Reason I am considering getting the parts dipped is one of them is a front grille which I imagine is a pain to wrap lol.

What sort of money is there in dipping or wrapping a grille and a couple of wing mirror covers etc and who would you's recommend?

Cheers for the advice,

Chris.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
I wrapped my engine cover in my S3 and it was shiit, didnt last probably due to the shape of the cover and heat so I then opted for the dipping which was far superior

S3.3.jpg

Picture_173.jpg

Ceebl

RMS Regular
OP
Ceebl
Drives
330d/C2 Loeb
I know you can get a better finish on a dip but for an exterior part which will be subject to the elements and snow foam and a pressure washer I wonder how the dip fairs in comparison to a single piece of vinyl! For finish I know the dip will look superior. @Boydie wasn't it Carbonworx or something you called the crowd that dipped yours?

Mark315

RMS Regular
Drives
R
I had the lower part of my front bumper wrapped on the last car (professionally done) and tbh I wouldn't rate it, looked a mess after a few weeks from small stone chips etc. Probably didn't help it was white underneath so it made it look 10 times worse.

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
It really depends what you're looking for. If it's carbon look, then a dip will never look as good as the modern 4d wraps, however, wrapping a grill is basically a none starter, but for flattish surfaces, wrap wins every time.

Ceebl

RMS Regular
OP
Ceebl
Drives
330d/C2 Loeb
It really depends what you're looking for. If it's carbon look, then a dip will never look as good as the modern 4d wraps, however, wrapping a grill is basically a none starter, but for flattish surfaces, wrap wins every time.
Its a matt/satin black finish just to delete the chrome bits round it. I had it sprayed but its all flaking badly after a few washes. Don't need to worry about faking the carbon look!
Although I was contemplating doing the mirror covers on the golf but I am just going to respray them to tidy them up.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Is dipping only carbon effect, or can it be plain (i.e. Gloss black) too? Or are you safer just painting?!

Ceebl

RMS Regular
OP
Ceebl
Drives
330d/C2 Loeb
Dipping or water transfer and be anything afaik. Is that for your splitter?
No, if you're referring to the big JDM nismo style splitter that was on the 350z its off it and the car is for sale lol (Buy it Rob, you know you want to!!)
She has a wee ibiza now she's doing more miles and its the front grille has chrome effect round it and we want it all black lol... Probably gonna have a better go at painting it again just to be honest!

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
No, if you're referring to the big JDM nismo style splitter that was on the 350z its off it and the car is for sale lol (Buy it Rob, you know you want to!!)
She has a wee ibiza now she's doing more miles and its the front grille has chrome effect round it and we want it all black lol... Probably gonna have a better go at painting it again just to be honest!
Nah it's missing 2 cyclinders :p I meant @Lyons splitter.

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
Is dipping only carbon effect, or can it be plain (i.e. Gloss black) too? Or are you safer just painting?!

Dipping just adds the details, so for carbon effect, they'll paint it black, then dip it to add the carbon look, followed by lacquer. If you want plain, then they would literally just paint and lacquer it. There are hundreds of different designs, though, not just carbon.

Funguy_01007

Drives
AcuraZine TL/TLX
Is there a difference in the durability of finish between wrapping and dipping? (Obviously i know a wrap will be one piece of material where the dip is kind of a coating. Don't want it peeling off after a wash with the powerhose like the last grille i painted lol...

Is there much of a cost difference in it either?
Reason I am considering getting the parts dipped is one of them is a front grille which I imagine is a pain to wrap lol.

What sort of money is there in dipping or wrapping a grille and a couple of wing mirror covers etc and who would you's recommend?

Cheers for the advice,

Chris.

Ask help from the veteran installers, why not visit Gatorwraps and request for a quote. I believe they have installers for a vinyl wrap in all major cities.

euge07

RMS Regular
Drives
c220 cdi sport
dipping for sure, had a spoiler wrapped and hated it, had to sell it and buy a new one which came dipped and you just cant compare

night & day difference!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.