Volkswagen ID.3

davyk31

RMS Regular
Quite liking the look of these although haven’t seen one in the flesh yet.

Mark Irwin

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Golf
Was thinking of that for my next EV, either that or an I Pace or a Model 3 Tesla would be nice.

davyk31

RMS Regular
iPace or Model 3 would be a step up from the ID3 I would say. Something I was watching last night gave a lease price for a similar priced Model 3 as twice that of the ID3.

Mark Irwin

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Golf
Yeah, saw a used test where an I Pace lost £21K in first year and Model 3 £7K so thinking of something about 3 years old for these models.

davyk31

RMS Regular
Based on some very quick maths with not too much man maths applied I reckon I could have a brand new ID3 First Edition for about £100 to £120 a month more than my current daily 2012 Mini Countryman SD is costing me. That could be tempting as that’s a new car with 3 year warranty and first two services included in the pictures price so other than charging costs there isn’t a lot more.

Would I be right in thinking about £8 to charge each time if done at home with a wall box installed?

Mark Irwin

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Golf
Based on some very quick maths with not too much man maths applied I reckon I could have a brand new ID3 First Edition for about £100 to £120 a month more than my current daily 2012 Mini Countryman SD is costing me. That could be tempting as that’s a new car with 3 year warranty and first two services included in the pictures price so other than charging costs there isn’t a lot more.

Would I be right in thinking about £8 to charge each time if done at home with a wall box installed?
Yes, that would be about right assuming that the battery was almost exhausted (which is rare) and you are on a standard electricity tariff. However, if you were to go for Economy 7 you could charge a completely depleted battery for £4.50 which should take you about 200 miles in normal driving (could be higher or lower depending on driving style and ambient temperature). I can charge my E Golf overnight fully for about £2.70 which will take me an average of 130 miles so much cheaper than equivalent petrol and diesel cars I have had. If you charge at public charge points including rapid chargers it will not cost anything.

davyk31

RMS Regular
Thanks for that. Are there any downsides to swapping to Economy 7 or any hassle? I have been meaning to look into my car Electric supplier as I’m just on a standard Power Ni tariff.

I reckon a charge a week would cover a fair bit of my driving which is it’s 200 mile range that would be over 10k per year. The same 10k miles at 40mpg would cost £26 against maybe £8 or £4.50 a charge.

Mark Irwin

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Golf
Thanks for that. Are there any downsides to swapping to Economy 7 or any hassle? I have been meaning to look into my car Electric supplier as I’m just on a standard Power Ni tariff.

I reckon a charge a week would cover a fair bit of my driving which is it’s 200 mile range that would be over 10k per year. The same 10k miles at 40mpg would cost £26 against maybe £8 or £4.50 a charge.
Changing to E7 was easy, NIE have to swap out the meters regardless of your supplier and there was a bit of a shortage a while ago so they were using pre-used ones! It all happened fairly quickly and you can get some good day-time tariffs on E7 now. I change every year and have been with most suppliers apart from Electric Ireland; with SSE now and daytime rate is 15.46 ppkw and night time rate is 8.48 pence with a standing charge of 8.22 pence.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Soon as they are more affordable and even more reliable I’m going electric. Like the ID.3 but can’t help think that the Mk2 version will be so much better.

The new ID.4 will be a massive seller for VW.

RallyCiaran

RMS Regular
Drives
Nova 1600 8v
I'd have an ID.3 ordered if I didn't need a boot big enough to carry a buggy, and enough rear legroom so they cant kick the back of my chair.

davyk31

RMS Regular
Sounds like the ID.4 will be the car for you as it’s more aimed at a family. I have 2 teenage kids and a dog but never much in the boot other than the dog so I’m hoping an ID.3 would be big enough but need to see one when the showrooms open again.

Mark Irwin

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Golf
I'd have an ID.3 ordered if I didn't need a boot big enough to carry a buggy, and enough rear legroom so they cant kick the back of my chair.
I understand that one! That was why I bought a Vauxhall Signum when the kids were young; great rear leg room.