Volkswagen ID.4

davyk31

RMS Regular
Have an ID.4 out for a weekend test drive. Collected this morning and covered about 80 miles so far. Impressive machine and pretty huge inside.
C5046140-8071-4ED2-BAB6-010121BC10EE.jpeg

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
Whats the interior space and boot like?

davyk31

RMS Regular
OP
D
@NickR85 It is pretty huge inside and a very big boot. I would say interior wise it’s not far off X5 size. I am 6’ and I sat in the back seat to see what it’s like and I had loads of leg room, my knees were a good few inches from the front seat.
As regards boot we have a dog carrier for our Cockapoo that fills the depth of the boot in my M135i and Countryman where you can maybe get one shopping bag beside the box, in the ID.4 you could easily get 2 dog boxes plus some shopping

I had an ID.3 out before Christmas which was also a very roomy car. As regards rear seat the ID.4 would be a bit bigger but it’s boot would be a good bit bigger. My teenage kids were very impressed with the rear seats on both cars, they were a lot less impressed with the rear seats in the I3S!

davyk31

RMS Regular
OP
D
Another 70 or 80 miles today so far and still very impressed. Topped up the charge on a freebie point which although on for about 90 mins only added about 35 or 40 miles but plenty to keep me going.
Need to find a cheap lease deal to make it all workable lol.

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
Sat in one of these today, I was pleasantly surprised but the mrs took a strong notion against the two tone brown interior. The biggest issue is that any other spec than the absolute poverty spec steel wheel city spec becomes perilously close in price to a Tesla Model 3, which feels like a car made in a later decade...

davyk31

RMS Regular
OP
D
In the ID.4 the First Edition is the “bargain” of the range as it has decent equipment including 20” wheels and is the cheapest model. It was a limited edition and now the regular models have come out they are a lot dearer with much worse equipment.

I had a back to back test drive this morning with 20 mins in an ID.4 then the same route in an ID.3. Very different vehicles to be honest and depends I guess what someone wants which suits. I don’t know what I want lol.

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
First edition still available on the web at near 38k...when you can get a model 3 for 40k I just don't know if that adds up. It's that 35k cliff edge for the government 2.5k grand that does the 1st edition in as the city creeps under it to get down to 32.5k.
The id3 seems like a smaller more budget option city car kind of thing to me.

davyk31

RMS Regular
OP
D
ID.3 really isn’t small at all. Virtually as much interior space as the ID.4 just with a smaller boot.

Not sure I would be comparing an ID.4 with a Model 3 either. They are very different vehicles in size and style not to mention build quality. Model 3 looses out on practically by not being a normal hatchback which is a no go for me.

davyk31

RMS Regular
OP
D
City is also Only a 52Kwh battery which isn’t great for something that big. The First has 77kwh and also the higher powered motor at 204ps. It’s reasonable quick but not EV rapid so imagine the City could feel a bit slow and heavy.

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
I have no dog in this fight but have you sat in a model 3? To me it felt much more special than the id4 with pano sunroof and huge screen. Other than the very few switches they actually have on the wheel and stalks which were a bit cheap. Boot looked a bit taller in the vw but not a lot in it width or depth wise. Bit more headroom in the back of the id4 and maybe a little more width but not night and day to me sitting in both back to back.

davyk31

RMS Regular
OP
D
Have tried a Model 3 yep but not driven. Pretty well documented on the internet for inconsistent panel gaps, trim falling off and endless rattles. A friend has an M3P and would agree with all that.

VW have decent build quality but software glitches seems their bug bear for now however this does seem to be improving.

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
To each their own. I'd live with the odd rattle for the pace, range, charging network and interior of the model 3. I suspect they'll have better residuals too. I'm sure either would make a fantastic family car though and if you can get one through a ltd company to save the corporation tax and v minimal BIK tax then they are likely to be the cheapest new car you'll ever own.

Mark Irwin

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Golf
Thinking of taking an ID4 out for a 24 hour test drive; had the ID3 out before Christmas for the weekend and it was impressive but as has already been said is getting close to Model 3 money.

davyk31

RMS Regular
OP
D
Big price reductions on the ID.3 coming out tomorrow to bring more models to the grant cut off so they now qualify. The more expensive cars that don’t meet the grant are being reduced by 2 or 3k so basically back to where they were before the grant changed.

Not sure if ID.4 prices are changing but there have been quite a few other models in the range now released.

Having driven both models a couple of times including a back to back with ID.4 then ID.3 I reckon my choice is a high spec ID.3

davyk31

RMS Regular
OP
D
They are similar but also drive quite different. I felt the ID.4 was nearly a bit too large whereas the ID.3 is nearly as roomy but overall a bit more compact. The ID.4 is a very comfortable big cruiser, the ID.3 is more nimble and car like in how it drives. The ID.3 is a bit quicker being smaller and lighter as the battery is smaller.

If you go for a higher range ID.3 you get a good few more toys than on the ID.4 First Edition which is nice but not crucial. List prices aren’t that different but deals are better on the ID.3 so all that kinda clinched it for me.

Hopefully placing an order this week for cars at the docks so shouldn’t be too long until I get one then I can give a fuller report.

And why not Tesla? Reports of poor build quality worry me as I’m a bit OCD about finish and rattles. But mostly as I need a hatchback for dogs and family stuff so no Tesla ticks that box yet.

Mark Irwin

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Golf
Thanks, for the next one I have been debating between a second hand IPace, ID3 or Model 3 so interesting to hear your views.

davyk31

RMS Regular
OP
D
Depends a bit on budget I guess. Used iPace are still about £40k, a new Model 3 and if you go Long Range to get a decent range is upper £40s.
With the price reductions the ID.3 Family version which has all you need except alloys lists at £35k less the grant so it’s £32.5 and discounts can take another couple of thousand off that. There are cheaper models as well so starting at upper £20k upwards depending on what spec you want. The higher models are £40k plus but price reductions and discounts are bringing those down a good bit

So for me I reckon the price point of the ID.3 is more than enough and it gives a fairly swift decent quality well specced family car. Not the most exciting car but brings all the benefits of EV ownership.

davyk31

RMS Regular
OP
D
Yes the Enyak was on my radar but not in showrooms just yet and then likely a factory order after that. They will be a great car although a bit bigger than the ID.4 which puts me off. Won’t be the quickest either but plenty for a family car.
They will no doubt be a big success and pricing is good

Another great option and great value now prices have been reduced to get the grant is the Kona Electric. A bit tight in the back seats was my issue but at a genuine near enough 300 mile range for the Premium at £32.5k they are a good choice.

steeldevil

RMS Regular
Drives
Lexus IS300h
Big price reductions on the ID.3 coming out tomorrow to bring more models to the grant cut off so they now qualify. The more expensive cars that don’t meet the grant are being reduced by 2 or 3k so basically back to where they were before the grant changed.

Not sure if ID.4 prices are changing but there have been quite a few other models in the range now released.

Having driven both models a couple of times including a back to back with ID.4 then ID.3 I reckon my choice is a high spec ID.3

I'm still trying to get a test drive organised, even just a normal one rather than an extended drive. There's either none available or the dealers are driving themselves and unwilling to give them out. Strange attitude!

J-VW

RMS Regular
Just returned an Id3 yesterday after having it out on a 24 hour test drive. Very impressive bit of kit, I think I'm sold on one tbh and I believe base spec models are coming in at around 26k with all available discounts currently.

IMG_20210518_144203.jpg

IMG_20210518_161733.jpg

davyk31

RMS Regular
OP
D
Those pictures are helping me decide on colour! Really like the white in them especially once the 19” alloys are added.