Volvo S60 D5 (back on the road again)

_Stu_

RMS Regular
Last year I got rid of my B5.5 Passat and got a Mk7 Golf GTD to replace it. I wasn’t doing as many miles and it was lovely getting in to something fresh and new. Life however has taken another turn and my mileage is about to jump drastically due to a new job which means me being on the road full time. I didn’t want to put my GTD through the abuse of the job so did a deal on this today. I will be keeping the GTD and using the Volvo for work and general beating about in.

2005 S60 D5 SE
128k with full history
Timing belt kit 9k miles ago
Electric everything
Heated leather
Really tidy bodywork
Completely original, even still has the SMW plates and sticker still on it

I took it a test drive and was impressed at how much torque the 5 cylinder engine has. It is averaging 47mpg which surprised me for such a big engine. Also the seats are the comfiest that I’ve sat in. A deal was done and the dealer threw it through MOT tonight so I will collect it this week.

No plans for it, maybe do a DIY wheel refurb and the fabric is peeling off the A pillar so might have a go at repairing that. Headlights could do with a wet sand but other than that it is near enough perfect.

Only pics I have are from the advert. I will get more when I pick it up.

76E15D4E-F50D-46F8-85CC-F9F07A15F1BF.jpeg

DF2D72C0-2C15-4C1E-B7D6-D0DA27DD4EE4.jpeg

6E6B9B0A-6789-4D92-8168-40DC58753D13.jpeg

D1A56F84-6ED4-474D-BB6C-02DEEE17A49A.jpeg

Cheers

Alan_B

RMS Regular
Drives
Whatever
Brilliant. Identical to mine before it was totalled. Also known as the 'Holy Grail' of s60s - facefilt body and prefacelift engine.

Makes me seriously regret not buying another!

_Stu_

RMS Regular
OP
_Stu_
Brilliant. Identical to mine before it was totalled. Also known as the 'Holy Grail' of s60s - facefilt body and prefacelift engine.

Makes me seriously regret not buying another!

Been doing a bit more reading up on these and didn’t even know this was the ‘holy grail’ one. Hopefully I’ve stumbled on to a winner.

Picking it up tonight all being well. Need to go to castlewellan so it will be a decent first drive for it.

gizmo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Vrs Octavia
Was behind one of these on Sunday and thought they were a great looking big motor

_Stu_

RMS Regular
OP
_Stu_
Picked her up this evening and first thing I did was tanked her with £85 of diesel. First trip in her was down to see @markmeus and on a 100 mile trip it has averaged 58mpg. Every gadget works and it’s driving really well. It’s pretty cramped inside compared to the B5.5 Passat but 99% of the time it’s only me in the car so not an issue. Only other complaint is the turning circle or there lack of. If my neighbour across the street is parked on the road I have to do a 3 point turn to get out. I can live with this though.

701F2B55-DE77-427A-901F-EC6389DF3132.jpeg

DriftnSlide

Banned
Drives
S60 D5 SE
They're great, no swirl flaps, no DPF to worry about, they take a map really well.
I went straight out and bought another after the last got written off. HTD
Good stereo aswell.

_Stu_

RMS Regular
OP
_Stu_
Been wafting about in this for a few days now and clocked up a few hundred miles of mixed driving. It’s a lovely place to be and more than enough power for what I need. I’ve had it mainly on longer journeys and the only fault I can find is the steering is a bit notchy when cold but behaves fine after it’s been running for 5 minutes.

I’ve ordered a new passenger mirror glass as mine has gone cloudy and also have a headlight restoration kit on the way for it. Can’t get over how great value for money these big tanks are.

BA71D71D-E6D0-4291-AD34-5A2BF43A407D.jpeg

8EF34946-2DF4-4324-BA50-763B5EF30F59.jpeg
06554FE1-7901-455F-ACD2-454C9E6679D4.jpeg
39A2B5D7-5026-4FE0-B167-80039594F4A8.jpeg
283D34BE-9AE3-49A5-8314-57A89CB38E89.jpeg

Mark_C

RMS Regular
Been waxing lyrical about these for years as daily drivers. Do huge mileage, you don't see them with rusty bodies like most German cars of the same age and they have excellent seats, but most importantly for a daily the fuel economy belies the size and weight.

Mark Irwin

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Golf
Love Volvo's, really comfortable cars with a kick ass sound system. Still have a v50 after 7 years in the family.

DMCG

RMS Regular
Drives
Ford Sierra
Brilliant Cars and hard to beat the grunt of the 5 cylinder .. Family member went from a E60 530D to one of these and although it doesn't have the gadgets the E60 has it has never let him down which was his reason for changing , love the sound of these when they come on boost .. best sounding diesel imo..

Gambit

RMS Regular
fell in my work drove one for about 5yrs solid back in forth from Downpatrick to Belfast. he sold it with 275k mile on it, never let him down bar an injector problem once

_Stu_

RMS Regular
OP
_Stu_
Been using the Volvo for everything the last few days and it’s going great so far. The D5 engine is silky smooth but would be nicer if you could hear it a bit more inside the car.

I replaced the fuel flap hinge last night so it now springs open and shut instead of just flapping around, also fixed the solenoid that locks it when the car is locked. Might replace the passenger side mirror as it doesn’t heat, the glass has gone very cloudy and the motor has a mind of its own but a replacement power fold mirror with puddle light isn’t cheap.

Headlamp restoration kit arrived today and as soon as it’s a bit warmer and I get some more daylight I’ll give those a go.

Reactions: dub

_Stu_

RMS Regular
OP
_Stu_
Lovely big bus this. What's the boot like in these @_Stu_?

Boot is thankfully massive and it’s a good height too for a saloon. Rear leg room is limited but I always have the drivers seat quite far back as I’m 6ft tall.

Reactions: dub

_Stu_

RMS Regular
OP
_Stu_
Headlights came up a lot better after a quick going over with wet sanding and polishing. They aren’t perfect as there’s a bit of hazing inside the lens but that’s to be expected considering the headlights are permanently on in these Volvos.

Some before and after pics....

B10F03F2-AE7E-4AEB-9A6A-8D02CD2B85D3.jpeg

CC684AEA-27EF-4C46-AC96-7D86409BBE17.jpeg

13A66FB9-C5C7-4E56-9E7D-F06C5B260D5B.jpeg

0927AFE8-6217-4AE9-B2F0-D58EE1118420.jpeg

D351BF6A-77F2-4406-9F04-E18B98697764.jpeg

_Stu_

RMS Regular
OP
_Stu_
D5 V50 R-Design was one of the best cars i have ever driven, just ticked every boxes, for me anyway

I’ve been trying to think of other cars that tick all the boxes that the big old Volvo diesels do and anything I can come up with is at least double or triple the price for the equivalent.

I can see this one being a long term keeper if it behaves.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
D5 V50 R-Design was one of the best cars i have ever driven, just ticked every boxes, for me anyway
If it wasn't for the fact that I drive a different car most weeks, thus my own car is parked up in mates yard most of the year, I'm certain I'd have one tbh