Volvo V50 1.6D, crap MPG

_James_

RMS Regular
Drives
V50/M135i
Right chaps, it is well known I hate my Volvo and everything about it but what’s really bothering me is the piss poor mpg.

I do a 32miles commute per day at a steady 65mph and can only get 42mpg, what gives? It doesn’t matter how I drive, it’s always 400miles to a tank regardless.

I’ve changed all the filters inc fuel....no joy.
I replaced the copper washers on the injectors as one was leaking, still no joy
Cleaned out the EGR, nope
Replaced the pipe from turbo to airbox as it looked a bit beaten....na
Noticed the air pipe had a film of oil over it....according to the Internet they do that...
Used redex through it with no improvements
Ran a couple of tanks of BP Ultimate diesel through it and my mpg got worse and the car ran like a bag of sheeite!

I can deal with having a dog**** slow car if I’m getting 55/60mpg but not low 40s....any recommendations?

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Does sound hard on fuel, are they all like that?
Is there any stop start driving in that or isn’t it all steady at 60 or so? My civic has averaged 51-52 over 8000 miles low 40’s in traffic but could do over 60 on a sensible motorway journey at 65mph. I’ve noticed it drop a few mpg overall in the last month with winter arriving

Mark_C

RMS Regular
Unless it's one of the drive ones that sounds about right, maybe a few mpg short.

The proper volvo diesels (2.4 5 cylinders) do more mpg in the heavier cars! My old s60 d5 beater gets around 55 on my M1 commute.

JayT

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi A3eeeeeee
It's a 1.6 in a big estate body theres your problem. I had a 2.2 mondeo estate it.did 55 mpg constantly I change to a 1.6 Hyundai i40 estate it could only do 40mpg was terrible. It's a big car with a wee engine and I'd bet it even has 18inch wheels on it too...

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
The DPF regen uses a fair bit of fuel afaik, I wouldn’t have thought you would have a DPF issue with the speed and miles you do each day. We had an S60 diesel for a month and the DPF was acting up a lot EML light always on etc and the economy terrible. Ended up leaving it back to hursts and getting a petrol car.

_James_

RMS Regular
OP
_James_
Drives
V50/M135i
DPF/Cat issues maybe?

This was my thinking but there is nothing to suggest it.

Unless it's one of the drive ones that sounds about right, maybe a few mpg short.

The proper volvo diesels (2.4 5 cylinders) do more mpg in the heavier cars! My old s60 d5 beater gets around 55 on my M1 commute.

Mine is a DrivE version, 5speed 16v...I think the later models got a 6speed, 8v and start stop

The DPF regen uses a fair bit of fuel afaik, I wouldn’t have thought you would have a DPF issue with the speed and miles you do each day. We had an S60 diesel for a month and the DPF was acting up a lot EML light always on etc and the economy terrible. Ended up leaving it back to hursts and getting a petrol car.

In 2years of driving it, it’s never carried out a regen so I don’t think it’s that....or maybe that is the problem! I fecking hate diesel.

Tommy

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo
Is the 1.6 engine from the focus? I didnt think Volvo made small engines?

_James_

RMS Regular
OP
_James_
Drives
V50/M135i
Is the 1.6 engine from the focus? I didnt think Volvo made small engines?

It is indeed. I think it’s a pug 1.6HDi engine that came in everything during the mid 2000’s

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
It is indeed. I think it’s a pug 1.6HDi engine that came in everything during the mid 2000’s

It is indeed the woeful DV6 engine.
Have a look at the boost pipes behind the slam panel and get a good look at the intercooler core for signs of a black oily residue which would indicate a boost leak. It may not be bellowing out black smoke or be noticeably underpowered as most people would assume it needs to be doing to have a boost leak, but that’s not always the case.

0C858A45-B4AE-4035-BF6A-839EE4AC9960.png

The 2 rubber hoses that some butcher has hacked through while removing that eBay engine with a hatchet and sledge hammer are common culprits to split, especially in beside the metal rings.

111gsi

RMS Regular
It's a 1.6 in a big estate body theres your problem. I had a 2.2 mondeo estate it.did 55 mpg constantly I change to a 1.6 Hyundai i40 estate it could only do 40mpg was terrible. It's a big car with a wee engine and I'd bet it even has 18inch wheels on it too...
For comparison, my Focus 1.6 Petrol estate (essentially the same underneath as a petrol V50) does 37mpg fairly reliably in mixed driving. Dips to about 35mpg in town driving. Will hit 40mpg over a tank of gentle summer cruising.

Boksic

RMS Regular
I've an S40 here and it's averaging 50-55 regardless of driving style.
It's in waterfoot if you want to compare live readings or something. It's 5 speed 1.6 drive model, 59 plate English reg so 09-10

lackingBHP

RMS Regular
Drives
mediocrely
Had a Peugeot 5008 with that engine and could only manage 43-44mpg out it, worst bit is the lack of power to go with the poor mpg. When we changed it earlier in the year I got the 2.0 with 150bhp and it sits at 48mpg all day long.

Simon998

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini
If I baby the Clio I can get an indicated 50+ MPG over a journey, usually 40ish if i'm not sitting in traffic. I worked it out when I was doing some driving for work a few weeks back and averaged 41.3mpg over 570miles (mixed driving) so it wasn't that far off. That's in a 16 year old, 2.0l 16v petrol!

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
172/182 are good in fuel for the performance mine would do over 40 easy on a run too. Great wee motors

OZRACER

RMS Regular
Drives
Ford
My Mondeo 2.2 diesel is averaging around 40 mpg. So I think a 1.6 diesel should get better mpg. Btw, that's mixed driving and I don't exactly take it easy. lol.

Boksic

RMS Regular
It is indeed the woeful DV6 engine.
Have a look at the boost pipes behind the slam panel and get a good look at the intercooler core for signs of a black oily residue which would indicate a boost leak. It may not be bellowing out black smoke or be noticeably underpowered as most people would assume it needs to be doing to have a boost leak, but that’s not always the case.

View attachment 256565
The 2 rubber hoses that some butcher has hacked through while removing that eBay engine with a hatchet and sledge hammer are common culprits to split, especially in beside the metal rings.

Any tips how to get to the intercooler pipe on the left there without a complete stripping match? Top end is accessible no bother, bottom end (intercooler side) looks like a complete **** 👎

Mines a 1.6d 2010 but it's very similar to that engine ways.

Ps I hate cars