Volvo v70r

mrloaf

RMS Regular
Drives
Swedes
Picked this up off @AndyMc a few months ago after deciding my 3 door S3 (as fun as it was) was no longer cutting it for family duties. Always had a soft spot for these estates and had considered one before in the past but nothing suitable was available locally, some estates just seem to have the right lines in my eyes, some people (my wife included) just dont see the attraction - all they see is a hearse :joy: (a 17mpg round town one at that)
Fitted heko wind deflectors which is all i'll be adding to the exterior

Screenshot 2020-01-25 at 19.42.48.png

Some quick specs:
- 2005, Just coming up to 150k (but like any volvo you'd never guess it)
- Adaptive suspension
- 18" Pegasus R alloys
- 2.5T 5pot 300bhp (makes nice noise when you start to get up the rev's 😍)
- BRC LPG conversion
- 5 speed auto
- Atacama (orange) leather interior (complete marmite, but thankfully i love it, any other colour would seem too bland in my head now) heated front seats

Gave the interior and mats a real deep clean, came up pretty well
Screenshot 2020-01-25 at 19.46.52.png

Screenshot 2020-01-25 at 19.47.39.png

Screenshot 2020-01-25 at 23.51.00.png

Have spent the last few months working my way through some maintenance/small jobs, picked up a DICE scanner off ebay and repurposed an old laptop to run Volvo VIDA 2014 software and help with the fault code reading, correct part number identification, live data monitoring, fitting guides etc, a very worthwhile purchase

Screenshot 2020-01-25 at 23.13.19.png

Plan is just to keep on top of maintenance for the time being, its picked up some dings and scrapes along the way so some attention to the bodywork will come down the line after the more important stuff is taken care of.

So far i've checked off
- Oil and fuel filter service
- Couple of exhaust gaskets fitted
- Thermostat replacement and coolant flush
- New Ring Xenon HID bulbs (one of my bulbs was a completely different shade of white, i assumed different bulbs were installed, one was just on its last legs, new bulbs were a massive improvement)
Screenshot 2020-01-25 at 23.21.26.png

- Headlight wipers were in bad shape, new wipers installed
Screenshot 2020-01-25 at 23.25.10.png

- Anti Skid service warning traced to a faulty yaw sensor that was replaced
-
Screenshot 2020-01-25 at 23.23.20.png
Screenshot 2020-01-25 at 23.26.00.png
Screenshot 2020-01-25 at 23.26.07.png

- could feel a lumpy idle at times and confirmed random misfires being tracked in live Vida data monitoring when higher up in the rev range (but not enough to trigger CEL), went to check the ignition components and found the top of the entire valve cover swimming in oil :weary_face: took quite a while to get all the small recesses cleaned out and the cover completely dry so i could trace the source of the leak

Screenshot 2020-01-25 at 23.30.17.png

Forums suggested the oil cap gasket could perish, the one installed was a little brittle, so new one was ordered anyways
Screenshot 2020-01-25 at 23.34.43.png
Screenshot 2020-01-25 at 23.34.51.png

Checking the ignition components (which were all replaced last year and fairly fresh), oil was all over some of the coils and down around the spark plugs, gave everything a good clean up
Screenshot 2020-01-25 at 23.37.25.png
Screenshot 2020-01-25 at 23.37.18.png

Traced the leak to a split in the pcv hose, which was letting out a fine mist of oil, old hose replaced, no oil build up since thankfully
Screenshot 2020-01-25 at 23.39.12.png

Screenshot 2020-01-25 at 23.40.46.png

The car came with a K&N filter in the original sealed airbox, it was in a sorry state tho, i doubt it was filtering anything, plus the inside of the airbox was very grubby - see below!, reckoned wouldnt be doing the MAF any good, so better to go back to an original paper filter
Screenshot 2020-01-25 at 23.43.41.png

Screenshot 2020-01-25 at 23.43.49.png

Removed the MAF and gave it a good spray clean using sensor cleaning spay, before installing the new filter, no more misfires now being recorded so cant be sure if it was a dirty MAF or the oily ignition components, but i'll take that outcome.

Very much a work in progress, plenty of small jobs to keep me happy tinkering with for the next while 😀

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Yesssss! I Love these. Such a cool wagon with a great engine. Nice work on your fixes to date. Ps my wife thinks the same as yours, they just don’t get it 🤷‍♂️

saxo_man

RMS Regular
Great updates so far! Cool colour combo! It does take the right owner to get on top of all these things, and you are really on the ball.
HTD.

Darren91

RMS Regular
Love it, the V70 is a great all round vehicle. My D5 does everything I want and hasn’t missed a beat, they’re definitely a tank!

If you’re looking at any sort of Bluetooth connectivity, the GROM BT3 works really well and provides crisp quality as it works through the cd changer port on the headunit.

mrloaf

RMS Regular
OP
mrloaf
Drives
Swedes
cheers for the comments guys!

@Darren91 there is a grom unit in it but was getting interference through the speakers when trying to bluetooth stream, must get a look and see if there is a loose connection, the standard sound system is excellent, so would be happy to get that sorted!

@warren i've got 28mpg on a run to belfast before so long journeys are fine, most of mine aren't tho lol, thankfully i don't need to do big miles any more so its not too bad on the pocket

@saxo_man cheers Adam, anything with this miles/age will need a little bit of TLC, these wee jobs keep my ticking over, learn a little along the way too which is handy

Mont

RMS Regular
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
Amazing. Loving the detail of the little repairs, same as you did with the S3.

I’ve been looking at V70s lately too and the Rs keep tempting me, especially after seeing one at the Stena ferry in Cairnryan at the September Stena day run - I wonder was it even this one? 🤔

mrloaf

RMS Regular
OP
mrloaf
Drives
Swedes
@Mont it could have been with andy, would think there's not too many of these on the roads over here (havent seem another in my travels yet!)

@Steve you can retrofit seats in the boot, the perfect fast family wagon for you!

@svensktoppen we could indeed, pipe and slippers mandatory tho lol

Neil_M

RMS Regular
What a first post on the thread lol! Love the no BS approach to getting stuff fixed.

She looks great too, great colour combo :grinning:.

AndyMc

RMS Regular
Drives
C350
Amazing. Loving the detail of the little repairs, same as you did with the S3.

I’ve been looking at V70s lately too and the Rs keep tempting me, especially after seeing one at the Stena ferry in Cairnryan at the September Stena day run - I wonder was it even this one? 🤔

The very one, with 2 bikes on the roof.

@mrloaf great to see the big hearse getting the attention she deserves.

The Grom unit that is in it only messes the bluetooth up when it connects, if you choose an ipod/other source using the cd keys it works just fine. Never was able to get to the bottom of that as it was a replacement after a first one died.

mrloaf

RMS Regular
OP
mrloaf
Drives
Swedes
@mrloaf great to see the big hearse getting the attention she deserves.

The Grom unit that is in it only messes the bluetooth up when it connects, if you choose an ipod/other source using the cd keys it works just fine. Never was able to get to the bottom of that as it was a replacement after a first one died.

Cheers Andy, will give that a go! (y) (y)

BarryPort

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
How’s this going for you? Are they temperamental or do you just like footering.
What I’m trying to ask is, smiles per miles are they a call ache?

mrloaf

RMS Regular
OP
mrloaf
Drives
Swedes
How’s this going for you? Are they temperamental or do you just like footering.
What I’m trying to ask is, smiles per miles are they a call ache?

Hi Barry, have been using this daily for last 6 months, hasnt never started or left me stranded yet, after the maintenance/fixes I mentioned earlier in the thread were done its been running grand