Volvo XC90 16>

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
Does anyone on here have a Volvo XC90, the newer shape from 16 onwards ?

Mrs B changing cars soon and we've been looking at these and keen to hear feedback from anyone who may have one.

Thanks

RickyB

RMS Regular
Drives
E3VO X
I nearly bought one before the SQ7!! Fantastic bit of kit and the Seats are just wowwwwww :grinning: Fantastic to drive but what just let it down was no 3.0 Diesel engine. If it just had a bit more go I would have had it :worried:
Saying that probably plenty for Mrs B and junior (y)

chris_b

RMS Regular
OP
chris_b
Drives
A car
I nearly bought one before the SQ7!! Fantastic bit of kit and the Seats are just wowwwwww :grinning: Fantastic to drive but what just let it down was no 3.0 Diesel engine. If it just had a bit more go I would have had it :worried:
Saying that probably plenty for Mrs B and junior (y)
Well you know the alternatives lol head wrecked, trying not to like the Volvo but have driven it twice now and honestly I am very impressed.

Still think a Disco in black with a smacky set of wheels is a real jeep though :laughing: (and a MASSIVE warranty)

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
It is a stunning looking jeep I think and the tech inside is a great step forward I think.

Jonny_W

RMS Regular
Well you know the alternatives lol head wrecked, trying not to like the Volvo but have driven it twice now and honestly I am very impressed.

Still think a Disco in black with a smacky set of wheels is a real jeep though :laughing: (and a MASSIVE warranty)

Which Disco Chris?

Robin_Hood

RMS Regular
Drives
Defender
Interested in this also.
Looking at changing our XC60 for 90 soon ish..

Three variations, Momentum, R Design & Inscription
The trim levels are fantastic standard and some of the options are excellent t, Xenium Pack & Bowers & Wilkins Sound system..

chris_b

RMS Regular
OP
chris_b
Drives
A car
Which Disco Chris?
Well here’s the thing, I drove the new one and tbh I didn’t like it actually.

It feels absolutely huge on the road, it’s very hard to place accurately due to the bonnet falling away from the screen and the rounded front, there isn’t a lot of room in the back so once Jnr has his seat in the passenger seat has to be very forward and then due to the shape it feels like you’ve a big hump on your back lol
Also it’s not quite so versatile with no split tailgate and all the extra interior design trims.

The 4, and specifically the Landmark is a fantastic place to sit. We’ve also done a ton of miles through Europe in one so both have a massive soft spot for them. Plus should I want it’s a perfect tow vehicle.

So that’s our choices right now, a run out Disco 4 with all the toys or an XC90 R design with whatever we could afford spec wise as it seems endless

I really have to say the Volvo impressed us both massively and I should add we tried pretty much everything else

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
Before I went to the Jag I had looked at the new XC90 R design.

I thought it was amazing..... all except for the engine.

Why they are insistent on using a 4 pot on something as big bemuses me.

I even took a 48hr test drive with the T8 (petrol hybrid approx 400bhp) version and was left underwhelmed with it too.

Like @RickyB has said, if they had a larger engine with a bit more oomph they’d be nigh on perfect.

SJM2016

RMS Regular
Drives
Green A-Class
It would have to be an R-Design XC90 all day long for me. Really lovely to drive, although I've driven them with work on short journeys. You should come down and buy one ;) though give @EP3 James a shout if you're interested

chris_b

RMS Regular
OP
chris_b
Drives
A car
It would have to be an R-Design XC90 all day long for me. Really lovely to drive, although I've driven them with work on short journeys. You should come down and buy one ;) though give @EP3 James a shout if you're interested
James McCord ? You work there too ?

Oh they defo really impressed me for sure, just trying to shake the ‘womans Jeep’ stigma in my head, that said it will be hers I suppose

SJM2016

RMS Regular
Drives
Green A-Class
James McCord ? You work there too ?

Oh they defo really impressed me for sure, just trying to shake the ‘womans Jeep’ stigma in my head, that said it will be hers I suppose

Yeah he's a good lad and will look after you and yeah I work there to.

Jonny_W

RMS Regular
Well here’s the thing, I drove the new one and tbh I didn’t like it actually.

It feels absolutely huge on the road, it’s very hard to place accurately due to the bonnet falling away from the screen and the rounded front, there isn’t a lot of room in the back so once Jnr has his seat in the passenger seat has to be very forward and then due to the shape it feels like you’ve a big hump on your back lol
Also it’s not quite so versatile with no split tailgate and all the extra interior design trims.

The 4, and specifically the Landmark is a fantastic place to sit. We’ve also done a ton of miles through Europe in one so both have a massive soft spot for them. Plus should I want it’s a perfect tow vehicle.

So that’s our choices right now, a run out Disco 4 with all the toys or an XC90 R design with whatever we could afford spec wise as it seems endless

I really have to say the Volvo impressed us both massively and I should add we tried pretty much everything else

Totally agree chris about the new Discovery, we have had the pleasure of having every courtesy car that Land Rover have and for some reason they sent us the big Disco a few times it was big but not practical. With 3 kids we looked for a while and I actually went to see a Disco 4 but it was sold and that’s how we ended up with the sport (don’t take a week long test drive lol)

I love the new Volvo XC90 and we are discussing shifting the sport next year when it hits 2 year old and I would definitely entertain one. I think the Volvo build quality is fantastic and I had a xc60 t5 or something r design as a courtesy car a few years back and loved it.

You normally cannot go wrong with a Volvo.

Mark_C

RMS Regular
The xc90 isn't about power or performance, it's about transporting you and your loved ones in as much safety and comfort as possible. Volvos mission is that Noone will die in a new Volvo by 2020.

Look up the number of deaths in the previous gen xc90 from 2002 in the UK, it's zero.

If you want something bigger that does 0-60 in less time than a T8, then buy from another manufacturer but if you crash it, there's a far higher chance you or an occupant will be injured. I would argue if you want something faster than a T8 an SUV isn't really for you.

chris_b

RMS Regular
OP
chris_b
Drives
A car
The xc90 isn't about power or performance, it's about transporting you and your loved ones in as much safety and comfort as possible. Volvos mission is that Noone will die in a new Volvo by 2020.

Look up the number of deaths in the previous gen xc90 from 2002 in the UK, it's zero.

If you want something bigger that does 0-60 in less time than a T8, then buy from another manufacturer but if you crash it, there's a far higher chance you or an occupant will be injured. I would argue if you want something faster than a T8 an SUV isn't really for you.
Couldn’t agree more with this and well aware of Volvos target, actually think the XC90 is very possibly thee safest car on the road tbh.

Performance doesn’t come into the equation at all actually and the Volvo is more than nimble enough to normal driving duties.
I never referenced ‘faster’ so no idea were you got that idea Mark ?
It’s about pulling power and comfort alongside what caters best for our requirements

Mark_C

RMS Regular
Ah the post wasnt directed at anyone, it's just a general observation on the market tbh

Robin_Hood

RMS Regular
Drives
Defender
Does anyone on here have a Volvo XC90, the newer shape from 16 onwards ?

Mrs B changing cars soon and we've been looking at these and keen to hear feedback from anyone who may have one.

Thanks

Have you looked or bought anything yet?
We are still on the hunt.

Anyone interested in a very nice XC60?

chris_b

RMS Regular
OP
chris_b
Drives
A car
Have you looked or bought anything yet?
We are still on the hunt.

Anyone interested in a very nice XC60?
Hey Robin, no not yet. Was away with work for a while there and not long home so recommencing the search

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.