Volvo xc90 d5 - died along the road and now won't start

Head Gasket

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo S60
It's a very soft hummng noise. Lower mileage vehicles can be very quiet, whereas 100,000+ mile examples are more audible. Instead of trying to disconnect any pipes to the filter, I would remove the filter itself and turn the key to ignition position 2. If diesel pours out of the filter housing, then the issue is either the filter itself or the supply line to the hp pump.

Antoin

RMS Regular
OP
Antoin
Drives
E60 535d
Provided i can get the filter housing off :joy:

A few other questions;
Does this car have a fuel pump relay and is it likely it could go bad?
Is there a fuel cutoffthat could have got triggered and if so where is it to reset it?

Edit; if I opened the water drain on the filter housing surely it would pour diesel out if I cycled the pump a few times as if it was working?

Head Gasket

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo S60
Yes it would, but you wouldn't know what condition the filter is in. If your filter housing looks like part number 30792513, I've the tool for it in Belfast if you want to borrow it. The relays are normally very reliable and don't give any trouble. Some of them are built into the CEM and ECM, so are not readily replaceable as such. I would need to check your vin to see what way it's wired.

Antoin

RMS Regular
OP
Antoin
Drives
E60 535d
Yes it would, but you wouldn't know what condition the filter is in. If your filter housing looks like part number 30792513, I've the tool for it in Belfast if you want to borrow it. The relays are normally very reliable and don't give any trouble. Some of them are built into the CEM and ECM, so are not readily replaceable as such. I would need to check your vin to see what way it's wired.

It would be more just as a quick check to see that the pump is working or not. If it's pouring out it's not the pump or filter and that then leaves me another conundrum!
Thank you I might take you up on the filter tool offer. (y)

Head Gasket

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo S60
Indeed. The sender units do fail, though in my experience it's normally the transfer units. Feel free to give me a shout if you need a lend of the tool.

Antoin

RMS Regular
OP
Antoin
Drives
E60 535d
Just to confirm @Head Gasket in the pic below there is 2 pipes at the front of the pump. I'm assuming one is the fuel return as it's linked to the leak off pipes on the injectors and the other is the high pressure rail feed. The 3rd pipe hidden in that photo enters from the side and I am assuming that is the low pressure inlet feed. That's the one I removed to see if any diesel was getting pumped up to the hp. Have I got that right?
20200802_192707.jpg

Head Gasket

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo S60
From memory the top pipe is the return line and the bottom is the feed to the HP pump from the sender unit. *Will double check tomorrow

Head Gasket

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo S60
Your HP pump, injectors and fuel rail all return via the top pipe. I have highlighted the supply connection to your HP pump from the sender unit in your photo. You can disconnect the pipe here if you want to check fuel supply to the HP pump, or alternatively where I have highlighted with the pen. The clips will need to be replaced afterwards.

Attachments

• 20200803_075115.jpg
    20200803_075115.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 90
  • 20200803_073022.jpg
    20200803_073022.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 94

Antoin

RMS Regular
OP
Antoin
Drives
E60 535d
Thank you @Head Gasket thats where I disconnected it yesterday evening (just wanted to doublecheck) Nothing coming out when I cycle the ignition/ try to start the car.
Next port of call I think will be the filter as you and others have suggested.

On a seperate note would an immobiliser problem prevent diesel from getting to this point. I am unsure how Volvo immobilise their diesels. Do they stop diesel flow or would the car simply not turn over at all?

Head Gasket

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo S60
I think the immobiliser cuts the injector pulses. The car will continue to turnover but won't fire up. If the immobiliser is active you will normally get a 'start prevented' message or similar.

Antoin

RMS Regular
OP
Antoin
Drives
E60 535d
Yeah not getting anything like that so hopefully that rules that out.
Filter ordered so il get a look at that end tonight.
Is there such a thing as Real OEM (the BMW parts database) for Volvos?

Head Gasket

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo S60
You can buy VIDA (Vehicle Information & Diagnostics for Aftersales). It shows part numbers as well as fault finding procedures, technical information and repair procedures etc. Most people will go for a VIDA DICE package that includes the vehicle interface hardware.

Boksic

RMS Regular
If it makes you feel any better, my xc90 let a bit of a shudder out of it and rolled to a nice stop at the side of the road a couple of hundred metres from my house a few weeks ago there.. Broke the timing belt. ***** craic. Great big wagon otherwise so hopefully you get yours sorted cheap 👍🏻

Antoin

RMS Regular
OP
Antoin
Drives
E60 535d
I wasn't driving it so didn't hear what noise it was making when it quit but I assume when mine is turning over ok that the timing belt is still intact.

Ill have to get the software bought as i tend to keep cars for a long time so its usually worth the initial outlay.

Spoke to the fella that sold me the car....fuel filter done by his mechanic and never had this issue before.
I've ordered another filter and il do it myself to be 100% sure.

mrloaf

RMS Regular
Drives
Swedes
VIDA can be downloaded for free, I got a copy from a volvo forum, was actually a Windows 7 virtual image with VIDA already loaded

Antoin

RMS Regular
OP
Antoin
Drives
E60 535d
Right I got it started.
Took the low pressure feed off the pump. Rigged up a 25 litre drum of diesel and a primer bulb and had my da prime it as I started the car with the aid of a jump off the 5 series.
I thought well that points to filter or lift pump as the culprit. Thought what the hell il put it back together and try it another time with its own tank feed. Fired up straight away.

My conclusion is therefore, the diesel range gauge was lying (still said 40miles to go) The wife ran out of diesel. The diesel lines were airlocked and the lift pump on its own wasn't enough to prime them. Doesn't explain why I was getting no diesel out of the low pressure side when priming? Perhaps the lift pump is on its way out.

Took it a good hoke about and it seems to be driving well and restarting fine. Il see what it's like in the morning.

Thanks to you all for your help (y)

salster

RMS Regular
Drives
mini
one problem i had before was the filter in the tank was 1/4 blocked and would only lift fuel when above that level.

Antoin

RMS Regular
OP
Antoin
Drives
E60 535d
That could be a problem as well.

It still leaves me with questions.

Faulty transfer pump in tank would explain why despite some diesel remaining in the tank (40miles on the range) it conked out.
When I removed the low feed pipe I was getting nothing out of the end of it? Faulty lift pump?
How does that explain why it is now sending diesel up to the HP pump? Can the HP draw its own diesel up without the need for the lift pump.

I have a copy of VIDA coming so i should hopefully have answers to those questions.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
That could be a problem as well.

It still leaves me with questions.

Faulty transfer pump in tank would explain why despite some diesel remaining in the tank (40miles on the range) it conked out.
When I removed the low feed pipe I was getting nothing out of the end of it? Faulty lift pump?
How does that explain why it is now sending diesel up to the HP pump? Can the HP draw its own diesel up without the need for the lift pump.

I have a copy of VIDA coming so i should hopefully have answers to those questions.

Most HP diesels can cope without the feed pump working in most operating cases but would obviously struggle when air locked if ran out of fuel

Antoin

RMS Regular
OP
Antoin
Drives
E60 535d
That would explain the current situation then and hopefully that is the case.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
As a side note, if a vehicle just dies with no prior warning, don’t just wind it over hoping it’ll restart. Remove the oil cap and get someone to crank it to ensure the belt hasn’t broken. If it’s intact, you’ll see the cams rotating; if it’s snapped the belt, you won’t.

If there’s no one on hand to wind it over for you, take note of the cam lobe position in relation to a cam cap or the rocker cover and wind it yourself, then check again to see if it has moved position.

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Check the connections under the pass side rear seat, one of the plugs is abs other is the tank pump. Tank pump may have died, ive experienced this on V70's, they run poorly or not at all when fuel goes below ÂĽ tank