VW diesel emissions scandal

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Anyone else catch this one? Has caused a huge drop in VAG share prices and could result in a $18bn fine!

VW Boss Sorry For US Car Emission Scandal

The scandal came to light on Friday when the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) said it had uncovered a "defeat device" that turned on emission controls when a vehicle was undergoing an emissions test.

It claimed that when cars were on the road during normal operations with the device turned off, the cars emitted as much as 40 times the level of pollutants allowed under US law.

The allegations affect 482,000 diesel cars sold in the US, including the 2009-15 Jetta, Beetle, Audi A3 and Golf, and the 2014-15 Passat.

The EPA said that under its rules, VW could face a fine of up to $18bn (£11.6bn).

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
I think it's something like a $37k fine per vehicle sold. Madness!

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Is this the same 'defeat device' that deactivates when a 'felt spec car accelerates in front of you, suddenly creating a toxic black cloud of death that contains at least 40,000 more times emission than is legally allowed? :grinning:

AC

RMS Regular
Sneaky bastids! Fuel of the devil, less diesels on the road the better in my mind.

Nothing worse than sitting behind a "well maintained" derv in traffic, with the windows up and fan off for fear of being suffocated by the distinct smell of death.

Mark_C

RMS Regular
TBH how many of the manufacturers aren't at it in some way or another - you only have to look at the claimed mpg figures that some (or indeed, all) put out - pure fantasy, achievable only in a lab on a rolling road with little resistance. Yeah, they're 'capable' of it, but you sure as hell aren't going to get anywhere near the claims. My wifes old DS3 was 'claimed' 75mpg - could get 46-50 out of it at a push (Although the trip computer always read optimistically in the 60's)

The systems are built to pass the test, they just got caught with that particular method :grinning:

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Exactly Mark, they're all at it as there's no way any normal person can hit their claimed figures.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
There is a difference between engineering something within the rules to get the best figures possible and actually cheating the test though. The reason fuel economy figures aren't representative is because the cycle that is run isn't representative of real world driving

Rover Repair

RMS Regular
Drives
Rover's!
Ah it's horse****.

Same emissions cheats are used to get the mpg results and sure all them are lies.

This is just another excuse for EU to target diesel power in cars again.

Won't be an 18billion fine could cripple vw between jobs etc, Mark my words with German company and EU run by Germany basically won't even be 1% of that.

Load of ****. Who cares. We all know companies are pulling moves, as long as I get my £5 asda jeans I couldn't care lol.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
And you can bet all those diesel trucks in the US are so squeaky clean.....

Which I'm sure were built to whatever standards were expected at the time. The problem is the deception not the actual pollution (which I'm sure is a drop in the ocean!)

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
The details at the minute seem more than vague...lets face it, how would the car know a test was being carried out in the first place ?

Exactly what is the test the refer to anyway ?

is it just the US or further afield ?

Would it be a good time to buy shares in VW ?