VW diesel emissions scandal

PaddyCvr

RMS Regular
Drives
Lancer/Mazda
Spoke to Ryan, he recommended keeping the "updates" and apply a remap. That's what I took from the conversation.
Everyone I've spoken to has said the opposite tbh! People with the updates are having EGR/injector problems which a remap simply wont fix apparently. I don't know how it works but pre fix cars make more torque/power and the regens on the DPF are far less too!

Edit : Newest post on that Facebook group seem to confirm this :
NGqwqnG.png
Dd4XZ9a.png

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Won't VW just put it back on and "reverse the reversal" next time the car goes in for a dealer service?

Ruairi83

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7.5 GTi PP
Won't VW just put it back on and "reverse the reversal" next time the car goes in for a dealer service?
Nope. As long as you state you don’t want it done. My car has been in numerous times over the years for services and warranty work. I signed a form to reject it and told them if they did it to car they could keep it as didn’t want it back. Has never been applied.

pobmk4

RMS Regular
Drives
Caddy 2K
I would love to see some actual technically tested evidence....not just a rolling road printout or perceived feelings of a vehicle. That guy in the fb post states it changes pre/post injections and pressures.... I'd love to see it on a scope trace to see if hes right OR if hes just another bandwagon jumper.

There is a benefit to having the software applied....goodwill from the manufacturer covering dpf, egr, injectors etc. Again I can relate this via my own business, being the fact I advise my customers on how to keep their dpf/egr/ in good condition via driving styles, servicing and fuel.

I see little issues in here with the supposed effects of the recall, but then I'm not trying to sell someone a "quick fix" map or software adjustment :p

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
So there should be no detrimental affects of the fix, if the car is serviced and driven appropriately?

Ruairi83

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7.5 GTi PP
I would love to see some actual technically tested evidence....not just a rolling road printout or perceived feelings of a vehicle. That guy in the fb post states it changes pre/post injections and pressures.... I'd love to see it on a scope trace to see if hes right OR if hes just another bandwagon jumper.

There is a benefit to having the software applied....goodwill from the manufacturer covering dpf, egr, injectors etc. Again I can relate this via my own business, being the fact I advise my customers on how to keep their dpf/egr/ in good condition via driving styles, servicing and fuel.

I see little issues in here with the supposed effects of the recall, but then I'm not trying to sell someone a "quick fix" map or software adjustment :p
Did you get the fix done the work Van? 🤪

pobmk4

RMS Regular
Drives
Caddy 2K
Did you get the fix done the work Van? 🤪

Not yet as i havent the new dpf in it, I was wrongly advised nearly 5 years ago to remove it and the egr by the company that remapped it.... it didnt make a tap of difference.....so I have the new parts sitting to be fitted and it WILL be getting the software update done. :p

Ruairi83

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7.5 GTi PP
Not yet as i havent the new dpf in it, I was wrongly advised nearly 5 years ago to remove it and the egr by the company that remapped it.... it didnt make a tap of difference.....so I have the new parts sitting to be fitted and it WILL be getting the software update done. :p
I’m on same boat 😋

kharma45

RMS Regular
Drives
981 S / 530d

Autocar did testing on it Autocar test shows worse economy after Volkswagen diesel fix | Autocar

Few snippets from it

The Autocar test was conducted at Millbrook Proving Ground to the standard set by the True MPG real-world test cycle of our sister title What Car?. The test used the latest international standard equipment for testing vehicles in a scientific and repeatable manner to industry standards.

It revealed that while NOx emissions were almost halved from 0.639g/km pre-fix to 0.351g/km post-fix, our test car’s combined fuel economy had fallen from 50.72mpg to 47.61mpg. This means that its CO2 emissions increased from 147.3g/km to 156.9g/km, a change of 6.5%.

VW disputes our findings. It says there are more than 20 variables that can impact a test result such as ours. It would not, however, provide further details of those variables when asked to do so by Autocar.

Volkswagen's response to our test

“Volkswagen was not provided with sufficient information concerning the testing criteria nor an explanation of how such a cycle is representative of real-world driving.

- Despite VW’s claim, Autocar supplied all test details requested by the manufacturer.

pobmk4

RMS Regular
Drives
Caddy 2K
In that review they tested one car, what was the serviceable condition of that vehicle? There are too many things that can affect the outcome of these tests, hence why they had to bring it down to fuel economy in the end and that's all they could prove. Did they check fuel quality, oil quality, dpf soot levels (exhaust blockage), inlet chamber conditions, injector correction levels, spray patterns, was it run at the same ambient temps as the previous overall mpg had been obtained, tyre pressures, tread wear, sensor tolerances for EGT and differential pressure?

The average joe has absolutely no idea what parameters have been changed to obtain these "legal" limits, so when a semi technical opinion is passed online "it has to be gospel".

According to the review less than 1% of the total vehicles that have had the software fix have complained about adverse effects. I for one have fixed more cars with dpf, egr and injector issues prior to the recall. Sure they even offer goodwill on all affected parts for up to 18 months or 150k.

kharma45

RMS Regular
Drives
981 S / 530d
In that review they tested one car, what was the serviceable condition of that vehicle? There are too many things that can affect the outcome of these tests, hence why they had to bring it down to fuel economy in the end and that's all they could prove. Did they check fuel quality, oil quality, dpf soot levels (exhaust blockage), inlet chamber conditions, injector correction levels, spray patterns, was it run at the same ambient temps as the previous overall mpg had been obtained, tyre pressures, tread wear, sensor tolerances for EGT and differential pressure?

The average joe has absolutely no idea what parameters have been changed to obtain these "legal" limits, so when a semi technical opinion is passed online "it has to be gospel".

According to the review less than 1% of the total vehicles that have had the software fix have complained about adverse effects. I for one have fixed more cars with dpf, egr and injector issues prior to the recall. Sure they even offer goodwill on all affected parts for up to 18 months or 150k.

They do admit that, that the test was only on one car What does our VW dieselgate fix test prove? | Autocar and it's a fair point, a sample size of one isn't going to tell you lots.

pobmk4

RMS Regular
Drives
Caddy 2K
I'm still dubious about cars that have had the fix, I dont think they are any better or any more reliable. The whole thing is just a scandal from start to finish, including other recent manufacturers that have been "caught".

People (rogue traders :joy: ) just milk every penny they can get by scaremongering customers with the negatives because they are mostly uneducated about their product.

PaddyCvr

RMS Regular
Drives
Lancer/Mazda
Anyone had the reversal done?
I'll be having it done very soon. Will let yous know how I get on.
Having driven my own fixed car and the same car without it, I can tell you that there is a considerable difference in mid range torque. MPG is another big reason why i'm having it done too. Will also save my EGR/ injectors also :p

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Everyone gona buy big diesel 4x4's now like America. They arent cars.

The most bizarre thing is.....it doesnt even start to tackle the actual problem which is overpopulation.

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
In the grand scheme of things the UK doing this will amount to a drop in the ocean.

Our contribution to carbon is minuscule when compared to places such as America, even if we were to be carbon neutral tomorrow it wouldn't make a difference unless other countries do the same.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
In the grand scheme of things the UK doing this will amount to a drop in the ocean.

Our contribution to carbon is minuscule when compared to places such as America, even if we were to be carbon neutral tomorrow it wouldn't make a difference unless other countries do the same.

It wont make a difference anyway....as it isnt a problem.

kharma45

RMS Regular
Drives
981 S / 530d

Whilst true, we shouldn't be exacerbation it. Moreover the reduction in emissions also helps at a local air quality level too. Public Health England found that between 28,000 and 36,000 deaths a year were attributed to long-term exposure of pollution. Research in Germany found that more die from poor air quality than the result of smoking with around 790K deaths.

There's more than just a global angle to the reduction in emissions. Micro scale improvements are as important as macro scale.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Doing something is better than doing nothing, every little helps, and so on.

It's true.

What we do obviously won't solve all the problems in the world. But still makes things a little better as above even if just for ourselves.

Non-fossil cars won't solve all problems in the world but they will help towards some problems. Not least air quality in cities.

That said, the UK is a long way behind, the infra even further behind. We are truly fossils compared to much of Europe. And this announcement is really just a token ad with zero substance behind it.

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
The problem is, will the technology and infrastructure be here in just 15 years to make all electric cars a viable transportation option for everyone. I seriously doubt it.

unless car makers have been purposely suppressing the technology in favour of conventional fuels, I simply don’t know how they will provide viable cars within this timeframe.