VW Golf 2.0 Tdi 2006 Limp mode when accelerating over 60mph

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Gaz_DC5

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi A7
Hi guys

Have a 2.0 tdi that when pushed over 70mph or under acceleration over 60mph, as well as going up a hill will go into 'limp mode'. Well the turbo will stop working completely until the ignition is turned off and on. Sometimes it will make the engine light come on but not every time and this will go off itself after a couple of days.

From reading briefly online it looks like an 'over boost' problem.

Can anyone shed any insight?

Thanks

J-VW

RMS Regular
Scan it for codes firstly, it will have stored something if the engine light has came on

greyfloppyhat

RMS Regular
Get someone with vcds to scan it and then take a log of the boost pressure while you drive and try to replicate it. Other wise you'll end up throwing money at it, limp mode can be caused by a range of turbo/boost related issues.

Some things you can easily check while your searching for someone who has vcds to help are ( in no particuar order):
Whether there is play in the inlet turbine and shaft

The condition of the vac lines ( all of them, they can all cause trouble)

The N75 valve

If the VNT actuator moves freely when you push it down and let it release again.

Have a feel around for boost leaks, sometimes you can feel the air escaping if it's big enough and leaks on idle, oily patches sometimes are tell tale signs that there's a boost leak in that area. Most common place is the intercooler inlet, the quick connect clips aren't a great job for holding those pipes firmly in. That combined with o-rings that could do with being slightly thicker make it a good place for it leak under pressure.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
came across this exact same problem last week in work.

the code we got was P0234 relating to an overboost problem.

ae86clyde

RMS Regular
Drives
F10 BMW 520D
My MK4 Golf did this exact same thing and I got the actuator checked and all was fine....long story short was driving to Dublin Airport one night and the turbo stopped boosting all together but it turned out to be just one of the vacuum pipes had been burning on the exhaust/manifold and eventually broke all together hence no boost at all.

Actuators and turbos are a common problem though but maybe worth checking the vacuum pipes before throwing money at the dear stuff.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Bring the car down to GP Turbos and we can have a look at it for you - 02891 870505.

w.reid306

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo / SV650s
i had this couple of years ago, ended up having to get new turbo, vanes were stuck in the old one - common problem

pablo

RMS Moderator
vanes stick shut and cause full boost ALL the time. so eventually pop. its the overboosting causing the limp mode. of course it could also be actuator but defo needs looked at before it goes bang.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Aye, hammer it with a sledge. That'll free the VNT.

Or else have it removed, reconditioned and balanced and fitted again with a 12 month warranty and full oil system flush, oil and air filter and oil change for around £650.

greyfloppyhat

RMS Regular
Agree with Pablo. Joking aside Mr Muscle oven cleaner does clean through carbon very effectively, petrol works well too. Seems to be a tried and tested method

Innotec had (possibly still have) a turbo cleaning kit which is a happy medium between Pablos suggestion and the suggestion in the link I posted

pablo

RMS Moderator
the likes of autotune etc will clean them. its gonna be a risk as you dont know what (if any) damage was done with the overboosting but seems a waste to recon a turbo when it didnt actually go bang.

Gaz_DC5

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz_DC5
Drives
Audi A7
Cheers for all the suggestions guys.

Anyone in the County Antrim area who could be recommended for the job?

BigJoe

RMS Regular
Drives
FR-V - Civic
If its the vanes then the mr muscle worked for me.
To be fair my car is as old as the hills so i didnt mind having a go, but it made all the difference.
I would also check the vac hoses as they are a really really cheap and easy fix.
Third would be to make sure you havent a boost leak, check hoses, joins and the intercooler.

Soapy water in a spray bottle works....spray all the joins and pipes and then get a mate to rev the balls out of it, if you see bubbles then you know where the problem is.

In my case I had a split boost pipe in the end, it was a £3 fix, mine wasnt over boosting, but under boosting!

Your car will try and sort out over/under boost and then go into limp mode!

Gaz_DC5

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz_DC5
Drives
Audi A7
Ended up taking it to Autotune who replaced the VNT vanes in the turbo and replaced three boost seals. Driving perfect now- thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.