VW ID3 real world (NI) range test

Mark Irwin

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Golf
Had an VW ID3 out for an extended test drive over the weekend and decided to see what the real world range was like on a typical winters day here. I set off on Sunday morning before 9am from Dungannon with the battery fully charged showing a potential range of 184 miles (VW claim up to 262 in ideal conditions). Outside temperature was 7 degrees C, it was wet and very windy so I had the lights and wipers on. Climate set to 22.5 degrees and heated seat and steering wheel set to medium. Interestingly maximum regeneration was not available until 28 miles had elapsed. I headed from Dungannon via the M1 to Belfast with the ACC set at 70 mph and sat at all posted speed limits after that. Used westlink and then headed up the M2/A26 towards Ballymena before veering off at Ballymoney towards Bushmills via Dervock on the B66. I then headed to Portush and then Portstewart where I had a cup of tea and sausage roll in Morelli's. Started up again and headed towards Coleraine before picking up the A29 towards Dungannon where I arrived after a total of 3 hours 30 minutes driving time at an average of 46mph. I had travelled 163 miles with 11 miles and 5% showing left on the battery. It did not seem to limit the power once battery was getting low like the E Golf. Thought it should have done a bit more than this but it was a fairly tough if representative test as EV batteries don't like 70mph and colder temperatures/wind. It was a very comfortable car to drive with great suspension and traction being rear wheel drive. Turning circle is excellent but it kept telling me to stay in the middle of the road even when I was. Lane assist does not seem to be able to see the solid white line at the side of the road. Very nice car but still a bit expensive.

Mark Irwin

RMS Regular
OP
Mark Irwin
Drives
Various Golf
This massive block of text is nothing without pictures.

Also is it a victim of penny pinching like the mk8 golf? Range is disappointing for sure - Harry Metcalfe found the same.
There is some evidence of penny pinching but I think they just about get away with it; have to say though my E Golf feels better quality inside even though it is well screwed together.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
As others have mentioned the second generation ID.3 is probably the one to wait for. This Mk1 shows promise but seems to lack the polish/refinement of a VAG product.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Range is disappointing on ourAudi E tron too. About 25% less than quoted figures.

davyk31

RMS Regular
Very interesting real world proper driving test. Not a magnificent range when it’s so far off the published figures. I’m trying to get one for an overnight but getting anything out of my local dealer seems like blood out of a stone, they don’t impress me much yet as regards being keen to sell a car.

Mark Irwin

RMS Regular
OP
Mark Irwin
Drives
Various Golf
Very interesting real world proper driving test. Not a magnificent range when it’s so far off the published figures. I’m trying to get one for an overnight but getting anything out of my local dealer seems like blood out of a stone, they don’t impress me much yet as regards being keen to sell a car.
My local dealer has been very good and tbh if I had only had it for a short drive I do not think I would have bought it; overall I liked the car and will wait to get an ex-demo or one after a year or two. None of these EV's will do the headline figure range a bit like ICE cars unless under amazingly ideal conditions. When I had my Ampera the only way I could get near the potential range was to drive it at 50mph on a relatively flat road when it was 20 degrees or over.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
It’s weird though ours did 185 for about the first month now it won’t go past 145 on a 100% charge.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
185/190 is the quoted figures, it was fine when we got it but now 145 is the max no matter how long it’s left in the charger, still only need 1 charge a week so it’s no big deal but if I was doing big miles I wouldn’t be pleased

davyk31

RMS Regular
There are some pretty good deals on brand new ID3 from English dealers. Start about £25k for the lowest model to about £30k for the First Edition which is a decent reduction on a brand new model.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
185/190 is the quoted figures, it was fine when we got it but now 145 is the max no matter how long it’s left in the charger, still only need 1 charge a week so it’s no big deal but if I was doing big miles I wouldn’t be pleased

Mine is about the same. Currently got 68% charge and 96 miles range. That's stop start city driving though, I'd expect it to be better on a run.

big cyril

RMS Regular
Ours reads 145 when fully charged, heater whacked up to 23.5, heated seat on permanently, mix of driving including motorway speeds. In the summer it read over 170 fully charged but that was with air con/heater completely off (not even fan on).

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Mine is about the same. Currently got 68% charge and 96 miles range. That's stop start city driving though, I'd expect it to be better on a run.
It must be just that we do city driving mostly since we got it, when you turn the ac or heating on it drops about 25-30 miles too.

Did it decrease when it started to get cold? EVs really hate the cold
We got it in August, and it dropped after a few weeks and has been the same since. I think it must be the city driving and short journeys, didn’t think that mattered with an EV though.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Friend of mine had one out at the weekend, he drove from Coleraine to Enniskillen, then back home again. He managed 189 miles.

He’s very impressed though but I think he’s waiting for the higher KW battery to be released in January.

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
Hate to say it but the two we have in at the moment (demo and one sold) are suffering from software issues already with regards to parking aid/assist and reverse camera glitches for which there is currently no fix, and there are different recalls for software relating to other issues pending at the moment. Feels a bit unfinished to me for being a brand new model.

davyk31

RMS Regular
We are obviously discussing cars other than the ID3 here with the reports of 180 and 145 miles. Just wondering what models are we talking about, is it E-Tron?

Mark Irwin

RMS Regular
OP
Mark Irwin
Drives
Various Golf
Hate to say it but the two we have in at the moment (demo and one sold) are suffering from software issues already with regards to parking aid/assist and reverse camera glitches for which there is currently no fix, and there are different recalls for software relating to other issues pending at the moment. Feels a bit unfinished to me for being a brand new model.
Not keen on the way the ID3 camera seems to squeeze and distort the picture. On the Ampera I could reverse right up to a line as it was super clear and true to life. I could see some of the software issue problems when I had it but thankfully they did not interfere too much.

davyk31

RMS Regular
Picked up this morning for a weekend test drive. Good job to get it arranged before lockdown.

Terrible colour though

Attachments

• A0172419-2EF5-4F66-9C41-F100C0289575.jpeg
    A0172419-2EF5-4F66-9C41-F100C0289575.jpeg
    646.5 KB · Views: 132

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Well worth checking tyre pressures when doing these kind of comparisons.

davyk31

RMS Regular
Definitely are a few software glitches with the ID.3. It has done a few funny things with me today so looks like a bit of development is needed. Having said that my M135i also has a few odd glitches so guess it applies to plenty of manufacturers.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Definitely are a few software glitches with the ID.3. It has done a few funny things with me today so looks like a bit of development is needed. Having said that my M135i also has a few odd glitches so guess it applies to plenty of manufacturers.
Worth checking back with the dealers to if they have had any software updates released. Or you might be able to check online for updates and recalls.

davyk31

RMS Regular
Thanks, it’s the dealers demo so it’s their problem but I would also have expected they would try to keep it as up to date as possible and glitch free to impress a potential customer.