VW MK2 Golf Gti - 20v

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

mark19

RMS Regular
Drives
golf
Been meaning to start this thread for months now. Picked up a 1990 mk2 8v gti 3 door tornado red in Feburary. No mot or tax so had to be trailered home. Only really one picture I can find of it due to it being cold and miserable in feburary.

Car was trailered home and then parked in the garage where she sat for a few weeks while I decided what I wanted to do with it. I decided on a full strip down, start from chassis up make sure it was solid and then start the commonly done 1.8t 20v conversion.

First the car was stripped down to the shell (I dont normally take many pictures so will be brief)

Car was trailered home and then parked in the garage where she sat for a few weeks while I decided what I wanted to do with it. I decided on a full strip down, start from chassis up make sure it was solid and then start the commonly done 1.8t 20v conversion.

First the car was stripped down to the shell

Engine was taken out, doors off and bonnet off.

Bought a spit off mk2mania and then with a tiny bit of adjustment got the car on the spit!

Once the car was in the air I was able to get a good look at the underside and see what i had to repair.

Firsty was to remove all the underseal from the car using a mixture of wire brushes and nylon grinding pads from screwfix (very good at removing underseal)

Box of underseal and dust
smile.png

Underside fully strip and bits being welded

think that was close to the best weld done,

As usual in most golfs the A pillars where quite bad

After a few hours

the other side was similar and go the same repair !

Next up was replace all the bushes in the suspension parts, these were all sent for shotblasting then time to take old bushes out

nice wee homemade tool to press the new rear axles bushes in

New bushes in

new wheel bearings wishbones bushes as well as front crossmember bushes.

dont think ive any pictures of the new wishbone bushes in
Haven't updated this in ages although progress seems slow

Got the underside nearly finished all coated with epoxy mastic then all welds seam sealed and applying gravetix stone chip this week

Also have fitted the corrado pedal box and hammered the bulkhead flat!

Steering rack painted along with wishbones subframe brake thingy etc

decided to paint the bottom bright blue metallic which hopefully now will be the colour I end up going for

the rear end has all been built up as well as the front

ST coilovers and all new top mounts etc.

going for the 280mm brake set up on the front and mk4 calipers on the rear

painting the calipers and carriers an audi gunmetally grey colour!

had to sell the wheels that came with the car think they were bbs rz or something in 14inch but they woudnt fit over the new brakes so picked up a set of wheels locally

16inch 7j technocast alloys ? i think they are called anyway should do for once it comes off the spit and for winter wheels. plan to spray them gunmetal grey or silver once, not sure as of yet.

Decided to spray the inside of the car to make sure everything was protected so used a hi build primer and will finish in bbm blue if the weather heats up a bit.

mark19

RMS Regular
OP
M
Drives
golf
Haven't really done much recently waiting on front brakes to come which have taken nearly a month and should be here today then I can run brake lines and take the car off the spit. In the mean time I epoxy mastic'd the engine bay
Then added 2 coats of primer

Then ended up giving the inside a coat of bright blue metallic not the best paint job in the world but all off it will be hidden
Haven't done a a lot over the past few weeks. Managed to get all the brake lines run, maybe not the straightest but I'd glad I did them rather than pay something to do it

Got the front brake discs fitted as well as the calipers and pads and got new flexi hoses made up in stainless steel braid.

N

Also finished spraying my wheels and got tyres put on them. Not to everyone's taste but they will do for winter etc.

A-Ron eg6

RMS Regular
Drives
Eg civic
Some good work, just out of interest were did you get the car spit or did you make it ?

Carson

RMS Regular
Drives
R53 JCW/A4 B8.5
Love these threads and also taken a real notion for a MK2. Keep us updated !

mark19

RMS Regular
OP
M
Drives
golf
Looks good - love a full build thread so keep us updated!
Will do, taken me a year to here....slow but steady haha

awesome! i love mk2's. :heart:

Thanks hope to have it running this year

Nice work so far!

Cheers never really done anything like this before just done the usual fitting coilovers and servicing etc so steep learning curve

This is cool! Good work there, keep the updates coming! :grinning:
Will do quite slow as like most things it all depends on money
@markus19 Ive been following this on Edition38 good to see it on a local form. Have you any more progress on it?

Cheers man thought I'd start it on this forum in case I need local help which I'm sure I will. Having a bit of trouble fitting the fuel tank don't think the repair fuel tank panel I welded in was spot on so not sure how I'm going get round that...maybe the hammer needs to come out

Good progress (y)
Cheers man!

Some good work, just out of interest were did you get the car spit or did you make it ?

Get it off the internet mk2mania it's called I think. Comes all cut to size just weld together although I made a few adjustments for the rear. Just cut it up last night as was taking up to much room :worried:

Cheers

Love these threads and also taken a real notion for a MK2. Keep us updated !

Lovely cars...once they are built up haha

clrrk

RMS Regular
Drives
S14A
Seen this on Edition a few months ago - good to see your making progress with it

mark19

RMS Regular
OP
M
Drives
golf
Seen this on Edition a few months ago - good to see your making progress with it
Cheers man. Progress is a bit slow at the minute just changed the daily so money isn't exactly free at the minute haha
This Mark Gault?

Nice work mate, unreal project. (y)
It is indeed Ian haha
Long long project had it just over a year now haha but hope to be finished end of summer...hopefully

jimc

RMS Regular
Drives
caddy
lot of work so far, hard to beat a good mk2, i have a brand new genuine sunroof seal if she's not a tin top :p

mark19

RMS Regular
OP
M
Drives
golf
Not the biggest update but got the steering column fitted and rear calipers and pads, then spacers and finally wheels and was able to wheel it out of the garage to clear the garage

Wiring has been sent off to rubjonny on edition38 to combine the looms

Tufty

RMS Regular
Drives
RS3/RS4/S6
Rubjonny is a legend there is noting he doesn`t know when it comes to Vw`s and all tjhing`s wiring.

Wheels look really well.

mark19

RMS Regular
OP
M
Drives
golf
Yeah thankfully he's looking at my interior loom as well as its been hacked and bits added like alarms so hopefully will come back soon.
Cheers I'm not sure on the wheels tbh but they were cheap and will do till I finish the car :grinning: how's yours coming on?

mark19

RMS Regular
OP
M
Drives
golf
Been a long time since I've updated this but got my loom back from rubjonny...great job ... So currently building the car back up

Mk4 shift tower installed with bracket made just to keep it secure slight trimming has to be done to the tunnel but nothing major

Steering rack and indicators all fitted

20160718_184329_zps7ev54agt.jpg

And lasty handbrake given a coat of black paint and fitted

mark19

RMS Regular
OP
M
Drives
golf
Been a long time since ive updated. So made all new brake lines under the car and got the fuel lines feed up. Just missing the pipe from the tank to the mk3 fuel filter.

Finally got the engine in. Rear mount didnt clear the pipe so had to clock it 180 degrees but also having trouble lineing the mount up with the bracket but engine is 75 percent in just joining up wiring etc and waiting on parts like pipes and slimline fans etc.. few pictures below

http://s1117.photobu...m5mbp.jpg.html]
20160913_165636_zpsmaim5mbp.jpg

Boksic

RMS Regular
You hoping to finish this over winter mate or is there no time scale?
Love mk2s, wish I'd the time to build one from scratch, it's good to see you're doing it right!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.