Waiting times on V55/5? Anyone registered an import recently?

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
Legacy SpecB
Hi all

I bought a 98 VW Transporter and am converting it into a stealth camper van, it's currently on a Southern Reg

I sent off a v55/5 all the supporting documents on 28/09 and have yet to hear anything back. I have the van Insured by the VIN, and have paid for a years insurance, but as it's by VIN the insurance company will only give me a cover note for 30 days at a time, and expires in a few days (Despite having paid up until Oct2021)

The insurance company called me today chasing up the new UK/NI number plate, so I've called DVLA who still haven't even began to process my request as it's not on their system, and say it can take up to 6-8 weeks currently. I explained that the cover note expires in a few days, and was just told "Hopefully we'll process you're before then" and basically if they don't, it could still be 8 weeks and it'll be rejected because the insurance has expired on the cover note. The insurance company say they can issue me a new cover note, but again, just for 30days.

The insurance company also state I can't drive the van until I get a UK/NI plate. So it looks like o might end up going round in circles sending off applications every X number of weeks for DVLA to keep rejecting them because they take so long to process them that the 30 day cover notes keep expiring, and won't be able to use the vehicle despite it being insured and MOTd

Anyone else been through this recently?