Expired Deal Want some 1p biltong?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
had mine munched in the car on the way home from the post office, its nice but I think cruga has the edge on it still.

mn5587

RMS Regular
Drives
CLK 55 AMG
The deal is long gone but it inspired me to make my own
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

mn5587

RMS Regular
Drives
CLK 55 AMG
I found a website with instructions on how to build a box then followed a recipe for the biltong itself. I can fire some info up if you are interested.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Ray mears was making some nice looking jerky tonight on the travel channel. Native American Indian style.

mn5587

RMS Regular
Drives
CLK 55 AMG
The box itself is just a plastic storage box from B&Q ( I thought about building a wooden one but in the end I couldn't be arsed). I have air holes in the sides at the bottom and two 12v fans in the lid (I used old pc fans on suction). I stuck a 40w bulb in the side of the box to help dry the air. From other designs, they reckon that just either a fan or a bulb is enough but I went for both due to our damp climate!

Next some dowels in the sides near the top for hanging the meat. I sealed all holes (except the ones in the bottom with some bathroom sealer and put a bit of rubber round the lid to help seal it.

The aim is to get a nice flow of dry air over the meat.

Meat- I bought a big roasting joint of beef with little fat on it and cut it into inch wide strips. Next you have to salt it. Salt in a tray then layers of meat and salt. Make sure all the meat is covered completely (this draws moisture out of the meat and helps the marinade to flavour the meat more effectively)
image.jpeg

Put this in the fridge for about an hour, the meat should be firm.

Next, wash off all the salt and dunk the strips into a solution of 2/3rds malt vinegar, 1/3 Worcester sauce and some brown sugar for approx 15 mins (this adds the colour and some taste).
image.jpeg

Remove from this solution and squeeze out some of the excess and sprinkle the meat with crushed coriander seeds and black pepper (that seems to be the traditional spices, I tried others as well but it didn't turn out as good).

image.jpeg

Hang the strips in the box (I used paperclips but you can also use string) and don't let the strips touch one another. Mine took 6 days to cure.

image.jpeg

I'm pleased with the results for a first attempt and I might change the marinade and meat to see what it's like.

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
The box itself is just a plastic storage box from B&Q ( I thought about building a wooden one but in the end I couldn't be arsed). I have air holes in the sides at the bottom and two 12v fans in the lid (I used old pc fans on suction). I stuck a 40w bulb in the side of the box to help dry the air. From other designs, they reckon that just either a fan or a bulb is enough but I went for both due to our damp climate!

Next some dowels in the sides near the top for hanging the meat. I sealed all holes (except the ones in the bottom with some bathroom sealer and put a bit of rubber round the lid to help seal it.

Meat- I bought a big roasting joint of beef with little fat on it and cut it into inch wide strips. Next you have to salt it. Salt in a tray then layers of meat and salt. Make sure all the meat is covered completely (this draws moisture out of the meat and helps the marinade to flavour the meat more effectively)
View attachment 100881

Next, wash off all the salt and dunk the strips into a solution of 2/3rds malt vinegar, 1/3 Worcester sauce and some brown sugar for approx 15 mins (this adds the colour and some taste).
View attachment 100882

Remove from this solution and squeeze out some of the excess and sprinkle the meat with crushed coriander seeds and black pepper (that seems to be the traditional spices, I tried others as well but it didn't turn out as good).

View attachment 100883

Hang the strips in the box (I used paperclips but you can also use string) and don't let the strips touch one another. Mine took 6 days to cure.

View attachment 100884

I'm pleased with the results for a first attempt and I might change the marinade and meat to see what it's like.

Really Mean Biltong (y)

Chris_702

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2

View attachment 100881

View attachment 100882

View attachment 100883

View attachment 100884

Thanks for that. I'll have to give that a go! (y)

mn5587

RMS Regular
Drives
CLK 55 AMG
awesome.....how much would you say it cost for the meat and ingredients vs buying already made .

I paid about £5 for the ingredients and £20 for the meat, that made roughly 1kg of biltong.

On that Chicester Biltong Company website, 1kg is £40.

You could get cheaper beef, I didn't get it when it was on offer. The big supermarkets usually have it at a third off at certain times.

You could build a box for £20, with time and electricity also factored in it's definately cheaper and more fun to make your own!

Reactions: dub

Walder

RMS Regular
I paid about £5 for the ingredients and £20 for the meat, that made roughly 1kg of biltong.

On that Chicester Biltong Company website, 1kg is £40.

You could get cheaper beef, I didn't get it when it was on offer. The big supermarkets usually have it at a third off at certain times.

You could build a box for £20, with time and electricity also factored in it's definately cheaper and more fun to make your own!

I shall be adding this to my new years projects !

Will be making a honey porter after christmas so beer and meat ! everyones welcome.

mn5587

RMS Regular
Drives
CLK 55 AMG
I shall be adding this to my new years projects !

Will be making a honey porter after christmas so beer and meat ! everyones welcome.

Ah nice one! I've got my latest batch of ale sitting ready for Christmas

Let me know how the biltong goes

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.