Attachments

• CF28FF48-E020-4051-8ED4-6842C876580E.png
    CF28FF48-E020-4051-8ED4-6842C876580E.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 133

Wilseyvr6

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk3 VR6
06 jetta with 199k miles and 11 mot I'll take £650 for it. Can send you on photos if interested.

chrisd1

RMS Regular
Drives
AE86 / EF Civic
This will outlive us all! For a cheap dailt you want sonething reliable, doesnt get mlre reliable. Never seen one with leather

Agreed mate, it's a great wee car, never used now as a spare at home so someone will get a great daily. Straight through the MOT, clean and tidy wee car with plenty of power for the roads. Bargain at that money I have to say, alot of car and spec with the reliability compared to some

Last edited:

Deleted member 13907

D
Rather than start a new thread, thought I would jump on the back of this one.
I'm in the process of changing jobs and also changing both my car and the wife's car at the moment.
We had decided to change the cars before the job offer came up, but is has added a layer of complexity in the short term.
Basically the plan was for me to sell my car and put the money into getting the wife an SUV.
I would then sell her car and buy something cheap for commuting.
The new job for me is in Ballinamallard, which is basically a 60mile drive each way every day.
I only need to go down there full-time until Christmas and then I'll be based closer to home.
There will be a company car/car allowance with the job, but I'd rather wait until Spring to get something decent (planning to go down the allowance route)

So basically what I'm looking for is a cheap commuter - less than £5k (ideally more like £3k-ish) - capable of travelling 600miles/week.
Must be something fairly comfortable, which is probably going to rule out small hatchbacks.
Must be diesel and economical, due to length of the commute, etc.
Must have cruise control (I'll be on the motorway from Portadown to Ballygawley)
Ideally would like something four wheel drive - my route would be basically motorway to Ballygawley, main road to Fivemiletown, then cross country through Claby, Tempo and Kilskeery. The road from Tempo to Kilskeery in particular is basically like driving over the top of a mountain, so something fairly sure-footed would be good - doesn't necessarily need to be 4wd, but RWD probably wouldn't be suitable.

A few things I've thought of:
Saab 9-3 1.9TiD Vector Sport/Turbo Edition/Aero
Honda Civic 2.2 i-CTDi ES
Audi A4 1.9TDi/2.0TDi/2.7TDi S Line
Honda CRV 2.2 i-CTDi ES
Vauxhall Insignia 2.0 CDTi SRi
Ford Mondeo 2.2 TDCi Titanium X Sport
Skoda Octavia 2.0TDi vRS
Ford Kuga 2.0TDCi Titanium 4x4
Volvo V60 D3 R Design

Any issues that should rule any of the above off my list, or any other models I should be thinking of?
Have an interested party in my wife's car, so could potentially be looking to do a deal either at the weekend or start of next week, if anyone has anything suitable?

Loggie

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra
I bought this off @NickR85 a few weeks ago and haven’t even put a quarter tank through it so realising it maybe isn’t required as I thought. Would sell if it’s any use to someone or else just park it up

EB7E3AE0-E52B-4205-86D3-EFA21756E6E7.jpeg

RevT

RMS Regular
I'm in the process of changing jobs and also changing both my car and the wife's car at the moment.
We had decided to change the cars before the job offer came up, but is has added a layer of complexity in the short term.
Basically the plan was for me to sell my car and put the money into getting the wife an SUV.
The new job for me is in Ballinamallard, which is basically a 60mile drive each way every day.
I only need to go down there full-time until Christmas and then I'll be based closer to home.
There will be a company car/car allowance with the job, but I'd rather wait until Spring to get something decent (planning to go down the allowance route)

So basically what I'm looking for is a cheap commuter - less than £5k (ideally more like £3k-ish) - capable of travelling 600miles/week.
Must be something fairly comfortable, which is probably going to rule out small hatchbacks.
Must have cruise control (I'll be on the motorway from Portadown to Ballygawley)
Ideally would like something four wheel drive - my route would be basically motorway to Ballygawley, main road to Fivemiletown, then cross country through Claby, Tempo and Kilskeery. The road from Tempo to Kilskeery in particular is basically like driving over the top of a mountain, so something fairly sure-footed would be good - doesn't necessarily need to be 4wd, but RWD probably wouldn't be suitable.

Honda CRV 2.2 i-CTDi ES
Skoda Octavia 2.0TDi vRS
Volvo V60 D3 R Design

Any issues that should rule any of the above off my list, or any other models I should be thinking of?
Have an interested party in my wife's car, so could potentially be looking to do a deal either at the weekend or start of next week, if anyone has anything suitable?

2003/2004 Audi A4 1.9TDI 130BHP PD engine quattro model is what you need. You’d pick one up in England for <£1500. Super reliable, 55mpg and plenty of power and capabality.

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul

Honda CRV 2.2 i-CTDi ES
Skoda Octavia 2.0TDi vRS
Volvo V60 D3 R Design

Black A6 in the classifieds is quite nice.

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo

Honda CRV 2.2 i-CTDi ES
Skoda Octavia 2.0TDi vRS
Volvo V60 D3 R Design

Tempo to Kilskeery is a class road til you hit the bumps at the cross roads. Don't get an Audi S line for that road! Good luck at Severfield.

Deleted member 13907

D
2003/2004 Audi A4 1.9TDI 130BHP PD engine quattro model is what you need. You’d pick one up in England for <£1500. Super reliable, 55mpg and plenty of power and capabality.
That would be ideal to be honest, but I'm struggling to find any 1.9s (maybe I'm looking in the wrong places).
I know the 2.0PD engine isn't the bulletproof engine that the 1.9PD was, but what are the common things to look for?

Tempo to Kilskeery is a class road til you hit the bumps at the cross roads. Don't get an Audi S line for that road! Good luck at Severfield.
Any time I've been on it I've been stuck behind someone, or lost, so haven't got much experience of it.
Not too many titans of industry in the village - I'm sure it wasn't too hard to narrow down where I was going :joy:

RevT

RMS Regular
That would be ideal to be honest, but I'm struggling to find any 1.9s (maybe I'm looking in the wrong places).
I know the 2.0PD engine isn't the bulletproof engine that the 1.9PD was, but what are the common things to look for?

It’s the B6 model I’m referring to. They’re a bit old now but they’re the best model they made IMO.

1.9PD engine will run up to 2004, 130 6 speed is what you’d be after for the best power/economy/reliability.

Common things are rusty wings, done suspension components, odd steering rack issue and the odd window regulator. That’s really it.

If mine lays down anytime soon I’ll be buying another B6 but in Avant form for my daily duties if I can pick one up at the right money.

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
Any time I've been on it I've been stuck behind someone, or lost, so haven't got much experience of it.
Not too many titans of industry in the village - I'm sure it wasn't too hard to narrow down where I was going :joy:
Well I didn’t think you were doing a 60mile commute to work in the spar shop!

Cookies

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
Ideally would like something four wheel drive - my route would be basically motorway to Ballygawley, main road to Fivemiletown, then cross country through Claby, Tempo and Kilskeery. The road from Tempo to Kilskeery.....

The 04 A4 tdi avant is a great shout. Most wont have cruise though, but it can be retrofitted very easily - get the cruise stalk, lower cowling, and someone with VAGCOM to tick the 'cruise' option, and you're away. A good friend did that in his, and I think it cost him around £150 iirc.

Good luck in the new job. It's a great part of the world, but I'm slightly biased in that regard....

Cheers,

Cooks

Tommy_c

RMS Regular
Drives
mondeo st tdci
Blood Red 08 Audi A4 2.0tdi 140 se b8 ( I think) 180k 11months mot good driver £2500 ovno pics for you in the morning dark outside atm lol

Tommy_c

RMS Regular
Drives
mondeo st tdci
07 1.8 tdci mondeo 105k mot’d new clutch an flywheel £1200 Ono

13 white Mercedes c220 cdi black leather 19” amg multi spoke wheels ( need check notes for price)

08 vw Tiguan 2.0 tdi 80k silver 6speed Manuel mot’d £3500

Deleted member 13907

D
2011 Seat exeo any good ?
69,000 miles,it’s 4k though
Sorry just seeing this now. That sounds good value to be honest, but at the moment I’m swaying more towards a 4x4. I really only plan on keeping the car for until spring so 4x4 sort of seems like the sensible choice for winter duties.

Cookies

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
Sorry just seeing this now. That sounds good value to be honest, but at the moment I’m swaying more towards a 4x4. I really only plan on keeping the car for until spring so 4x4 sort of seems like the sensible choice for winter duties.
What I'm about to say can cause some controversy on many car forums, but dont get too hung up on 4x4 for winter driving. A front wheel drive car with a good set of winter tyres will go places a 4x4 on summer tyres wont.
I have an xdrive 3 series, and my work ford focus, and my wife's old DS3 would drive up the hill past our house without any bother on winter tyres. The xdrive would get up the hill ok, but braking was a whole different ball game. I've fitted winter tyres to our 3 cars now for around 10 years, and wouldn't be without them.
Buy, for example, the exeo. Fit a set of winter tyres for 80 quid a corner. Sell them when you sell the car, and you'll recover some of your outlay.
Cheers
Cooks