Wanted. Grey Ferguson tractor.

Ollie

RMS Regular
Never owned a tractor but fancy one of these.

Think I want a diesel but maybe a tvo is more affordable. Must be mechanically sound but doesn't have to be all painted up.

Also any advice on what to look out for is much appreciated.

Dave..

RMS Regular
Never owned a tractor but fancy one of these.

Think I want a diesel but maybe a tvo is more affordable. Must be mechanically sound but doesn't have to be all painted up.

Also any advice on what to look out for is much appreciated.
Ollie, try Fourtowns auctions in Poyntzpass. Speak to Keith Bicker (his business) tell him I told you to ring him. He knows all the farmers with stuff hidden in sheds.

Ollie

RMS Regular
OP
Ollie
Also should I be looking one with a tax book? Or fo most of them not have?

Steve750

RMS Regular
Drives
750i
Wouldn’t have them. What about a 135? Less common and more useful

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Awesome wee tractors to start out with. I bought 1 for the wife at the start of April and it has been a great wee article. It’s TVO, and starts on petrol (there’s 2 tanks in them, 1 which is about a gallon for petrol and the other which is about 4 gallon for the TVO). You can run them on straight petrol if it’s just for road runs and stuff, but if you plan on doing any work with it or towing you needs to run TVO as they run a bit cooler on it. It’s just a matter of putting 20 litres of kerosene in a drum and 5 litres of petrol to give you the 4:1 mix they need for hard work.

9408E066-616C-41D0-8557-E56299508DE8.jpeg

I bought an old 200 litre sprayer and a 12ft harrow for it, but I cut the 3ft folding wings off each side of the harrow to leave it at 6ft to cut down on tail swing and make it easier for the wife to drive.

Ollie

RMS Regular
OP
Ollie
Awesome wee tractors to start out with. I bought 1 for the wife at the start of April and it has been a great wee article. It’s TVO, and starts on petrol (there’s 2 tanks in them, 1 which is about a gallon for petrol and the other which is about 4 gallon for the TVO). You can run them on straight petrol if it’s just for road runs and stuff, but if you plan on doing any work with it or towing you needs to run TVO as they run a bit cooler on it. It’s just a matter of putting 20 litres of kerosene in a drum and 5 litres of petrol to give you the 4:1 mix they need for hard work.

View attachment 283920

I bought an old 200 litre sprayer and a 12ft harrow for it, but I cut the 3ft folding wings off each side of the harrow to leave it at 6ft to cut down on tail swing and make it easier for the wife to drive.

Yours looks nice. Anything to look for on them? What should I budget?

Marty Lad

RMS Regular
Drives
E46 M3
I like them but I’d advise you to up the budget and get a 3 cylinder Massey 35, much superior tractor. As far as I know the diesel fergies almost all have a 4 cyl diesel that is usually very hard to start vs the 3 cyl Perkins which starts easily in all weathers. The 35s also have live drive and high / low gearbox.
If you are getting any older tractor definitely try to get one with a reg and taxbook as it’s not easy to get one from DVLA. Other than that check that the engine block isn’t cracked and welded - loads of them get cracked in cold weather. Other than that you can get pretty much all parts brand new, the Ferguson stuff is easy to work on and they’re very handy to have.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
My aunt has 2 grey fergies lying in a big shed at the old home place and I'd love to have one to use although I'm sure I wouldn't really need it. I used to help out during the summers on my uncles' farms and always ended up taking in bales or silage with whatever old tractor could be pulled out of hedge and revived. Usually Fergies or 35's, Dexta's, Major's or old Nuffields with metal seats. I was thinking a vineyard Fergie would be a handy yoke for small work. I'd need another shed and a new wife though...8o|

Steve750

RMS Regular
Drives
750i
I like them but I’d advise you to up the budget and get a 3 cylinder Massey 35, much superior tractor. As far as I know the diesel fergies almost all have a 4 cyl diesel that is usually very hard to start vs the 3 cyl Perkins which starts easily in all weathers. The 35s also have live drive and high / low gearbox.
If you are getting any older tractor definitely try to get one with a reg and taxbook as it’s not easy to get one from DVLA. Other than that check that the engine block isn’t cracked and welded - loads of them get cracked in cold weather. Other than that you can get pretty much all parts brand new, the Ferguson stuff is easy to work on and they’re very handy to have.
The 4cyl 35s get the name of being hard to start not the Te20s

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Bump

also do these all have a pickup hitch?
No, and it can be £250-400 for a hitch which operates off the rear lift arms, so it needs to have a locking mechanism so you aren’t having to run with the PTO permanently engaged to keep the hitch up.