Wanted; HGV driving experience

cpa1uk

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk6 Golf R
Hi guys. I know this is a bit of a long shot but thought I would try anyway!
I got my HGV licences 12 years ago but never used them so don't have any experience. I'm just wondering if anyone might know someone who I could get some experience with, preferably in the belfast / newtownabbey area? I am happy to do a day a week alongside my normal job at my own time and expense.
Thanks

Jonny1992

RMS Regular
Drives
too much
Bondelivery is a good shout. I went there with experience fresh out the gate pass

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
Could probably throw a few days work your way but Newry is a painful stretch from Belfast when starting between 530 and 630 😬 then home after driving all day

One of my friends did it for us and it killed him as we're multi drop with handballing

He was recently driving through an agency for shal jalal and bondelivery before that for a stint

If it's been 12 years you may need to do the CPC test? I wouldn't be sure though

Gazzerone

RMS Regular
Just my penny’s worth offered here from personal experiences... don’t do it! Lol 🙄

Firstly I’ll start on a positive note...
There’s def no shortage of work available if you’re prepared to sit down for a day or two & ring around directly to make enquiries & llet companies know you’re available and what you’d like to do.
Agencies are normally reluctant to take on drivers without at least year (or preferably two’s!) experience. When you eventually get registered with them & find you’re being offered work, try to remember they work in their own interests, not yours, so don’t be fooled into making decisions based on a recruitment agent dangling what appears to be a juicy peach of a job offer your way - thoroughly check it out first, it’s usually turns out to be a lemon!
Initially be prepared to take on sh*t jobs at even more sh*t ‘pay’ just to try to gain some experience, and even then, once gain experience, industry pay rates on offer for the hard work / serious responsibilities / risks / dangers / hours involved are a total disgrace & to be perfectly honest, an absolute joke!
Be prepared to work crazy hours & at crazy start / finish times. 4am starts, 12 - 15 hour days and 60+ hour working weeks are the normal in all conditions - hours & times that no normal working person would (or should!) be prepared to accept!

Then add in lack of faculties / VOSA / Speed Cameras / Police, and employers trying to catch you out / fine you heavily or put points on your licences, (for sometimes doing something as serious as working too hard!) after spending thousands of pounds to gain your licences & then keeping them current...

Mmm, read that back & realise I sound a bit cynical here, so suppose I could go on & try & paint a happier picture of the job - but thinking about it now, nope, I can’t, I’d only be lying....! 🥴

Anyway, good luck with your quest, genuinely wish you well! 👍🏻

cpa1uk

RMS Regular
OP
cpa1uk
Drives
Mk6 Golf R
Thanks for the insight into the world of truck driving.
It is definitely an under appreciated job in terms of the hours, conditions and the skill required to drive both articulated and rigid trucks.
I think it's the idea of driving a big wagon like a scania or volvo globetrotter that lures a lot of people into the industry

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Thanks for the insight into the world of truck driving.
It is definitely an under appreciated job in terms of the hours, conditions and the skill required to drive both articulated and rigid trucks.
I think it's the idea of driving a big wagon like a scania or volvo globetrotter that lures a lot of people into the industry
I thought the big draw was the dress code?

BTW, is there anywhere you can just pay a few pound for the craic and get to drive one of these rigs with no licence, around a track, through the gears, bit of reversing, hitching up, pulling the chain for the horn, etc.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
I thought the big draw was the dress code?

BTW, is there anywhere you can just pay a few pound for the craic and get to drive one of these rigs with no licence, around a track, through the gears, bit of reversing, hitching up, pulling the chain for the horn, etc.
I’m sure some big fella will let you sit in his lap lol

Gazzerone

RMS Regular
Under appreciated? Absolutely, never was a truer word said!!
I’ve seen clapping & appreciation for NHS workers, and without doubt deservedly so - but what about all the truckers / delivery drivers who have been exposed on the front line right from the very start too, working their arses off around the clock,in all weathers, quietly keeping absolutely everything going, including the NHS itself?!
Without drivers delivering essential goods & medical supplies, clean linen, medical equipment, food, heating oil & gas etc.. etc.., hospitals, shops & supermarkets would be forced to shut virtually overnight - however don’t see anyone even mentioning or standing out front clapping for us, never mind not offering loyalty bonuses - even some supermarket workers got those!
Supermarkets would be empty, petrol stations shut, homes would be freezing from lack of heating oil / gas, cars can’t be fixed from lack of spares, could go on for ages about everything that would have to grind to a halt! Only difference for us was that we even lost the use of essential, badly needed loo facilities - oh crap, please stop me, I’m off on one again...! 🥴

Last edited: