Wanted; Upright sports bike

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
Looking for a nice upright, the likes of a 2013 + 675 Street Triple R, Speed Triple, Z750 etc

Budget is £5k, may go up a bit for something special.

Must be in very good condition with lowish miles & some nice extras, QS, exhaust etc if possible.

Kesh waiting

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
what are you coming from ?

675 street R is a fantastic bike... sooooo intuitive to ride, almost drops into corners just by looking through.... comfy, capable.... i even did a track day on mine and managed to surprise a few sports bikes !! super bikes

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Great suggestions above, but I'd fancy an early Hypermotard 1100 close to that budget.
Maybe not a sportsbike, but upright and rather sporty.

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
depending on how grunty you are prepared to go a Tuono is a beast of a bike... you could get into V4 engine for that money too (sounds !!)

Z1000 defo great bike, and 'easier' bike to ride... or Z750 (or is it 800 now) small tiger ? 800 ? so many bikes out there now - for sure a few BMW models too.

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
OP
Lappintyre
Drives
Model Y / M3
Last bike was a GSXR 750 K4, 09 Repsol blade before that & a few 600's previous again. Had toyed with a Triumph Street Triple RS, 2017 model, but they start around £7k & its just too much to have lying in the garage 48 weeks a year.

675 Street Triple R is a definitely high up on the list, would prefer to get one local though if possible, there are a few in GB but not keen on buying one unseen.

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
i wouldn't necessarily advise the street tripple in that case.... superb bikes, but they may not 'excite' you... in that they are easy, linear... smooth, but wont give a big bang or be hoisting the front wheel etc - that was probably my biggest issue with it - shouldn't expect anymore from it given its a 675cc middle weight.......

given GSCR and blade... i'd be looking at a V4 tuono ? left field the naked SUzuki 1000 ? i.e. the de tuned K5 motor one ? speed triple a bit more grunty.. but is heavy too.

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
OP
Lappintyre
Drives
Model Y / M3
Didn't think about a Tuono actually.. Had spotted a nice Z750 in green on marketplace but its very strong money & completely standard & the more I think about them & the 675, maybe 105 bhp might get old very quickly..

Not a fan of the naked Suzuki 1000. Really like the look of the speed triple & much better power at the 135, but as you say, not the lightest..

Off to look up Tuono's then lol

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
675 Street Triple R is a definitely high up on the list, would prefer to get one local though if possible, there are a few in GB but not keen on buying one unseen.
I bought a Street R new in 2013 and rode it for just over 3 years. Cracking bike. Never gave an issue. Only thing I had to do was change the gearing on it as it was massively overgeared from factory (would do 75mph in 1st which takes the fun out of a naked middleweight). Never left behind on rideouts with litre class bikes or indeed on the drag at Bishopscourt! Great handling. Test rode a 765RS and truthfully preferred my 675. Would own one again in a heartbeat!
5E74C6B0-E96E-4613-AE41-C600AAC60433.jpeg

Stebo

RMS Regular
Drives
Defender 110
Maybe a bit more money but have you considered ducati supersport? It was the first bike I though of when I read "upright sports bike"

KHI

RMS Regular
Drives
very early!
Gratz,welcome to the Kawasaki club.Couple of my friends have owned/own one.Upgrading the suspension will really benefit that bike.

KHI

RMS Regular
Drives
very early!
The friend that owned one previously fitted the basic Nitron R1 shock and felt it was a massive improvement over the standard shock.He also fitted Hyperpro springs in the front though it was better he still wasn't 100% happy with the front end but has since changed to a Z1000R.

My other friend changed the rear shock (obscure make which I can't remember,i'll update when I see him next).He also got got Clarence Bell to change the fork internals to K-Tech which made a massive improvement.I can attest to that as once he made that change he rides it with a hell of a lot more confidence.He also sent the ECU to Ivan's in the USA for a bench flash,did some sort of airbox mod and put Black Widow headers on it.

KHI

RMS Regular
Drives
very early!
The shock I couldn't remember is from 'Shock Factory' and he says it's very good for the money.