Wanted - vw Golf R32

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
Sorry for the title changes, this thread is just me thinking out loud.

Would like a tidy Golf r32 , £6k max. Need help finding the best and best priced one please.
Tax is a slight annoyance but not much I can do.

Edited post -
I've been looking for a backup car , £6k budget, petrol, local. That's pretty much it.
I'm in a weird place with cars these days , I want hassle free driving ,as in the car will sit about for weeks not doing anything but I'd still like something to jump into if needed but not really care about. Pretty much if its got MOT and it'll get a basic service every year, trickle charger and forget about it. I'll do very few miles. Don't care how it handles or drives to a degree , it'll just be a back-up.
My opinion on it is , it doesn't need to be fun but it would be a bonus. Doesn't need to be lightning quick either, but again it would be nice.

My main thinking at the min is that it would be good if it was DSG so if Mel needs to jump into it for any reason it will be second nature to the S3. 4wd is a bonus too.

Last edited:

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
If you want trouble free motoring with reasonable performance surely the golf GTI must be a good shout

I’d love that Boxster myself though, de-chaved anyway!

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Doesn't need to be fun or lightning quick, DSG a bonus then I can recommend the V6 TT from your list above.

Mine is not quick in the slightest, sounds OK, drinks fuel and isn't the most fun, though handles alright and DSG is nice to use. Bit boring inside though.

Z4 coupe would be better IMO, but out of that lot it'd be boxster for me

Last edited:

Mel

RMS Regular
Drives
S3
Out of that list the Boxster gets my vote :cool:though at that price for a Porsche I'd imagine it would be problematic but that's only guessing :laughing:

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
never realised those z4 coupes where so cheap, hardly ever see any about ever!
That's why it's on the list. Always liked the look of them.
If you want trouble free motoring with reasonable performance surely the golf GTI must be a good shout

I’d love that Boxster myself though, de-chaved anyway!
Yeah Golf is high on the list at the min.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
Doesn't need to be fun to lightning quick, DSG a bonus then I can recommend the V6 TT from your list above.

Mine is not quick in the slightest, sounds OK, drinks fuel and isn't the most fun, though handles alright and DSG is nice to use. Bit boring inside though.

Z4 coupe would be better IMO, but out of that lot it'd be boxster for me
The TT was the first added to my list, hoping to look at it after next week. The Porsche is only on there as Mel's dream car is a Porsche, so it would be nice to say we owned one.

richie_mck

RMS Regular
A bit of a curve ball but there’s a gorgeous 330ci clubsport for sale in Ballymoney elow your budget. Looks to be very clean and a rare spec car nowadays.

2D9893B8-E5A8-4BCC-8A1E-16383FE4EBB8.png

4C4DC0C2-61FE-4C45-BDBF-592C886C8CE8.png

84E0E97A-48D0-434C-9183-65458DA4D394.png

0B3A5D4F-7BEC-416C-954E-33CB71C6D174.png

Steviegsi

RMS Regular
Drives
E46 M3
Something like a v70 volvo estate is what id be looking for for half the budget. For the use your aiming for it may as well be able to carry a wardrobe, go to the dump and tow a trailer!

Gambit

RMS Regular
What colour is the interior in the tt? Looks more like a light blue/grey colour...colour combo is a bit grim tbh. Much is tax on it? Might be 550 which for something sitting in garage is a bit much?

That z4 with a different grill and a set of csl's would look amazing and probably hold its money a lot more than the rest.

That wee clio 197 in the classified would be a bit of fun and again likely to hold its money....you could even throw it round kirkistown (y)

Mk5 gti is safe bet if something thatll just do but not have you looking back in the car park going god that's a good looking car

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Pretty sure the s-tronic TT is £325 tax. The manual and roadsters are £555. Agreed on that interior though.

I don’t want to be a sensible Susan on a forum for car enthusiasts, but do you really need something sporty like the suggestions thus far? I could maybe understand if you didn’t already have an Impreza and an S3! Given your previous mention of constant Ikea trips, what about some sort of estate? V70, Accord etc? I wouldn’t fancy maintaining 1 of these as a 3rd car.

I’ll get my coat.

jimc

RMS Regular
Drives
caddy
Boxster for me all day long, top down when you want and they are fun on the twisty's, as @Mel says like all cars they can be problematicdepends on whats been done maintenance wise , you can probably tell by the tyre makes if they have spent money on the car or not 3.2 shouldn't really be an IMS issue and apart from coffin arms, parts are reasonable big tax band but 8-(
you have my number mate if it's dry in the morning give me a shout will take you for a Skelp up the Green road

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
Yeah the interior in the TT isn't the best, looks kinda blue/grey. He's away on hols as i asked for better pics of the seats for that reason.

As always I'll keep my cars clean but i want something thats almost "dont really care".
Pretty sure the s-tronic TT is £325 tax. The manual and roadsters are £555. Agreed on that interior though.

I don’t want to be a sensible Susan on a forum for car enthusiasts, but do you really need something sporty like the suggestions thus far? I could maybe understand if you didn’t already have an Impreza and an S3! Given your previous mention of constant Ikea trips, what about some sort of estate? V70, Accord etc? I wouldn’t fancy maintaining 1 of these as a 3rd car.

I’ll get my coat.
It won't be a 3rd car but no, it doesn't need to be sporty. It would be nice just. But not to the point where its a performance car if that makes sense?
I did think of an estate but don't want something that size sitting about, especially when I've the van already taking up driveway.

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
From your list the golfs just make more sense.
But

the Z4 for me is still what I would consider to be a great weekend / occasional use car.

still looks fantastic, nice 6cyl engine and you could have a bit of tail out fun too

only noticing it’s a coupe. For that reason I’d be going Boxter.

roof down, you & @Mel going for a spin for the sake of it. It’d be hard to beat

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
Boxster for me all day long, top down when you want and they are fun on the twisty's, as @Mel says like all cars they can be problematicdepends on whats been done maintenance wise , you can probably tell by the tyre makes if they have spent money on the car or not 3.2 shouldn't really be an IMS issue and apart from coffin arms, parts are reasonable big tax band but 8-(
you have my number mate if it's dry in the morning give me a shout will take you for a Skelp up the Green road
My apologies Jim , I'm not sure who you are (My memory is terrible) and I don't keep any numbers.
I see you're into Porche though from looking up previous posts !

I just would hate to buy a car purely on the fun factor as i honestly will rarely drive it. It really will only be if Mel's car is getting work done or she's away. I can use the van for the odd thing nearby but I'd still like a car to go about in.
I actually don't even want a car but think its wise to have one.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
From your list the golfs just make more sense.
But

the Z4 for me is still what I would consider to be a great weekend / occasional use car.

still looks fantastic, nice 6cyl engine and you could have a bit of tail out fun too

only noticing it’s a coupe. For that reason I’d be going Boxter.

roof down, you & @Mel going for a spin for the sake of it. It’d be hard to beat
I'm more thinking of the golf type car if I'm honest.
Realistically if we had the Porsche, the amount of times we'd use it like you describe would be slim to none. Maybe I'm just in a funk but i get the feeling I'd be annoyed with myself not using a Porsche and end up taking it out "just because" which is not what i need right now. It's exactly how i feel about the Subaru at the min so don't want that feeling again.

gsmith

RMS Regular
You know I bought my mk5 genuinely never understood the fuss I’d drove a few before including the one I bought. Having owned it now for nearly 2 months I get it. Nice to drive comfortable easy run go well standard and with a box on them not that I’d know 😉 really livens them up.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
You know I bought my mk5 genuinely never understood the fuss I’d drove a few before including the one I bought. Having owned it now for nearly 2 months I get it. Nice to drive comfortable easy run go well standard and with a box on them not that I’d know 😉 really livens them up.

Totally agree, I’ve had my Golf for a couple of months now, and I can finally understand the hype. Although they definitely need a map, just a shame a Revo map is so bloody expensive for them!

zafturbo

RMS Regular
Is the sti not insured and taxed all year if not would it not be a better / cheaper option to just have it sitting legal all year rather than having 3 cars and a van.
In saying that ,that’s exactly what I have sitting at my door lol.