Watch Mark Higgins smash Isle of Man TT record

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Cess

RMS Staff
On the RMS Blog: In 2014, Mark Higgins set the fastest ever four-wheeled lap round the Isle of Man TT Circuit. On Saturday, Higgins blew his existing lap record to smithereens. He posted an incredible average speed of 126.971mph, setting a time of 17 minutes 49 seconds. In near perfect conditions yesterday (Tuesday), Higgins shaved a further 14 seconds from that he previous best lap...(Read the Full Article Here)

Read the Entire Article Here

Last edited:

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
Pretty amazing that Miggins is on a pace similar to the SuperSport and Superstock bikes and its brilliant that someone has finally got a chance to have a go at it in a properly prepared car rather than his previous efforts.

It would be interesting to see where he is quicker and where the bikes are quicker. Obviously on the big sweepers like the Veranda on the mountain the extra grip from 2 more wheels will help but the bikes must have an advantage at places like on the Sulby straight and through Ballagh where they can go kerb to kerb and the width of the car is a disadvantage.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Pretty amazing that Miggins is on a pace similar to the SuperSport and Superstock bikes and its brilliant that someone has finally got a chance to have a go at it in a properly prepared car rather than his previous efforts.

It would be interesting to see where he is quicker and where the bikes are quicker. Obviously on the big sweepers like the Veranda on the mountain the extra grip from 2 more wheels will help but the bikes must have an advantage at places like on the Sulby straight and through Ballagh where they can go kerb to kerb and the width of the car is a disadvantage.
I'd agree with this too, in fact I would think the car would be quicker on any corner, not just a fast one, but the time advantage is probably better on a fast corner, even with the bike's ability to take a better line, due to it's width.
Not knowing much about the Subaru (or these kind of cars in general) surely a car would be able to out-brake a bike by a considerable distance?
Also what kind of top speed would this car be capable of, or geared to do?

mn5587

RMS Regular
Drives
CLK 55 AMG
Good article and as said its good to see what a well prepared car can do. Although its amazing to think a bike you can go and buy for less than 15k can potentially go faster than a race/specifically prepared car.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Looking forward to seeing the video. I absolutely loved the previous one, found it great to watch.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
TT Zero bike doing 119mph average last year and probably break 120 later today at TT2016.
Need to see how a Tesla or something would compare to that.

Cess

RMS Staff
OP
Cess
A thing I have wondered. Would a two wheel drive car be quicker? Thoughts?

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Good article and as said its good to see what a well prepared car can do. Although its amazing to think a bike you can go and buy for less than 15k can potentially go faster than a race/specifically prepared car.

I doubt any of the bikes racing there cost only £15k....and I know which one I'd rather crash with !

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Surely with the 600bhp that cara running it would be skipping about ok the uneven surfaces if was 2wd instead of 4wd

The grip advantage to use the avaliable power is bound to be much better with 4wd

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Not as easy to simply say 2wd or 4wd....and I'm sure given it's all Prodrive built...it wont be a simple 4wd system at all.

Obviously Subaru have managed to wangle their way into being allowed to do this, but it'd be cool to have a time attack sort of deal with a few cars having a bash at it.

Although the previous attempts in what was mostly a road car although slower have a bit more relevance to the real world.

mn5587

RMS Regular
Drives
CLK 55 AMG
I doubt any of the bikes racing there cost only £15k....and I know which one I'd rather crash with !

I know, that chap was harnessed in with a fulk roll cage around him. The current superstock record is 131.2 mph by Micheal Dunlop on a CBR 1000 in 2013. superstock bikes are on road tyres on a standard road bike with indicators and number plate removed. £8k will buy u one now adays with £7k left over for any other bits you might need

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
I know, that chap was harnessed in with a fulk roll cage around him. The current superstock record is 131.2 mph by Micheal Dunlop on a CBR 1000 in 2013. superstock bikes are on road tyres on a standard road bike with indicators and number plate removed. £8k will buy u one now adays with £7k left over for any other bits you might need
7 grands worth of clean underpants is what I'd need.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D

Is a superstock the same as a superbike? Because Dunlop set a new record this year of 133.39mph.

mn5587

RMS Regular
Drives
CLK 55 AMG
Is a superstock the same as a superbike? Because Dunlop set a new record this year of 133.39mph.

The superbikes are full race prepped bikes with race tyres etc. it still has to be based on a standard bike though. He is flying this year!

zafturbo

RMS Regular
7k to pay for your funeral costs and a few rounds at the local pub.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various

I would guess if the course was all flat with no jumps and dips they could use a lower car and 2WD, I don't know...M3, 911, Ferrari, ? etc. but I suppose the advantage of a 4WD rally car is all the suspension development that's already been done for that kind of road.

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
Yeah, watched the full lap earlier. Total commitment and it looked effortless fir him. The car ran out of revs in 6th on some bits, that's 175mph. Things to work on for next time.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.