Water Leak In Driver's Footwell

Iarracht

RMS Member
Hi,

Over the last few weeks (with the recent heavy rain), I've noticed the carpet in my driver's side footwell becoming saturated. We've tested the scuttle panel and it appears to be fine, no apparent further leaks after we poured water into it. However, it rained again last night and leaks are back. The driver's side door was replaced after someone reversed into my car while parked maybe 4/5 months ago. Could this be causing the leaks? This is probably the first time we've had any serious rain in those 4/5 months.

Mechanic friend said it could be the drainage membrane inside the door itself that has come loose or was never properly fitted. Would this cause water to leak out into the cabin and pool under the carpet?

Any ideas welcome as I don't fancy paying a garage hours and hours of work just to figure out what the issue is, before I pay them to even fix it.

Thanks.

Attachments

• USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image--1453065345.jpeg
    USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image--1453065345.jpeg
    57.2 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:

Johnny_E

RMS Regular
Drives
C220
Had this in a 407. We spent ages examining the firewall side of things.... Ended up being the door seal. Got my son to run the hose on the door top while I sat inside with the inner door trim renoved.

Fixed by shoving an offcut of carwash sponge under the offending seal area which made the seal good again.

Odhran

RMS Regular
Drives
A5 Sportback
What car is in question here? Hopefully an easy fix with not too much effort.

Iarracht

RMS Member
OP
I
Found this when running my finger along the bottom of the seal on the driver's side but not the door itself. Could this hole be the cause of it? See lots of water gathered around the hole in the pic too.

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image--1453065345.jpeg