weld in 200 cell cats

pablo

RMS Moderator
obviously the £60 ebay ones are junk but can anyone recommend a weld in 200 cell cat I could use to replace the std cat on my VX?

std cat, ripe for chop out and weld in a new one.

1582271937279.png

seanmooney

RMS Regular
Courtaney sports do them

was looking up parts last night and noticed it

Mark_C

RMS Regular
merlin motorsport carry a range from various manufacturers
Can you not just gut it ?

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
I could but seemingly its worth a lot of money and also not road legal without a cat

Mont

RMS Regular
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
I’d one of those Magnaflows on the S3 for a few years which did the job rightly.

Although I’d got a short pipe welded each side with flanges, and a separate decat pipe so I could unbolt and swap for MOT. Probably a fair bit of hassle though and perhaps a bit awkward with the downpipe bend so close on yours.

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
If its mot you are worried about a decat should pass ok if cat gutted or a decat pipe if it is not visable behind sheilds. 02 sensors at idle will keep it closed loop, different story if they change the test procedure to higher revs on probe

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
If its mot you are worried about a decat should pass ok if cat gutted or a decat pipe if it is not visable behind sheilds. 02 sensors at idle will keep it closed loop, different story if they change the test procedure to higher revs on probe

Whether it's in closed loop or not, wont matter a damn to what actually comes out the tailpipe. Closed loop doesnt magically turn CO into CO2 etc
And as our tests are still a basic test not actually a proper cat test...even 2001+ is still only a visual for a cat ffs.

Sooner or later that will all change and they're bound to start doing proper tests applicable to vehicles 1992 onwards. At least they'll be busy changing ramps in the meantime to worry about that sort of thing lol