Welding for beginner

saxo_man

RMS Regular
I’m looking to weld two pieces of metal together, both heavy 6mm steel plate, for a telescope project. I have a mighty mig 150 but haven’t used it, it’s just been sitting quietly in the corner of the garage for several years. There are switches with 1 and 2 and min and max as well as wire feed speed dial. I also have a welding mask and leather gloves 👍🏼

I cleaned up a bit of steel plate and run the nozzle across it at various settings and tried welding a nut to it. I’ve beat the nut with a hammer from all angles and it hasn’t moved so I must be doing something right!

Anyone pointers please before I tackle the actual job - welding two pieces at right angles.
IMG_7083.jpeg
IMG_7082.jpeg

billyboker

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus
Its all to do with the right settings for the rod type. Loads loads of practise first its about small circles moving backwards. Tack welds at points.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
I don't see any gas cylinder on the welder?

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Yea just practice with small bits first until you get used to the settings. Tack the plates together and then as above, small circles pulling the “pool” along the area you’re wanting to weld together.

dingle

RMS Regular
Drives
C63 AMG
There's a mig welding forum which will have exhaustive threads on all your questions especially if you don't want to watch you tube.
Also if you want hands on tuition, there's a hobby course in Ballymena tech

saxo_man

RMS Regular
OP
saxo_man
There's a mig welding forum which will have exhaustive threads on all your questions especially if you don't want to watch you tube.
Also if you want hands on tuition, there's a hobby course in Ballymena tech
Thanks, but Youtube has worked well (y)
A bit of practice at home will be sufficient for my purposes.

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
With that thickness of tube a good bevel on the join would have allowed you a bit more penetration. It would have allowed you to run a couple of passes around it.

saxo_man

RMS Regular
OP
saxo_man
With that thickness of tube a good bevel on the join would have allowed you a bit more penetration. It would have allowed you to run a couple of passes around it.
Definitely missed out on doing a bevel. Good to learn these things. Will it hold ok as it is?

lennyd

RMS Regular
Drives
a car
What sort of weight is it holding? It's a stand for a telescope isn't it?

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
You could fill it with concrete to add rigidity and reduce any vibration. Done it with pillar drill stands and it can make a noticable difference on a cheap/chinese drill.
Lead shot is even better apparently.

saxo_man

RMS Regular
OP
saxo_man
What sort of weight is it holding? It's a stand for a telescope isn't it?
There will be about 37kg, COG over the pipe itself, so loading typically vertically downwards on it.

You could fill it with concrete to add rigidity and reduce any vibration. Done it with pillar drill stands and it can make a noticable difference on a cheap/chinese drill.
Lead shot is even better apparently.
I might fill it with concrete in case the weld fails and then it wont fall off!
I have a cheap chinese pillar drill and it vibrates a lot - great tip cheers!