Westfield Wide Body Turbo

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Christ! Any idea where that came from?

Filter should take it, shouldn't affect engine or injectors. But any excuse to upgrade :innocent: Better safe than sorry and all that.

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Wow glad to see no engine damage

What do you think caused the filings to end up there?

Probably a multitude of things - stuff lying in the tank for god knows how long then having the fuel sender fitted possibly.

Anyway, no point associating blame....I’m just glad it was caught early and I’ve had a bit of luck with this car. The wee engine looked after me - hopefully an omen for what’s to come 😍
Christ! Any idea where that came from?

Filter should take it, shouldn't affect engine or injectors. But any excuse to upgrade :innocent: Better safe than sorry and all that.

Only thing i can think of is having the fuel sender fitted but there was likely keek in the tank for a while. I was out with the hoover and doing a dance with the tank above my head to get every little grain out of it.

As this car progresses, there is practically nothing on it that I’m not 100% sure of anymore - a good thing I guess!

You reckon I can run it with these injectors then? I did blow them out and there’s definitely nothing in them!

Last edited:

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
I’d have thought the filter would have protected anything on up from the tank.

It definitely did it’s job but obviously tiny little bits still made it’s way to the injectors. The last chance filters in the injectors caught them but I’ll have them sent off for flow testing just to be sure that they’re good to go.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
No harm checking at all, better safe than sorry and all that. They will be fine though, you'd be surprised what's hiding at the bottom of most fuel tanks after a few years...

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
I knocked up a wee set of carbon wheel arches for the beast. Pretty happy with these

DC67BD29-4D34-4E8F-BD2E-5F75E842EB8A.jpeg

E14CCFC9-37D8-482E-BF9B-A4DBF146BC6F.jpeg

only the rest of the bodywork to do now lol

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
If I leave this pic here, will it get some of you excited?

FCE5EACB-BD77-46B5-89BF-2E763FC6B542.jpeg

WEE JOKES! It’s not mine....yet.

It was in my mate’s shed when I turned up the other night. His friend was fitting it to his Talbot Sunbeam rally car. It happened to be the exact Sequential gearbox I’m after for my own and they’re like Hens teeth to find second hand.

I made him a cheeky offer and he laughed at me lol.

oh well....I’ll continue my search ❤️

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Not at all, we've all been there, wanting to do everything in one go. We're all nuts :innocent:

Take your time, just get it on the road while the weather is still good and spend winter tinkering instead. It's what winters are for :cool:

Reactions: IL

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Not at all, we've all been there, wanting to do everything in one go. We're all nuts :innocent:

Take your time, just get it on the road while the weather is still good and spend winter tinkering instead. It's what winters are for :cool:

It should be on the road for next week. I received the report from EPS who flow-tested the injectors. Seems like they're all good and I only need to refit these and a couple of fuel filters before getting it back on the dyno.

059A39F3-19CE-4240-937B-07340B2BB83F.png

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
A filter that small has no place on any fuel injected engine.

And where did the debris come from ?

Mark at Elite Motor Performance told me to drill a hole in the fuel filter and make a key ring out of it 😂😂😂

I’m waiting on two proper ones arriving - they were supposed to be here yesterday but still nothing. Hoping they arrive tomorrow so I can get the car finished

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
I had a 12 hour stint at the car today and got the fuel system sorted once and for all. I fitted the hardlines down the transmission tunnel with AN fittings coming off them with braided steel flexis at each end.

I changed the routing of the fuel system at the rear and now have both pre and post pump fuel filters.

I’ve not fired the car up yet but I’m confident enough that it’s well sealed. I’ll get back at it tomorrow and check it all with a fresh fill of fuel.

824EB0CD-D371-4DD2-BA74-576F24C0DDE2.jpeg

I will probably reposition the FPR upright when I have a straight AN6-AN6 fitting but this right angled one is the only one I had to hand so will do

76EBA42B-ADE2-4F53-8E76-0887398B7A25.jpeg

I finally fitted the 90 bends to the oil cooler which fairly tidy it up and give me the necessary clearance for under the nose cone.

E576DAB9-7612-48FA-8FF0-B1A5A232FB5F.jpeg

B4653C8C-89B2-4711-B9BF-68A1E9C68289.jpeg

Transmission tunnel in carbon now with my AN6 fuel fittings exiting out the top and through the rear bulkhead. Obviously I’m doing this rear bulkhead in carbon and will fit the necessary rubber grommets to prevent any rubbing but this will do for now as time is tight for mapping on Wednesday!

AFAADA5E-195A-4F10-B22D-2898F5D8CF3B.jpeg

I can’t wait until all the mechanical stuff is done and I can give the cars aesthetics more attention. It’s is desperate need of a wash, a buff and a set of carbon fibre front arches. All the bodywork is sitting there, I just don’t want to fit it and it get dirty or scored while I’m still working on it.

83DAAB43-80FA-4295-AAFE-EE3BD882EA5C.jpeg

Anyway, nearly there! 🤪

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
I had to postpone the mapping AGAIN due to delays - I wanted to get a few miles under its belt before I stuck it on the dyno.

However, I did make GOOD progress today - tidied up a lot of the wiring, fuel lines, got it started and did about 25 miles in the sunshine!

THIS THING IS MENTAL!

I can’t really put into words how rapid this car is....it lights the tyres up in every gear at half throttle. The surge of boost and torque is genuinely like nothing I’ve ever felt, and that’s before it’s even been mapped properly!

I was back and forth today with Mark at Elite Motor Performance, sending him the logs from each run. He said the turbo looks like it’s going to be a real performer as it was making 1.8 bar of boost at the point at which the ECU was cutting boost as a safety precaution (for the old engine setup). That was at sub 4K revs too!

Its like a bloody on-off switch, I can’t even explain. Amazing.

On another note; oil/water temps look good, oil pressure looks good and I’ve no oil or water leaks. The car is badly out of alignment so it’s a wrestling match to keep it in a straight line but that’s easily sorted!

DE19EAFB-CBD3-46F6-A11A-E33695A5F94E.jpeg

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
THIS THING IS MENTAL!

I can’t really put into words how rapid this car is....it lights the tyres up in every gear at half throttle. The surge of boost and torque is genuinely like nothing I’ve ever felt, and that’s before it’s even been mapped properly!

Thats the Buzz right there.. (y):cool: :eek:

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Yep, go really easy on it until it's been properly mapped and run in. Actually, don't drive at all. Things go pearshaped very quickly otherwise. And it's not just that it might go bang, which it probably won't. But that you may end up with problems down the line.

Be patient and just wait until it's all done.

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
You’ve waited all this time.. have patience Man!

Run it in Properly, have it mapped and then you can drive the absolute lining out of it :cool:

I know, I know lol. it was just a couple of quick blasts, nothing more than a couple of seconds on throttle. It will get a good few run-in miles this weekend and mapped Monday 🎉
Yep, go really easy on it until it's been properly mapped and run in. Actually, don't drive at all. Things go pearshaped very quickly otherwise. And it's not just that it might go bang, which it probably won't. But that you may end up with problems down the line.

Be patient and just wait until it's all done.

well mark said I do need to drive it to run it in but only on slow, off-boost spins for about 100 miles then I can do an oil change and go for map. Monday hopefully!