Westfield Wide Body Turbo

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
I had the rally design widetrack on one of mine and it was absolutely fine 👍

I've bought them already and they were cheap so I'll see how they are. If I need to modify them, I will do

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
So as I'm waiting on my clutch, prop, engine mounts, shocks, new front and rear wishbones arriving, I haven't got a lot I can do at the minute.

I saved my fancy Compbrake pedal box from the locost as I wanted to use it in the Westy. The Westfield pedal box uses a single master cylinder setup for the front and rear brakes so I was determined to get it chopped out (it's welded in) and replace it with the compbrake pedal box.

Old...
Screenshot_20191104_210159.jpg

Screenshot_20191104_210140.jpg

Chop chop...
Screenshot_20191104_210240.jpg

This is the Compbrake pedal box which has just been set over the old pedals for reference. It might need a little modification to fit completely into the footwell but it will be a much better setup once in!
Screenshot_20191104_210256.jpg

This is as far as I got as I ran out of cutting discs 😭

The car is currently in pieces as I tore it apart to see what's what and replace all the fuel/brake lines, so it looks a little sorry for itself at the minute.

Screenshot_20191104_211910.jpg

Couple of weeks and it should be done lol

pizza85

RMS Regular
Drives
E92 M3
This is hilarious, fair play to you. Every time i click into one of your threads its either a car fully stripped or a car fully built. No half measures and its class.

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
This is hilarious, fair play to you. Every time i click into one of your threads its either a car fully stripped or a car fully built. No half measures and its class.

Haha! This is the story of my life - all or nothing! lol

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
Two expressions I've learned from reading your threads Kev:

"Heart of a Lion"

"Do it right or do it SH!TE"

Both continue to apply! Top work man. That pedal box is light years ahead of the standard one. I got mine specced with individual master cylinders from the factory but it's a blue Peter job compared to your Compbrake box.

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Two expressions I've learned from reading your threads Kev:

"Heart of a Lion"

"Do it right or do it SH!TE"

Both continue to apply! Top work man. That pedal box is light years ahead of the standard one. I got mine specced with individual master cylinders from the factory but it's a blue Peter job compared to your Compbrake box.

Haha!! I just don't want to ever have to look at it and think 'I wish I had my old pedal box'.

I've learned to be comfortable with taking the grinder to things after building the locost! 😂

Reactions: Rob

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
Let me know how you get on with fitting the pedal box Kev! Mine also has your current setup and I want to buy a new box with twin cylinders but cutting the old one out looks like it’s going to be a right pain in the hoop. I’ve the side panels off though so I’ve more access than you do... you’ll be doing it a lot sooner than me though 😅

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Let me know how you get on with fitting the pedal box Kev! Mine also has your current setup and I want to buy a new box with twin cylinders but cutting the old one out looks like it’s going to be a right pain in the hoop. I’ve the side panels off though so I’ve more access than you do... you’ll be doing it a lot sooner than me though 😅

I'll have to cut the panel housing the master cylinders out and carefully trim a bit off the rear side of the pedal box. Other than that, it won't be too difficult.

This Compbrake box is unreal - so sturdy in comparison to the Westy one. I'd definitely recommend one! You can get the cheaper OBP pedal boxes but I've read a few iffy reports.

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
Cutting out the mounts for my current pedals is the bit concerning me, if I can do that the pedal box should fit straight in with the 25mm cutout section on it. I’ve looked at them all, compbrake is winning but I’m in no panic until I’m fit to work at it again.

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Cutting out the mounts for my current pedals is the bit concerning me, if I can do that the pedal box should fit straight in with the 25mm cutout section on it. I’ve looked at them all, compbrake is winning but I’m in no panic until I’m fit to work at it again.

I didn't go for the one with the 25mm section cut out. It still works perfectly and the master cylinders clear the box section.

This is the one I went for:

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Yeeeoooo!! Some parts arrived today!

BOFI Racing clutch:
LJJ0EIN.jpg

This is the highest torque-rated clutch that I could find - capable for 340ftlbs so there's LOOOADS of power to achieve still! :p

New rose-jointed rear arms:
g0MEQ9u.jpg

Westfield MX5 factory engine + gearbox mounts:
21iVDdD.jpg

I think I am now all set to get the engine fired in this weekend - hopefully the widetrack kit is here too and I can get it all done at once!

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
I got the original pedal box housing modified and cut out completely today, and the Compbrake pedal box chopped enough to fit. Taking a grinder to it wasn't my idea of fun but I got there!

xSu9wL0.jpg

tcaabRQ.jpg

The pedal box needs bolted in but I plan to weld in a steel base plate first then bolt the pedal box to the baseplate. I will do this tomorrow, as well as welding in a baseplate for the lower gearbox mount within the transmission tunnel.

3Imciqq.jpg

While I have a lot of the aluminium covers off, I thought it would be a good idea to replace the fuel and brake lines front to back.

I am hoping to get this lot done over the weekend along with my new front and rear wishbones on, brakes on etc.

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
I've been stripping the car now for says so I was finally able to start putting things back together today.

I got the baseplates for the pedal box and the gearbox mount welded in. The car has every panel and edge sealed with tiger seal so I continued this form.....

ECYdvjZ.jpg

8ZZay2t.jpg

The pedal box is now in once and for all - there is slightly more space between the pedals compared to the Westfield one which feels much nicer.

H7ao25A.jpg

wvjbybh.jpg

I got my seat mounted - this seems like it'd be an easy job but getting the spacing right for the mounting holes is bloody hateful! It's in now though and on rails - all good.

skjjqbg.jpg

gXX0PLB.jpg

I made up a new scuttle top panel. I toyed with the idea of a carbon version but I thought I'd save the expenditure as well as being able to get this done now rather than having to wait on ANOTHER thing arriving.

R5tSdiB.jpg

eqLiBXq.jpg

I drilled my transmission tunnel for the fuel lines and wiring loom mounts so I will get that ticked off this week.

I am currently waiting on a load of new rose joints as well as the wide track kit before I make a start on fitting the four corners. They should be here Tuesday at the latest so as soon as they're here, I will get them fitted.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
At least with this there will be a ready supply of parts which will just bolt on and fit, so less faffing about making things up 👌

Happy days, see if you finish this one before it's torn apart for something else :innocent:😁

Great work as always, keep it up! Do you ever sleep or eat, lol?

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
At least with this there will be a ready supply of parts which will just bolt on and fit, so less faffing about making things up 👌

Happy days, see if you finish this one before it's torn apart for something else :innocent:😁

Great work as always, keep it up! Do you ever sleep or eat, lol?

I will definitely finish this one! lol I should in fact, have most of it done by the weekend! Sleep? What's that?! lol

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
I got the widetrack kit fitted today - it took some persuasion but I got there. Brakes are on too :laughing:

ykF8GzV.jpg

yNH14la.jpg

q6dc3Jd.jpg

CvPWWm1.jpg

I had a bit of trouble with the new rose jointed rear arms - screwing the rose joints into the them is extremely difficult. I tried one of the rose joints into the old arms and they're fine. It seems as if the threads inside the new arms are rougher than they should be - I suspect they've been blasted before powdercoat and the manufacturer didn't cover them up. I'm leaving them over to @PeteMoore in the morning to sort for me.

xPefYuq.jpg

I can't get the rose joints in further than this so this stopped me in my tracks :mad:

HD4uScy.jpg

I have been at it since 9am this morning so probably best I take a break anyway lol

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
What sizes are they? Call around tomorrow and we can clean the threads with a Tap

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
Outstanding progress! Cant wait to see it finished, something like this is on my must own list.