Westfield Wide Body Turbo

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
It is for now because I don't want to get distracted any more than I already have before I get it finished lol

I have though bout a lairy green wrap though! Lol

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
So I leave it like this for tonight.....the car is going together so well at the minute, I am very surprised!

BYr8wGL.jpg

The two random little threaded inserts welded to the top of the chassis turned out to be the perfect intercooler mounts - I suspect the previous owner ran the same radiator/intercooler setup as me because this can't be coincidence. Nonetheless, I am delighted that I don't have to overwork the intercooler mounts - just some 120mm M6 bolts through these and into the original rad threads :cool:

b7XFCn9.jpg

I offered up the exhaust and thankfully, it also fits perfectly. I was thinking I'd have to redo the manifold as well as the downpipe etc but nope......all bolts straight up!

uQX7G34.jpg

P.S. This tiny garage is doing my box in but beggars can't be choosers. I was spoilt with a triple garage at my parent's old place :sob:

I had an issue with the flywheel I got for it....well, it was the wrong one! I shot out tonight and picked up another one so I will be back at it tomorrow to get the clutch, flywheel and gearbox in then measure up for the prop length!

Gaz86

RMS Regular
So I leave it like this for tonight.....the car is going together so well at the minute, I am very surprised!

BYr8wGL.jpg

The two random little threaded inserts welded to the top of the chassis turned out to be the perfect intercooler mounts - I suspect the previous owner ran the same radiator/intercooler setup as me because this can't be coincidence. Nonetheless, I am delighted that I don't have to overwork the intercooler mounts - just some 120mm M6 bolts through these and into the original rad threads :cool:

b7XFCn9.jpg

I offered up the exhaust and thankfully, it also fits perfectly. I was thinking I'd have to redo the manifold as well as the downpipe etc but nope......all bolts straight up!

uQX7G34.jpg

P.S. This tiny garage is doing my box in but beggars can't be choosers. I was spoilt with a triple garage at my parent's old place :sob:

I had an issue with the flywheel I got for it....well, it was the wrong one! I shot out tonight and picked up another one so I will be back at it tomorrow to get the clutch, flywheel and gearbox in then measure up for the prop length!

Did you delete the thread on Facebook? I canโ€™t find it now. There was another fella with a lightened flywheel I was going to contact about my own

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
So today I got my new flywheel + BOFI clutch fitted, gearbox in, engine/gearbox mount positions finalised and fitted, fuel lines sorted, carbon cycle wings on and started laying out the loom. I am waiting for the rear arms to be finished before I can sort out the back end but I'm happy enough with the progress.

1wXE8KC.jpg

FbeuTrD.jpg

OQEHOzg.jpg

KF3e9S9.jpg

VSaMsti.jpg

nw7LE1N.jpg

There is sooooo much room under the V8 bonnet compared to my Locost. I could raise the engine significantly if I wanted more sump clearance - I should have 100mm clearance at ride height so I will leave it as is for now.

soIZl9S.jpg

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Thirteen hours was spent at this today so I am done now until the weekend. I got the rear end finished with the exception of one rose joint that has gone awol and two braided brake lines for which I am waiting on banjo bolts.

WnBsuBj.jpg

Brakes in:

g0AyTyk.jpg

Wheels on and looking fat!

ZYf8640.jpg

I also managed to get the exhaust mount done tonight before I left - the exhaust is now ready to go on!

IyaTjYL.jpg

Intercooler fitted via the two 'random' threaded inserts on the top chassis rail. Discovering this saved me a LOT of hassle. I am waiting on some aluminium crush tubes to add extra rigidity for these top mounts but this is how the rad+intercooler will mount.

2shasWw.jpg

Obviously I need to cut the intercooler pipes down and add a joiner there as these sit further out than they did on the Locost. No hassle though!

Last edited:

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Boom.... Shocks finally arrived! They're Protech 400 Series Double Adjustables (bump and rebound adjustment)

The seller had a genuine Bosch 044 fuel pump for sale so I took that also!

Its about time I took a day off to get this thing finished!

AqgOYh8.jpg

Last edited:

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Good man, decent wee shocks, Alloy bodied - nice and light :grinning:

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
I got a couple of hours at the car today so I was able to start into fitting the electrics. I got the loom and fuel lines secured through the transmission tunnel...

EFxwSqh.jpg

ik9HxDo.jpg

I got the propshaft in...

xsE8x7g.jpg

And got the rear braided brake lines on but no picture!

I wasn't able to get the new shocks in because they're a 1/2" bush whereas the Westy uses 7/17" bolts. I've a guy making me some reducers in a lathe tomorrow then I will be able to get them in.

I will spend the entire day at it tomorrow so I am hoping to have the fuel tank back in and fuel pump/filters in to complete the fuel system.

From there, I will only need to do odd jobs like securing the header tank and catch can before adding fluids to finally be able to start it :laughing:

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
From there, I will only need to do odd jobs like securing the header tank and catch can before adding fluids to finally be able to start it :laughing:
Adding fluids............. I'd have been adding lot of bottles of fluids in the form of Morgans to my myself long ago ๐Ÿ˜‚

A catch can, there's an idea ^o)

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Adding fluids............. I'd have been adding lot of bottles of fluids in the form of Morgans to my myself long ago ๐Ÿ˜‚

A catch can, there's an idea ^o)

Ha! I've been doing the same. Sure it's Christmas! Lol

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Another day at the car today and I am making good progress.....I got the wiring loom mostly finished and the fuse/relay boxes mounted. I tried to keep it neat and compact under the scuttle. So many kit cars are hideous and hazardous under there but this is something I wanted to do right. I also wrapped the different sections of the engine loom into one piece of convoluted tubing to further clean up the engine bay. I am pretty happy with it but there is more to do as I go on.

9a76ixG.jpg

I also fitted the fuel pressure regulator and engine-side fuel lines

0iXwJdO.jpg

Protech shocks in - I think I will end up getting these springs powder coated black as I am not keen on the silver!

5h6ROc2.jpg

s23wWKX.jpg

I got my dashboard almost finished - gauges, switches, speedo and most importantly, the rotary map switch in place....this allows me to terrorise the neighbourhood with AK47-like bangs then turn it off when I need to hide :joy:. High and low boost also available here but what even is low boost anyway?!

cJNkxn4.jpg

N0d2Bbw.jpg

I swapped out the stinky old bulb-type red and orange tail lights. The outer light on each side is an all-in-one tail, brake and indicator LED light. The driver side inner light is an LED fog and the inner passenger light is the LED reverse light.

XbvQL98.jpg

I also started fitting the header tank and catch can - I am determined to have this running by Sunday!

Qerg0Qa.jpg

ErLjhtf.jpg