Westfield Wide Body Turbo

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
I’ve to scoot down tomorrow and pull the front of the engine off to locate what he thinks is a nut behind the timing belt. Eeeek.....

teething problems lol

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Lucky escape there hopefully. 👍
I know, definitely. What’s annoying is that I searched high and low for an awol 10mm nut the other day and couldn’t find it. I’ll not be surprised if that’s it, but very annoyed that it could have caused serious issues

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Flipping hell, what a day.

I got down to Elite for around 10am and started into stripping the car apart. Having stripped the upper timing covers off, it was clear that there was some damage done as the belt was frayed and the timing cover had cracked. So, I kept stripping the front end off the engine in search of the b@#!##rd...

With the engine in situ, getting at the crank pulley was very difficult so the radiator had to come off, then the steering rack too as we didn’t have quite enough room to get the impact gun onto the crank pulley bolt.

Anyway, turns out that it WAS the awol 10mm nut caused the problem....

233AC220-C5A9-497D-85F8-C01B2D6511F4.jpeg

09D6E118-9B46-4549-ACCB-487A69DFCCE7.jpeg

When the crank pulley came off, look what I found behind it 😳

5F4D043E-F748-4CB3-9AB2-5C014F79A982.jpeg

Straight on the phone to MX5 Parts NI for a new timing belt kit and off I went to get it.

I got the lot back together and the car sitting back to where it should have been yesterday (10mm nut-free) by about 8.30pm tonight and off home I went.

Hopefully only good news from here on out.......sure what else can go wrong?! 😂😂😂😂

needless to say, I can’t wait until this is done! Lol

oh, I actually picked up a little android tablet tonight on my way home to start setting up my MDash - this is going to look pretty cool. This is completely configurable to whatever I want - I can display pretty much anything that the ECU actually reads here in any configuration I prefer. I’ll also have all of my boost/traction/launch control and anti-lag settings switchable via the tablet rather than having physical buttons. Unnecessary but very cool!

BFA4CED0-1B4C-451C-8714-1DDCC57B0E3F.jpeg

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Oh man, lucky catch there, could have been so much worse.

If it's any consolation, if it were me there would have been a couple of spanners and a screw driver left in there :innocent: And half a dozen bits left over that I would have no idea what to do with 😅

As for the dash, keep it simple. So easy to get carried away and clutter it up with stuff you'll never ever look at when driving.

S2K-Aaron

RMS Regular
Drives
Daily Hack
That was Lucky! Could have been worse but least you got it sorted. Looks great all the Fresh Carbon looks ace

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
enough of all this treasure hunt for 10mm nuts.............. we need to see NUMBERS :grinning:

as soon as I know, everyone here will know. Don’t worry about that lol
Man if it wasn’t for bad luck you would have none 😂 heart of a lion!

I know dude but it’s hard to blame anyone/anything/bad luck on my own stupid mistakes

on the flip side of things, I’m lucky it was caught at this stage and we were only set back by a day.

Last edited:

richie_mck

RMS Regular
Hopefully that’s the last bit of bad fortune behind you and you get to properly enjoy it afterwards, it’s going to be an absolute animal

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
He must be running it to map it now so it must 'work' to some degree I guess.

He'd have been on the phone to you otherwise.

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
He must be running it to map it now so it must 'work' to some degree I guess.

He'd have been on the phone to you otherwise.

haha, you’re on the edge of your seat! Lol. I’ve still not heard anything man. As soon as I do, I’ll let you know. Hopefully hear something by the weekend

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Still no mapping updates so just passing time knocking out more carbon parts....

Blade aeroscreen
45FB2D28-D5BA-4BC9-9075-298A473C3BB6.jpeg

CSR arches (because my other set wasn’t good enough)
F41756C8-ACAF-4800-BC97-A0D761DD07FC.jpeg

D11B617C-9049-4F3A-9C6A-71505B7897F3.jpeg

And the tooling gelcoat layer applied to the bonnet...
1D759A64-B42D-4C8F-96F7-4B074FF04D18.jpeg