Westfield Wide Body Turbo

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Not much of an update - I had some issues with my pedal box recently. I could not get any pressure down the brake lines despite the entire system being new. Checking and rechecking the brake lines, refilling and trying to bleed again multiple times to no avail led me to look at the master cylinders. I'd bled the clutch a few days prior without any issues so I decided to switch the clutch master cylinder to the front brake and I instantly got brake fluid at the calliper.

I did a little Google search and found other people reporting that despite the Compbrake pedal boxes being relatively expensive, the master cylinders they use are Chinese sh*t, so I opted to replace them all.

A 2.5hr round trip to Montgomery Motorsport in Augher today got me these......

Om0aNJs.jpg

I only NEEDED two master cylinders (one for each brake set) but while I was there, I figured it would be wise to replace even the one working cylinder that I had. I also grabbed some proper brake fluid and a new 6 bolt quick release steering wheel boss.

I will be back at the car tomorrow to get them fitted and FINALLY bleed my brakes!

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
I got the new Girling master cylinders fitted today and the brakes bled....FINALLY. Soooo much better feel in the pedals with these compared to the previous ones!

1wV44BP.jpg

I was also able to go in and fiddle with the ECU settings to allow for the Koso dashboard to take an RPM signal directly from the ECU - this saved me from having to wrap a pulse wire around the spark plug. This took a bit of trial and error but this is now reading RPMs perfectly.

FoW1Zdw.jpg

I'm fussy and wanted to make sure all the functions worked, so I got the indicator and main beam icons working on the Koso today. I just need to mount up the speedometer sensor somewhere on the prop tomorrow to get an accurate speed reading.

One of my headlights was slightly defective (one of them lit up differently to the other) so the last job tonight was fitting the replacement.

Mjk7cdW.jpg

Then I dropped the heatgun on my hand and decided to go home.....

kqa9skn.jpg

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Nothing exciting happened today - I got my aluminium engine mount risers in, headlight fitted and did more fiddling with the digital dashboard. I got the speed sensor mounted at the rear, just above the driveshaft. It's a magnetic pickup but I haven't sorted the settings yet and still haven't driven it to see how accurately it's reading speed.

JeoMVog.jpg

q4oNuhz.jpg

I am NEVER getting bored of these headlights!

ThbPfWt.jpg

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
Good work on booking the MOT!

For the speedo sensor did you put the pickup on the propshaft rather than the driveshaft like you’ve said? Hopefully the former as the driveshaft would give dodgy readings!

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Good work on booking the MOT!

For the speedo sensor did you put the pickup on the propshaft rather than the driveshaft like you’ve said? Hopefully the former as the driveshaft would give dodgy readings!

Cheers Paul! I was advised to put it on the Driveshaft because it rotates the same amount of times as the wheel and therefore I can use the wheel circumference to get an accurate reading.

Why do you think the driveshaft would give dodgy readings?

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
If you have any wheelspin at all then the speedo is going to show crazy speed that’s not your actual speed and therefore it isn’t advised. I’ve never seen one on a driveshaft before. For the Tiger I put the pickup above the flange where the propshaft goes into the diff and stuck the magnet to it and it worked 100% and passed SVA that way.

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
If you have any wheelspin at all then the speedo is going to show crazy speed that’s not your actual speed and therefore it isn’t advised. I’ve never seen one on a driveshaft before. For the Tiger I put the pickup above the flange where the propshaft goes into the diff and stuck the magnet to it and it worked 100% and passed SVA that way.

Ah I've heard various conflicting things lol. I was told not to put it on the front wheel because if the wheel lifts going around a corner for example, it's not a true reading either. Wheelspin will likely be a much bigger issue on my car than a front wheel lifting. Lol

P.S. Does the propshaft not turn proportionately to the rear wheels and therefore, if the rear wheels are spinning at a speed beyond that of my actual moving speed, then so does the prop?

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
With a locked diff I guess it would do, I’m starting to doubt myself about it all now lol. Crack on with the driveshaft, for MOT purposes it will be fine I’m sure and any other time your being sensible it’ll also be fine lol

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Over thinking it I reckon, unless you need the speedo feedback for traction or Lauch control why do you ever really need it to be super accurate?

The odd glance to make sure your not flying as you approach a speed limit is all I ever required it for!

Last edited:

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
The propshaft or diff flange would be best at it moves around less being rigidly fixed and won't change when you've cornering whereas the 2 driveshaft speeds will.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Either at the output of the gear box, or on the hub, either work depending on what's easiest for mounting/routing. On the original Lotus it's at the hub because that's where Rover put them. With the Honda we moved it to the gear box as that's where Honda have it, lol. On the gear box it's probably more protected and no cables around the suspension, etc.

Either way it will have to be calibrated against wheel size.

If you're on the limiter wheel spinning all the time not moving then you have other problems :grinning:

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
The propshaft or diff flange would be best at it moves around less being rigidly fixed and won't change when you've cornering whereas the 2 driveshaft speeds will.
I've actually just remembered that Caterhams have the speed sensor on the drivers side driveshaft

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
I've actually just remembered that Caterhams have the speed sensor on the drivers side driveshaft

This is where I was going to put it. As Iain says, I reckon it's a case of overthinking. I don't care if its inaccurate when I'm spinning the wheels as I've other things to worry about then (like not putting it into the ditch) I only want accurate speedo readings when I'm tiddling through town. 😎

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
Rolled it out into the 'sunshine' and took a better one lol

Look at the wee grin, haha! Fair play Kev, must be the fastest kit car build in history! And it looks great in red, I wouldn’t change the colour at all. It goes well against the carbon splitter and the flared sides will really set it off. I would blacken the slats in the nose or even look to see if you could cut them out and mesh it instead.

Top job, best o luck for MOT!!

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Look at the wee grin, haha! Fair play Kev, must be the fastest kit car build in history! And it looks great in red, I wouldn’t change the colour at all. It goes well against the carbon splitter and the flared sides will really set it off. I would blacken the slats in the nose or even look to see if you could cut them out and mesh it instead.

Top job, best o luck for MOT!!

Haha! I was waiting for someone to notice. Its hard not to giggle when it's spitting flames.... Just mental.

I'm going to try get a date sooner if my handbrake cables arrive tomorrow. No point putting it off any longer! Lol.

See you in Feb at Kirk?!?!

P. S. I'm going to get the slats in the nose cone cut out at some stage and filled/meshed as they look brutal but just focusing on the mechanics for the next couple of weeks.

BBSBOY

RMS Regular
My speedo drive is off the front right wheel, picks up on the brake disk to hub mounting bolts.

Reactions: IL

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
Don’t know about Feb Kev, unless there’s some unseasonable warm weather lol!

My speed pickup is on the back axle same place as it shows in the manual, picks up the drive studs where the drive shaft bolts to the diff. As benny says, it’s not something you really look at much in a kit car so I doubt you’ll ever be too bothered during wheel spin