Westfield Wide Body Turbo

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Don’t know about Feb Kev, unless there’s some unseasonable warm weather lol!

My speed pickup is on the back axle same place as it shows in the manual, picks up the drive studs where the drive shaft bolts to the diff. As benny says, it’s not something you really look at much in a kit car so I doubt you’ll ever be too bothered during wheel spin

Haha, that's fair enough. I'm itching to get out so I'm going to try tolerate the brutal chill.

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
I've just been doing the final few bits pre-MOT. Interior is now finished, all of the gauges are working, the switches do what they're supposed to and the handbrake is fitted and working well. I wrapped the transmission tunnel top in carbon vinyl which looks OK. I will change this for real carbon later down the line but this will do for now.

I fitted a Motamec steering wheel which is too flexible for my liking so I've ordered a new OMP wheel. It's not a flat bottom and is 20mm smaller in diameter which should work a little better.

Audi TT gear surround finishes the gearstick area nicely IMO.

XkLCyJU.jpg

wA50vbT.jpg

tzOSf3M.jpg

A9rwMFC.jpg

I've also ordered a new carbon dash but that will be fitted after the MOT.

I am still waiting on my flared carbon side panels and pedal box cover - hope they're here in time for MOT!

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
Nice foot rest lad! Practical AF :p

It looks great, you’re going to have some fun this year! Just noticed she has black panelling as well, not many have that, looks so much better than bare alloy.

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Nice foot rest lad! Practical AF :p

It looks great, you’re going to have some fun this year! Just noticed she has black panelling as well, not many have that, looks so much better than bare alloy.

Haha cheers man. You're right, I'm going to have the best craic! Lol.

Footrest seems a bit close to be honest - might need to pull the passenger seat back a bit

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
I replaced the flat-bottom 320mm Motamec steering wheel with a round, 300mm OMP one - slightly smaller, feeling much nicer in your hands and definitely better quality!

lv1MR9r.jpg

I flushed the clutch and brake lines again and bled using this Sealey Easybleed tool. It takes pressure from the tyre to pressurise the system and feeds fluid to the reservoir. So easy to use and makes life a million time easier considering I do all of the work on this car alone.

gro0WM4.jpg

At this point, I was tempted to run and get some fuel to take it for a quick rip but decided against it since it's so wet outside. lol

Off to Edinburgh for a few days but you can expect a donut video by the weekend :p

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
Drives
S2000
I replaced the flat-bottom 320mm Motamec steering wheel with a round, 300mm OMP one - slightly smaller, feeling much nicer in your hands and definitely better quality!

lv1MR9r.jpg

I flushed the clutch and brake lines again and bled using this Sealey Easybleed tool. It takes pressure from the tyre to pressurise the system and feeds fluid to the reservoir. So easy to use and makes life a million time easier considering I do all of the work on this car alone.

gro0WM4.jpg

At this point, I was tempted to run and get some fuel to take it for a quick rip but decided against it since it's so wet outside. lol

Off to Edinburgh for a few days but you can expect a donut video by the weekend :p

Its coming along really well, the new steering wheel suits the cabin a lot better. Eagerly await weekend donuts (y)

The heat gun fairly left its mark on you, blood, sweat and tears at this point :joy:

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Its coming along really well, the new steering wheel suits the cabin a lot better. Eagerly await weekend donuts (y)

The heat gun fairly left its mark on you, blood, sweat and tears at this point :joy:
Was just going to ask about that hand, lol, these cars will be with you for life 😁

Haha, yeah ffs it turned out a right nasty little burn. Ill not forget my year of pretending to be a mechanic in a hurry!

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Im not keen on fiddling with the geometry anymore because no matter how well I do it, it won't be done right. I'll get a professional to do this!

The alignment is well off - one wheel toe out, one wheel toe in, the steering wheel pointing right when going straight etc lol. As you can see in the video, it's darting all over the road but this DOES NOT MATTER!! Lol

Despite 261bhp and greasy roads, the brutal aligmnent makes it very difficult to hold onto in a straight line nevermind when it's sliding about. Lol.

I'm going to try get it in for a geo setup this week but this didn't stop me from taking it for a spin anyway. Excuse the noises - my passenger seat isn't bolted in here and my phone was duct taped to the roll cage for the purposes of this video.

I did get it out for a few donuts with antilag on etc.... However, when I got back in and checked the video, it had stopped before I'd even reversed it out of the driveway. Lol.

Tomorrow...... Fix all the rattly sh*t, maybe fiddle with alignment (MAYBE), give the brakes another go at bleeding, bolt the passenger seat in and try record another video lol

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Finally a car that goes 👍

Personally I'd have gone for a good warm hat though.

Haha! It's hanging together so needs some tweaking but I was eager to get it out!

I've got my helmet but I wasn't arsed with taking it on and off only for short little blips

I'll come to yours once it's ready and you can take it for a spin yourself

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Animal of a car, and in this cold! I had the mountaineering down jacket and wool hat on today 😁 In the Volvo :joy:

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Animal of a car, and in this cold! I had the mountaineering down jacket and wool hat on today 😁 In the Volvo :joy:

Haha, I surprisingly wasn't as cold as I expected although it may have been the adrenaline. I'll get some better videos soon!

neil-c

RMS Regular
Epic job getting this built so quickly! Looking forward to some track day videos in the coming months! 👍

pablo

RMS Moderator
for alignment put the steering wheel in the middle of the rack travel, unbolt the wheel and get it close to centre then turn the wheel until its straight. then adjust the track rod ends until both wheels are straight. will get you close enough,

unlucky on the breakdown but these things can be a little iterative lol

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
for alignment put the steering wheel in the middle of the rack travel, unbolt the wheel and get it close to centre then turn the wheel until its straight. then adjust the track rod ends until both wheels are straight. will get you close enough,

unlucky on the breakdown but these things can be a little iterative lol

Thanks mate. I intended to do the alignment today but knowing it's probably a full-day effort, I put it off and decided to take it a spin instead lol..... Shouldn't have bothered

I've been watching a few videos on YouTube using the string method to set basic toe-in etc. The steering wheel being so far off would drive me mad as well. Both front wheels are now far too toe-in so it's still handling terribly.

I'll give the string alignment method a rattle tomorrow and try get the diff out for a look as well.

I'm praying it's not as bad as I expect but I can't see how it would have made those noises and locked up without there being irreparable internal damage. Oh well...

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
String alignment works well - IF you have the right gauges and the necessary patience to do it accurately. On cars like these it's fractions of millimetres.

In fact, "laser" alignment is exactly the same as string alignment. It just uses a "laser string", and has gauges for keeping the "strings" parallel.

All down to gauges, and accuracy in setting it up.

In all honesty it's rarely worth the bother doing yourself.

Another thing - with cars as light as these it's important to have the driver weight in the driver's seat when doing the alignment (and corner weights, etc.). That's actually one of the main reasons for doing it yourself.

On the Lotus the difference is 10mm ride hight on the driver's side with driver weight in. With 40mm of suspension travel that's significant.

I have a special driver simulator in the form of a couple of sandbags and some bar bell weights :innocent: