Westfield Wide Body Turbo

rupertfinch

RMS Regular
Amazed at how quickly it gets to 30mph on urban roads 😂😜
Hope all ok with diff! A brilliant job, well done for the hard work.

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Amazed at how quickly it gets to 30mph on urban roads 😂😜
Hope all ok with diff! A brilliant job, well done for the hard work.

To be honest, when I drove it in the most recent video it felt remarkably slow compared to my previous Locost. I realised only after the diff locked, that it was in fact binding up and acting like a brake.

Diff is fubbered - I am doing another video so you can see what I found when I pulled it out and inspected it today. HOWEVER, I found a guy in Dungannon who has an identical one for sale, so I am leaving in an hour to go collect.

CAR WILL BE FIXED TOMORROW lol

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
My idea of fun isn't this 😂

Plenty of glittery stuff in there and the ring gear do not look good. Probably repairable though. A good wash out and it might run free.

No, it's not my idea of fun either. I said to my brother about 6 months into the Locost build "I hate working on cars!" lol.

Yeah, plenty of glittery stuff but I was convinced that it would be completely smashed inside given the noises that were coming from it. A few others have suggested that maybe new bearings will sort it but we will see

Ged

RMS Regular
Drives
sexmo VTS
Thats not bad at all, I keep meaning to update the 110 thread as I recently almost did a stoppie, After spending over 2h beating and hammering at the caps inside the axle housing as the whole casing expanded under the impact heres what I found, it drove 30 miles whining in this condition.

DSC_0283 (1).JPG DSC_0284.JPG DSC_0285 (1).JPG DSC_0286.JPG DSC_0291.JPG

And the offending item the bolt that used to hold the bearing cap that wasnt tightened.... M12 well it was...
Last time i use axles without splitting them ill tell ya.

DSC_0289.JPG DSC_0290.JPG

Keep at it, not be hard to sort it,

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Thats not bad at all, I keep meaning to update the 110 thread as I recently almost did a stoppie, After spending over 2h beating and hammering at the caps inside the axle housing as the whole casing expanded under the impact heres what I found, it drove 30 miles whining in this condition.

View attachment 263237 View attachment 263238 View attachment 263239 View attachment 263240 View attachment 263243

And the offending item the bolt that used to hold the bearing cap that wasnt tightened.... M12 well it was...
Last time i use axles without splitting them ill tell ya.

View attachment 263241 View attachment 263242

Keep at it, not be hard to sort it,

Haha, that bolt is in some nick! Were you able to repair that diff then?

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Might be worth sending that off to see of it can be repaired/refurbished. With any luck you might get away with a good clean and a bearing or two.

Hard to tell from pictures though. A diff like that works on friction between the diff wheels so it might be beyond (economic) repair even if it doesn't look too bad to the eye.

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
i guess the bearings likely overheated first and tightened ? the actual gears look 'ok' ?

take no mechanical advice from me though........ i raced (tried to) a car with a trailing arm cable tied out of the way (had broken off) on a live axle seven many moons ago.. i try to stay as far away from the mechanical side as i can !!

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
i guess the bearings likely overheated first and tightened ? the actual gears look 'ok' ?

take no mechanical advice from me though........ i raced (tried to) a car with a trailing arm cable tied out of the way (had broken off) on a live axle seven many moons ago.. i try to stay as far away from the mechanical side as i can !!

Haha!! Mark that definitely sounds like something I'd do! lol

Reactions: IL

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Apologies for that premature update...unfortunately it wasn't as easy as I make it look (or as quick) lol

I thoroughly flushed the new diff with standard oil then drained again before filling it with my Redline Heavy Shockproof oil. I cant wait to see how this feels - apparently it makes the Sierra LSD lock a lot harder! Big lob of RTV and backplate back on before leaving it sitting upright overnight to cure.

N3yyUow.jpg

The only issues I couldn't sort myself were the rear fog light and the reverse light. An autospark came and helped me last night and we got the lights finished off - everything should be in order now for MOT.

kZg9w8U.jpg

5bp3Y6m.jpg

qMDLKVv.jpg

And I changed the colours of the dash switches, GReddy gauges and Koso Speedo to match the rest of the car...

r97oxHF.jpg

That was yesterday anyway but today, aside from fitting the LSD, I had a bit of a pain with the clutch slave cyl. The pedal box kept randomly appearing wet but I couldn't identity the leak. I looked at the clutch slave cyl and as I put my hand on it, it fell apart. This couldn't have done more than 2 miles between this and the old Locost. It was a brand new eBay item - pure keek.

kZQztuN.jpg

Anyway, I ordered a better one from Ballynahinch Motor Factors and collected a couple of hours later. I will fit tomorrow.

The race is on now to get the last few jobs done for MOT. I just need to put a couple more bolts in the engine mounts, sort the alignment, bleed the clutch and fit the carbon side panels - they're beaut. I cant wait to see them fitted.

YOLO

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Great stuff, keep it up :cool: Once past MoT it's just "normal" tinkering left!

You need a "baby on board" sticker beside the "boost inside" one 🙃

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Great stuff, keep it up :cool: Once past MoT it's just "normal" tinkering left!

You need a "baby on board" sticker beside the "boost inside" one 🙃

haha!! Good idea actually! Maybe I’ll get a baby seat in the passenger side and launch it with anti-lag etc lmao! I’m sure that would get a fair few raised eyebrows

neil#66

RMS Regular
Great thread, such fun cars to work on, and can learn so much from them. Enjoy seeing these coming in for mot, everyone of them has something different under the bonnet and running different specs. And have yet to see one fail (unless the emissions are off the scale)

keep up the good work 😎

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Great thread, such fun cars to work on, and can learn so much from them. Enjoy seeing these coming in for mot, everyone of them has something different under the bonnet and running different specs. And have yet to see one fail (unless the emissions are off the scale)

keep up the good work 😎

thanks man! I’m guessing you’re an MOT tester? Where do you work? I’ll be at Lisburn at 12pm Saturday - hopefully you’re there and can pass me 😂

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
I am yeah (awaits all the haters) based in Coleraine (loads of hate coming now), just don’t be late or go to the wrong lane and you should be fine lol

haha, Most of the MOT guys who do my cars have been dead on tbf!

tell me this, is an oil leak an MOT fail? I’ve not yet sorted the slight oil leak from this. It’s coming from the cam seals and only appears after about 15mins once the car is up to temp.

I can’t be arsed taking the front of the engine off to sort it because I intend to have it forged soon anyway and it will obviously be sorted then.

*edit - it’s not excessive. Just a slight drip once up to temp. It runs down from behind the front of the rocker, down the block and then down the sump cover....